Exercise for saggy jaw/chin please

Options
I'm nearly at goal weight but I still have a double chin at 5"7 and 130lbs. Will it help to do weights? Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    skin and fat cannot be exercised.

workouts work muscles.... not skin and fat.

if it's truly just excess fat- it'll go away as the body fat goes down... if it's skin- nothing short of surgery will truly fix it 100%
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is! That's kind of what I was asking. Aren't there muscles around this area to help support it?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you have a double chin at that height and weight, it's probably just loose skin and sagging due to weight loss and/or genetics. I've looked into remedies for this because turkey necks run in my family, and the only truly reliable fix is surgery. Some people respond well to Thermage, but who wants to spend $4,000 just to find out you're not one of them?

That being said, there are a ton of exercises and potions on the innerweb if you google it - maybe give those a shot.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if that's you in the profile picture- I'm not seeing this double chin you speak of to be honest.. If I sit certain ways- I look quiet obese and I'm far from it. I actually SHOCKED my other forum on one of our meet ups- my profile picture is black and white- and at a very odd angle and makes me appear (so I'm told- I don't realize it because I know EXACTLY what I'm looking at LOL).. anyway- one of them finally sacked up and went- you know I thought you were like 300 lbs based on your avatar- so sometimes things appear to be something they aren't. I can TOTALLY have 2 chins at a certain angle/head tilt. it might not be nearly the crisis you imgain. I'm not sure- hard to tell just from an avatar though.

Most double chins are skin and fat. There isn't muscle that typically sags like that anything I've seen/read- but that's definitely NOT my area of expertise.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    my understanding is that with proper amount of fat in the diet, the collagen regains its elasticity and rebuilds itself and the skin tightens but a lot of folks going low cal end up going low fat (instead of low carb) and the tissue never has enough fat to rebuild and replace the collagen properly. hence the sagging skin.
  • TwitchierInk
    Options
    There are different exercises that can help you lose the double chin

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/4-double-chin-exercises.html#b

here us a few of them. I've been doing them for about 2 weeks and I definitely see the difference.

Hope this helps!!
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's definitely genetic in my case! Through 3 generations at least. I better start saving now!
    I'm always over my fat percentage so if that theory is true there's hope for me.
    My picture isn't a true reflection of me. My face is pushed forward but whenever anyone takes a picture of me in natural movement it's always there.
    Surely, though, doesn't the neck muscles support the chin and some people seem to have high definition in the neck. What exercises create a well toned neck?!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    she could have a double chin. i work with someone that is skinny. size 2 or 4 and has a double chin. its crazy.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks twitchierink. I'll take a look. If you've seen a difference then I'll stick them at the end of my workout.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I'd post a picture but I don't know how!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    #1 Tilt your head back and try to kiss the ceiling
    #2 Open your mouth wide and stick your tongue out as far as you can
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Ok. I've put a photo in my profile. For a limited time only! Do I have a double chin or am my mad and delusional? :)
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Feeling ya. If I get any work done.. ever. it will be the turkey neck. Drives me nuts. Every woman in my family has it.. urgh.
    and um.. yeah.. sorry. you do. *hugs*
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks for your honest opinion. I didn't want people thinking I wasn't legit. Our family also have the jowls, if that's the right word. The saggy bits round the mouth but none of us have ever been especially overweight so it doesn't seem right. That's life I guess :)
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    /frauhaas2013. Does this work for you or are you just teasing?
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i see it too. you do have one. :( but there are exercises people have already mentioned. when i was in high school a friends mother told me of one of them so yes i believe it works. ive been doing them randomly throughout the last 85 days. lol
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    I think I'll go delete that photo now and go do some chin exercises :p
    :)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    /frauhaas2013. Does this work for you or are you just teasing?

I'm not teasing; try it, you'll feel it!!!
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    You're right! It does feel like you're working a muscle. And isn't your tongue a muscle too?