What type of diet is best for me?

Options
Hello, I have been experimenting with eating healthy in general, because I generally don't have the 'taste' for most healthy foods... but I'm not sure where to actually "start" my weight loss journey.

I have hypothyroid, taking 50mcg levo (~2 years, I'm 21)
My weight had leveled off for about a year but started compounding again this summer
I am concerned about heart disease, so I pay close attention to cholesterol, etc.
I drink socially and not more than once/mo, but 'heavy' when I do (2-3 drinks, no beer/shots)
Prior to thyroid problems I was low BMI and in great shape, mostly running
I have a very low appetite, both pre and post thyroid issues

I love coffee with cream + 1t raw sugar or International Delights
I feel great when I eat 2 eggs 2 turkey bacon for breakfast
I feel similarly bad when I eat organic brown rice as when I eat a bagel
When I was GF for a few weeks my skin was flawless (I have always had discolorations on my torso, they went away)
I feel nauseous when I eat too much meat at once (I can't finish 1/2 chicken breast) or in a day
I experimented eating meaty fish but I only can tolerate it fried/battered so far
I like salad but haven't found a dressing I like enough to eat it daily
I feel like eating 2 eggs most days, which is horrible
I love spinach but due to thyroid and braces I avoid it
I also love & indulge green beans but that's just about the only veggie I enjoy!
I hate mayo, sour cream, and cottage cheese
I enjoy avocado and nuts such as almonds
I love fruit but too much at a time (more than 1 at a time) doesn't feel great

My goal is to get back into 'overweight' range and then obviously back into 'normal' range
I have given up hope on getting my old body back and will be happy to just be healthy weight

sorry for writing so much, but does anyone have any guidance as far as low carb/low fat/keto/etc? I have read that it doesn't matter blah blah but I really am not sure which will be best, since I have trouble eating carbs as well as protein. I try to limit dairy for my skin which is discouraging me from trying low carb (what's left to eat? I don't enjoy enough variety of veggies)

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Because you have a thyroid problem and other issues, you need to talk to your doctor about the eating plan for you, I.e.what types of food should eat.

No diet is good for anyone unless under a doctor's care for a specific reason. God eating with a calorie deficit is the best.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Why is that horrible? Eggs aren't bad for you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The eat less/ do more diet works for most people very well. Set a realistic budget using this program and stick to it. Eat what you want/like as long as you stay in budget. No need to make big production of what you do or don't like and what your social skills are. It's really very simple.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That one diet that you count calories on... I forgot what it's called....
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would consult with a nutritionist if I were you. I'd be concerned with what happens when you eat more than 1/2 a chicken breast also your reaction to whole grains. Might be worth it if you can figure out how to have a more balanced diet.
  • MissHoney26
    MissHoney26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Because you have a thyroid problem and other issues, you need to talk to your doctor about the eating plan for you, I.e.what types of food should eat.

No diet is God for anyone unless under a doctor's care for a specific reason. God eating with a calorie deficit is the best.

I have asked my doctor, she was very adamant that it doesn't matter what or how I eat (literally to every question I asked). She didn't even tell me about the cruciferous/soy etc. issue, I actually read that myself. When I told her I was working on my feet 40 hours + commuting 4-5 hours a day and only eating salads for brunch until I had a late dinner (I even told her I was uncomfortably hungry most of the time), she insisted that I try to eat even less. I plan to try a new doctor in the future.

eta: this was an endocrinologist, not even a regular doctor
  • MissHoney26
    Options
    The eat less/ do more diet works for most people very well. Set a realistic budget using this program and stick to it. Eat what you want/like as long as you stay in budget. No need to make big production of what you do or don't like and what your social skills are. It's really very simple.

this has not worked for me. at the time I put the weight on, I was exercising daily and I have always not eaten "enough", the type of person who can go a day without food because I don't feel like eating when I'm not hungry. Going from that to actively trying to minimize how much I eat + exercise, neither worked for me.
  • MissHoney26
    Options

Why is that horrible? Eggs aren't bad for you.

I worry about my cholesterol and sodium levels
  • MissHoney26
    Options

being snide certainly helps, thank you for your insight
  • MissHoney26
    Options
    I would consult with a nutritionist if I were you. I'd be concerned with what happens when you eat more than 1/2 a chicken breast also your reaction to whole grains. Might be worth it if you can figure out how to have a more balanced diet.

this is what I am trying to figure out. I haven't located a nutritionist yet, hopefully I will be able to when I am home from college. Going by how I feel, leaves me conflicted information.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A large, 50-gram hard-boiled egg contains 62 milligrams of sodium. This amount supplies 2.6 percent of a healthy adult man's or woman's recommended daily allowance of sodium, and 4.1 percent of the sodium allowed for an individual on a 1,500-milligram sodium-restricted diet. According to the National Labeling and Education Act, eggs can be considered a low-sodium food because they contain fewer than 140 milligrams of sodium in every serving.

