Brownie Batter Breakfast Milkshake

Options
sunnysmile
sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
I recently discovered Hershey's Special Edition Dark Cocoa powder (unsweetened). Who knew that adding it to my breakfast shake would make it taste like brownie batter (it is amazingly rich).

You can adapt this for whatever you'd like but most people wouldn't do my combo (even my husband says it's strange but he does admit it tastes like brownie batter):

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 or 2 raw carrots
2 raw egg whites (optional protein, please no eewwwwwwhhhhh, how can you eat that?)
1 cup frozen wild blueberries (or cut up apple)
2 tbs hershey's special edtion dark cocoa powder (unsweetened) ... this is the secret ingredient
1/2 cup cottage cheese (makes it like a cheesecake)
vanilla extract
splenda
ice cubes

I put all of this in my vitamix blender (you need a strong one if you are using raw carrots or apple, but otherwise I think you can use a regular blender), and blend until it is a thick milk shake consistency.

This recipe makes a huge container full, otherwise cut it in half. The whole container is about 270 calories the way I make it.

It just tastes amazing. And surprisingly, you do not taste the carrot, blueberry or anything but the rich chocolate once you add in the dark cocoa powder. Who knew. Chocolate to start my day, I'm in love.

Replies

• conlabor
    Options
    lovely!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!!
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    cant wait to try this.
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yummy. i will definitely try.
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    this is defintely a choc-a-holic recipe
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    Just a quick update. In the original recipe I said use blueberries or an apple? Turns out the blueberries seem to enhance the chocolate flavor, I did not find that so with the apple. I have even used this in the blender with the frozen blueberries to make a soft serve ice cream ... just put in very little liquid with it, frozen blueberries, splenda, etc. Yummy, makes me want to eat some now. hmmm.
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for the recipe!
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try this minus the eggs, + protein powder, and I havent decided what to do about the cottage cheese... The cheesecake part is very appealing, but I hate hate hate cottage cheese esp the consitency... We will see. Thanks for the info!
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    I'm gonna try this minus the eggs, + protein powder, and I havent decided what to do about the cottage cheese... The cheesecake part is very appealing, but I hate hate hate cottage cheese esp the consitency... We will see. Thanks for the info!

I use lactaid cottage cheese because I'm lactose intolerant. The consistency of cottage cheese goes away entirely when you blend it in the blender, you can't tell there is cottage cheese in there. If you don't think you have a great blender, put the cottage cheese in first and blend that smoother before adding anything else. If you enjoy cheesecake flavor it might be worth a try once.

Enjoy, I'm getting hungry thinking about this
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    Options
    [/quote]

I use lactaid cottage cheese because I'm lactose intolerant. The consistency of cottage cheese goes away entirely when you blend it in the blender, you can't tell there is cottage cheese in there. If you don't think you have a great blender, put the cottage cheese in first and blend that smoother before adding anything else. If you enjoy cheesecake flavor it might be worth a try once.

Enjoy, I'm getting hungry thinking about this
    [/quote]

You are so sweet :D... I will def try. Thank so much for the suggestions. I will look for some of the lactaid kind when I go to the grocery. I have an awesome blender-magic bullet... I have a misunderstood love for kitchen appliances lol...
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I will try this!! Sounds so good and healthy!..Also for the mid afternoon snack!:drinker:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    bump for later .chocolate yay!! Guitless ....even better!!:love:
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    With recent egg samanella issues resurfacing again, am rethinking raw egg white as part of this, although most people wouldn't have included that anyway. Stick to another form of added protein, or even just the cottage cheese adds good breakfast protein.

What forms of protein have you added? I am interested in alternative options to the raw egg concept.

Thanks!
    Sunny
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    Options
    Unfortunately I didnt like it. I was very excited... just not for me. Thanks though!
  • kimsy1222
    Options
    That recipe sounds amazing! I'll have to try it without the eggs, I hope it still turns out ok. Thank you!!
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    I like it, if others don't find it as appealing I understand, everyone has different tastes. I also like to use 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 tbs dark cocoa powder, splenda, some vanilla and puree as a thick sorbet-like dessert treat too. You need a blender strong enough to do it. The less liquid you add the thicker it is, but sometimes too thick to blend, so add more fluid as needed.

Yes, with samonella, skip the raw eggs, for sure!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    bump! I know this is from months ago but I love to blend everything! sounds great!

pasteurized egg white substitutes are perfectly safe to eat raw, so eat your heart out! great in shakes for added protein. If it's not your thing, try soft silken tofu :smile: with the cottage cheese it would make for a great consistency!