Feeling awkward at the gym..

Options
MuscleAndMascara
MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
Ok, so I have been going to the gym for about a month now. I am doing great, losing weight and feeling amazing. I'm getting great results and I feel pretty good about the cardio area, but when I try and brave the weights/machine area, I feel so awkward! I feel like I'm being stared at. So I get nervous and feel dumb trying to figure out the machines! I'm better with the ones I've "learned" and I'm getting more confident now, but how do I get over the weird feeling?

Replies

• funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Most gyms come with a free training session, use that to figure out how things work. You should stick more with free weights anyway though. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask someone.

And no one is staring at you. It is a new place, spend some time and you will get more comfortable.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You have every right to be there. The more you go into areas of the gym that are uncomfortable to you, the easier it will become. Just keep doing it.

You're doing well.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    I meant to post this in the Motivation/help Forum.. Oops
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    See if any of your friends go to the gym, ask to tag along with them and have them show you how to use freeweights/machines, or you can watch youtube videos
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've certainly been there. It's tough, even now. People look at me funny when I ask "Is this squat rack free?" The more time I spend there, the less I seem to notice people even taking a second glance. Good luck!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Most gyms come with a free training session, use that to figure out how things work. You should stick more with free weights anyway though. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask someone.

And no one is staring at you. It is a new place, spend some time and you will get more comfortable.

^^This
    Did you get an induction session OP? Most machines have a guide on the side of how to use them correctly (elf & safety), & yes just ask. That's what the staff are there for. I bet they'd be happy doing a demo - or just covertly watch others :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I felt like this on my first time, the second wasn't so bad, then I realised everyone's just working out. If they look it's just looking around, like we all do.

Keep going!
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    Thanks, I felt odd the first week. Then I got better. I guess it started up again when I noticed one of the lead guy trainers always catching me working out. He talked to me a few times and he was very helpful and very nice. Maybe I think he is just judging me because I haven't signed up with a personal trainer. lol I sound silly, but I want to kick my *kitten* into shape and psyching myself out is a little rediculous!!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's not like you are dancing the funky chicken in there! No one really cares or is watching what anyone else is doing unless they are waiting for whatever you are using. Ask an employee to walk you through some of the stuff, or just go in and pretend that you know what you are doing until you figure it out. Put the machine at the very lowest weight until you figure out the motion though and then find your working weight. Barbells are better. You could try a program like StrongLifts5x5 or Starting strength, watch the Youtube videos, read the book, and then go in knowing what you are going to do and how. Or get a personal trainer for a session.

Seriously though. No one cares.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options

Yes, I did the one day with the same guy and he did show me the things I do feel good about.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I felt odd the first week. Then I got better. I guess it started up again when I noticed one of the lead guy trainers always catching me working out. He talked to me a few times and he was very helpful and very nice. Maybe I think he is just judging me because I haven't signed up with a personal trainer. lol I sound silly, but I want to kick my *kitten* into shape and psyching myself out is a little rediculous!!

I already have my trainer and the other trainers are constantly saying hi how are you do you need any help, etc. I think they are just like that, positive and wanting to help. I did have one guy ask out of concern though because my face gets SO red any time I do any type of cardio lol I've always been like that...
    You should totally sign up for a trainer though if you don't feel confident in how to do certain exercises/what to do. It's helped me a lot, I do a lot of different things I wouldn't have ever thought to do.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    I know that no one else cares, I don't care about that. It's why do I feel the way I do haha

It's ME being my own worst enemy. lol
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I still deal with this same issue, but mine stems more from social anxiety than feeling I am not doing my workouts correctly. I actually take my free weights into the spin room in my gym and workout in there, or to the back of the gym where no can see me. I find that motivating music helps me shut out the people around me and really focusing on the task at hand as well. Try looking up workouts on youtube or getting tips here or even looking into following a program/hiring a personal trainer so you feel well versed in your workouts and less self conscious.