Yoyo dieting? Gained 20lbs back...help

Options
I have been yoyo dieting for a few months now. I used to do so good. I even lost ten pounds, but then things got bad. I have been trying to get back on track, but I just keep falling off. The whole reason things got bad is because I totally excluded sweets from my diet and then I started eating then again. This started a huge binge...I've gained 20 pounds. I really am trying to get on track this time. Does anyone have have any advice for me?

Replies

• BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Two things: First, find your reason. Why do you want to lose weight? If you don't have a reason, you're never going to stick with it.

Second, eat sweets if you want them. Just track it. Keep it within your calories. Depriving yourself is a good way to fall off the wagon.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: "what makes YOU think you'll stick to it this time?"
    When you can honestly answer that to yourself, that's when your MOTIVATION becomes DEDICATION.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been yoyo dieting for a few months now. I used to do so good. I even lost ten pounds, but then things got bad. I have been trying to get back on track, but I just keep falling off. The whole reason things got bad is because I totally excluded sweets from my diet and then I started eating then again. This started a huge binge...I've gained 20 pounds. I really am trying to get on track this time. Does anyone have have any advice for me?

This is what I read above:
    I have been sometimes eating at a caloric deficit and sometimes not for months. I used to eat at a deficit pretty consistently, so I lost 10 lbs, but then I started overeating again. I have been trying to eat at a deficit again, but I keep overeating. The whole reason I started overeating again is because I decided to deprive myself and that created an artificial scarcity that made me want to eat that even more. I'm really trying to start eating at a caloric deficit again. Does anyone have any advice?

My advice is: track your food and eat at a caloric deficit. Figure out how many calories you use every day to maintain your current weight, also called your total daily energy expenditure: http://fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Subtract about 20% from that. That's your caloric deficit goal.

Now go to HOME > Goals > Change Goals > Custom here on MFP and change your caloric goal to that number.

Eat that number of calories every day, and you'll lose weight.

Yes, it really is that simple. http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Yes, really.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Aimforheathy - if there was a LIKE button, i would click LIKE on what youve just said.