I Need Perspective - or a Whack Upside the Head!

Options
After a really rough 2012 - serious health scare with 2 hospitalizations, I entered into 2013 with hope and optimism. I will be healthy. I will lose 20 pounds. I will regain flexibility, strength, and vitality. I will turn 50 next spring, and I don't want to feel like an old lady!
My 20 pound goal might as well be 200. That's what it feels like. I feel guilty *****ing about 20 pounds. Especially because I'm alive.
I have juiced and smoothied myself to death. I drink so much water my bladder is revolting. I have a belly now. My already large "girls" are now enormous (went up TWO cup sizes - TWO!). My cholesterol is high and thyroid function is slow.
My challenges: I travel 10-12 days per month for work. Eating healthy on the road is tough. I try. I broke an ankle in May, tore a rotator in June, and three weeks ago learned I have a stress fracture in my foot. Now I feel afraid to exercise!

Is it middle age? Hormones? A lesson? Something I'm holding on to?
I have a body I can't seem to dress for anymore...everything seems to have shifted and moved.
I'm trying a higher protein low sugar strategy. Some days are tougher than others, especially when on the road.

No pity party, just frustrated and tired of the obstacles I continue to be faced with.
I need some perspective!

Replies

• Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    How about planning some meals and snacks ahead of time that you could bring with you? You could bring a small lunchbox and put ice packs in it so you could bring some fruits, veggies, nuts or Greek yogurts. Then if you have to eat out while on the road, get a salad with a lot of protein on it instead of hitting a fast food joint or grabbing that convenience store pizza. You could also stock up on a variety of protein bars. Think Thin bars have 20g of protein so they keep you full a while. I also like Clif & Luna bars, for taste, protein content and they travel easy!

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and get back to basics. Log daily. Open your diary. Get some MFP friends and choose people of similar size/age/goals with at least a few who have already had good results. If possible, participate in some group exercise locally and/or get a trainer. Be open to new ideas and going outside of your comfort zone.

It can be a struggle to discern the difference between an excuse and a legitimate concern sometimes. Listen to your body but be sure you are being scrupulously honest with yourself. Many people who travel are very fit and find ways to exercise and eat healthy and you can too!

Some people have had it harder and others easier. You will have your unique challenges and victories. Own them.

For what it's worth, you look great- certainly not old.
  • meagsdionne
    meagsdionne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sent a request, I'm real good at whacking upside the head. :)
  • meagsdionne
    meagsdionne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    LOVE your pic disaterman!!