Regarding cholesterol, your body makes cholesterol. Eating foods with cholesterol doesn't raise cholesterol levels in your body (unless you have diabetes or a specific rare genetic disorder)
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here that you need to check with a doctor/dietician for your particular issues. That being said, I think you've got plenty to work with. It seems like you do not like to eat much at any one sitting, so several small meals per day might suit you better. If you have had good results with gluten free, then there is no reason you need to make yourself eat gluten. Most dieticians say that 1-2 eggs per day are fine for most people. You should start with what you like. So for example, if you like green beans, try some steamed add some nuts that you like, some of your battered fish and a little bit of olive oil and lemon. You can throw in a 1/2 of a boiled egg chopped up....just measure/weigh in order to stay in your calorie goals for the day.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    if-it-fits-your-macros-IIFYM-620x350.jpg
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The one where you eat less than your TDEE on something that you can sustain forever if need be.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It wasn't snide. It was a tease because you're on MFP--a site designed to help everyone lose weight, because everyone can the same way: calories in vs. calories out. Relax.

With hypothyroidism, there is no distinct calorie difference than someone without it. Make sure your levels are fine, and you're good to go. Some endos say to be mindful of goitrogens (specific foods that can interact with already faulty thyroids), others say it's not as crucial. Some endos say be mindful of carbs (mine suggest 180g or less).

Otherwise, everything else is the same.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

It wasn't snide. It was sarcasm. Know the difference.

Now, this comment is snide.

You're on MFP which provides you perfect tools to lose weight without having to go on some ridiculous diet. I suggest you employ it and live happily ever after

Now this comment is helpful.
  • MissHoney26
    Options
    A large, 50-gram hard-boiled egg contains 62 milligrams of sodium. This amount supplies 2.6 percent of a healthy adult man's or woman's recommended daily allowance of sodium, and 4.1 percent of the sodium allowed for an individual on a 1,500-milligram sodium-restricted diet. According to the National Labeling and Education Act, eggs can be considered a low-sodium food because they contain fewer than 140 milligrams of sodium in every serving.

Regarding cholesterol, your body makes cholesterol. Eating foods with cholesterol doesn't raise cholesterol levels in your body (unless you have diabetes or a specific rare genetic disorder)

thanks for that information! I was told that heart disease = avoid eating too many eggs
  • MissHoney26
    Options

It wasn't snide. It was sarcasm. Know the difference.

Now, this comment is snide.

You're on MFP which provides you perfect tools to lose weight without having to go on some ridiculous diet. I suggest you employ it and live happily ever after

Now this comment is helpful.

Telling me to try what I have obviously tried for the past 2 years is not sarcastic its useless. do not bother to type on your keys if you have nothing to contribute besides rude snide remarks. nobody asked for sarcasm or whatever you felt you had to say I asked for advice.
  • MissHoney26
    Options
    I agree with others here that you need to check with a doctor/dietician for your particular issues. That being said, I think you've got plenty to work with. It seems like you do not like to eat much at any one sitting, so several small meals per day might suit you better. If you have had good results with gluten free, then there is no reason you need to make yourself eat gluten. Most dieticians say that 1-2 eggs per day are fine for most people. You should start with what you like. So for example, if you like green beans, try some steamed add some nuts that you like, some of your battered fish and a little bit of olive oil and lemon. You can throw in a 1/2 of a boiled egg chopped up....just measure/weigh in order to stay in your calorie goals for the day.

thanks very much for your help. youre right I don't sit to eat, I grab and go when I remember to or make the effort. I usually just have most of an appetizer or barely touch my plate when I go to restaurants and still leave feeling stuffed!
  • MissHoney26
    Options

It wasn't snide. It was a tease because you're on MFP--a site designed to help everyone lose weight, because everyone can the same way: calories in vs. calories out. Relax.

With hypothyroidism, there is no distinct calorie difference than someone without it. Make sure your levels are fine, and you're good to go. Some endos say to be mindful of goitrogens (specific foods that can interact with already faulty thyroids), others say it's not as crucial. Some endos say be mindful of carbs (mine suggest 180g or less).

Otherwise, everything else is the same.

I'm sorry I don't find it such a "tease" from somebody I don't know when asking about something that I don't find very funny. I know everything that you have just told me I have tried very consistently to lose weight at one point that I was uncomfortably hungry even after eating, which definitely means I was eating less calories than I was using. Then the endocrinologist told me that my levels were fine so I just needed to try eating even less. It should work for everyone, obviously it is not working for me, I am frustrated, I figured I would try asking for insight -- all I get is people who obviously didn't read what I wrote trying to "tease" me. Tell me how I am suppose to enjoy my end of the joke?