Do you log standing?

Options
I have my stuff set to sedentary. I'm a couch potato really. Except I work 2-5 days a week, mostly just standing there. If I'm going to be standing there for 4+ hours, should I calculate at least part of that in my exercise? I don't want to bump my profile up to "spending a good amount of time on my feet" because its only ~20 hours a week. I don't want to bump my calorie limit up every day if I'm only working a few days out of the week...

Replies

• baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't log standing. It's not really movement. Get yourself a fitbit and that will tell you how active you are.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    No way am I spending $100 to lose 15 lbs. I just want to know if my sore legs are worth 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i would. i log everything.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    No
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No, you might as well log breathing. If you want some cottage cheese make it fit your budget instead of your budget fit what you want to eat.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    no offense intended, but that question reminded me of a comment a friend made about her anorexic sister - how she wouldn't sit down for tv, because standing used more calories...
    i can't really answer your question, i call myself active, and ballpark cycling to the store and walking the dog in with that, unless i want another bite of chocolate, then i may just log it :wink:
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    No way am I spending $100 to lose 15 lbs. I just want to know if my sore legs are worth 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

You are doing it wrong.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that isn't intentional exercise
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    you should not be sedentary. most people with desk jobs aren't even truly sedentary. if you are on your feet for work, as it states in the MFP descriptions, you should be at the VERY least "lightly active." don't log standing as an exercise, just account for it in your daily calorie goal.

eta: I know you're only doing it part time, but you're still not sedentary. trust me.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would not. I only log something that is really an extra effort like a walk or actual exercise. I am a stay at home mom so my days vary with the activity. Some days are cleaning the house, others are chasing my kids around the playground for two hours, some days are more lazy with books, TV, and games. I just figure whatever I did was extra if it was more active and nothing that was probably going to burn that many extra calories anyway.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options

You are doing it wrong.

I agree. Fitbit zips are only $60. Also, you can't put a price on your health, if you really want to get fit and healthy invest a little money, time and effort. Standing won't get you there. Let me give you some perspective; today I did 25 squats with 20kg weights and only burned about 30 calories. So no, your standing will barely count for anything.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    no, but make sure you log cleaning and having sex.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Would this mean that raking leaves for 2 hours isn't exercise because it's not really "intentional," but necessary? Lol.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options

^^This
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Oh this is good advice.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Would this mean that raking leaves for 2 hours isn't exercise because it's not really "intentional," but necessary? Lol.

Where in my post did I say it isn't exercise? I personally do not log anything that isn't one of my workouts. Do I burn calories doing other things like cleaning or walking my dog? Of course, I just don't log it.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options

What if I don't do either?

(Yeah, that's a joke. I don't scrub but things get picked up and dishes get done. Probably doesn't burn any more calories than the 50 bathroom trips I take to drink my 8 cups of water.)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

sex? two minutes is barely enough time for me to work up a sweat for crying out loud.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options

This.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ^this