help with only cardio or should it be more?????

Options
heading to the gym later i cant wait! i havent been since april ....any suggestions in heading back to the gym....im trying to lose body fat n weight by working on cardio only for the moment n want to work on toneing later....should i be doing weight lifting and cardio at the same time????????????? if anyone can help me plz id apperciate it! ( like doing cardio for an hr than doing weight lifting for an hr)

also can i do cardio first than strength training???

Replies

• CMAB
    CMAB Posts: 21
    Options
    From what I understand, it would be better if you did cardio and weight-lifting at the same time. That way you'll be building muscle while losing fat simultaneously, and since muscle raises your metabolism you'd be burning more calories even while at rest. I'm no expert, but I'd recommend the weight-training. I hope this helps! :)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try to work in a little strength training. Cardio is great for calorie burn immediately; however, strength training will burn calories after you are done repairing and building muscles. Not to mention, muscles burn more calories than fat.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions on this one.

My free meeting with the trainer when I joined the gym gave me a routine. She has me doing a stretch/warm up then lifting (about 4 machines and then abs) and then cardio for about 20 minutes. I can do cardio on the days that I do not strength train. I do her routine about 3 days a week and just cardio 2 days.

I had never heard of strength training first and cardio second for weight loss. I asked a church member who used to be a personal trainer and she said she recommends that as well. Another person said she is doing the same. I looked it up on the internet (granted you can't take it as gospel) and a lot of what I read made sense. You are starting your cardio warmed up so you burn the whole time as opposed to warming up.

I can post my routine if you would like.
  • cviertha
    cviertha Posts: 32
    Options
    I am doing cardio 6 times a week, weights 3 times a week on alternate days. On the days I don't do weights I do 60 minutes ellipitcal for higher calorie burn. On weight days I do 45 minutes of ellipitical before weights and it all seems to be working very well. I had a session with a personal trainer and guidance from my doctor to come up with this plan for maximum benefit. The day off is very important to let all your muscles rest. I weigh more than you do so take that into consideration. Also the interval program on the elliptical burns more calories than even the fat burner, but you probably already knew that. Keep us posted, I want to know what works for you! :happy:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I recommend a little weight training plus cardio. If you only have an hour, try a 5-minute warmup, 15 minutes of strength training (if you workout often, just target one muscle group each day), then 40 minutes of cardio. I always do the workout before cardio because I need the most energy for weights, not to mention that I'm sweating like a pig after cardio! :)

The fact that you are getting back into the gym is good in itself, no matter what you choose to do there!