I'm confused :(

Options
Okay I know I've lost about 50lbs. I try to eat better and I definitely exercise but I'm not sure exactly what I did (besides the obvious) that caused me to lose the weight. The reason I'm confused is because I still eat basically the same and I workout much harder but the weight hasn't budged.

I've added the insanity workout and I know it's only been a week so I'm not gonna pretend I should see results already but even before that nothing I did made the scale move.

I try to eat around 1200 calories a day but I usually go over and work it off in the gym.

Is my problem that I'm eating too much before I work out?

Bc I'm feeling like no matter how much I burn at the gym if I eat over 1200 calories then the fat never moves...

I'm also concerned that maybe I'm not eating enough... Idk..

I have no idea what I was doing different when the weight was coming off... I wish I did

Any ideas would be helpful...

Thanks

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    As you get lighter, the same exercise activity will burn fewer calories. If you've lost 25% of your body weight, for example, the number of calories burned drops substantially.

It's difficult to know without seeing details, based on your OP my guess is you are no longer burning off all the "excess" calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The reason I'm confused is because I still eat basically the same and I workout much harder but the weight hasn't budged.
    So you're eating the same calories as before (when you lost the 50lbs), added more exercise but haven't changed what you eat? Demanding more of your body without adding the fuel to match could be an issue. And your calorie needs overall have likely changed since losing the initial weight.

Best success I've had with fat loss has been with a small deficit. I set my goals for calories and macros with the info and tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 It's a long read, but worth it. Don't be afraid of eating the right amount of cals for your height, current weight, activity level and goals. It is likely more than 1200 cals. Making changes in calorie intake can cause a slight gain at first, but if you give it time, let the body adjust to the new intake (which can take 4-6 weeks), you start seeing results, and make adjustments if needed.

Takes some patience, but it's totally worth it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What Amy said....
    And here is the shorter version, with a link to the longer one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

As a side note, going by your pics, I'm thinking you may not have 33lbs to lose.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of reasons why your body may or may not be reacting the way it is.

I recently brought in a trainer, because I felt like I was plateauing on several levels, and the first thing he did was take my diet from 2,000 calories to 2,500-2,750, and he was more concerned with me up-ing my protein. The first week or two I held, then the last few I have been averaging 2.5 lbs a week, previously a pound was a good week. According to my trainer, I was starving myself. (If it helps, I am an accountant behind a desk all day too.)
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary. I guess I should be been more specific. I started out eating about 1500 calories a day. But how much I ate before working out I guess always fluctuated.

So should I not work out as much I guess?

My pics are kind of deceiving I guess Bc I'm still pretty chubby.

I am 6ft tall and I used to weigh 250
    I now weigh between 200 and 205 Bc those 5lbs just keep messing with me lol

Idk maybe I'm just being dumb. I'm just stressing Bc I have 20-30lbs to go and it seems like it's not going to happen
  • samiyan05
    Options
    I am finding it way harder than it should be to eat more protein and less sodium :( should I just eat meat I guess? I bought some chicken n turkey patties from trader Joes Bc I thought they were good n low Cal n high protein but they have a ton of sodium :(

I feel like there is no winning here lol
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pictures. I'm not sure why you think you're chubby. Do you lift weights at all? 50 lbs is a pretty significant loss. Maybe it's time to mix things up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am finding it way harder than it should be to eat more protein and less sodium :( should I just eat meat I guess? I bought some chicken n turkey patties from trader Joes Bc I thought they were good n low Cal n high protein but they have a ton of sodium :(

Just about anything that's pre-made, pre-packed, pre-formed, is going to have a lot of sodium in it. Better off getting your own fresh or frozen cuts of meat and cooking it yourself. When I cook or grill meats I always like to make extra to have leftovers for l lunches - great way to get more protein at lunchtime.

Chicken breast, pork tenderloin, fish, lean cuts of beef - great variety and lots of ways to cook them, all great ways to get protein. You can get some protein from beans and other legumes as well. Canned beans are easiest of course, but you can run into sodium issues with those too, so look for low sodium varieties, which are pretty easy to find. One of my fave lunches is leftover grilled meat with black beans, plain greek yogurt (great sub for sour cream!), avocado, salsa, some lettuce and tomato - make your own burrito bowl.
  • samiyan05
    Options
    I don't lift weights but I was thinking about trying it. I've tried in the past but it's hard for me to start and continue a routine of it.
    I suck at routines altogether actually lol I wish I had a workout buddy or sonething. Someone to push me and teach me.
  • samiyan05
    Options

Just about anything that's pre-made, pre-packed, pre-formed, is going to have a lot of sodium in it. Better off getting your own fresh or frozen cuts of meat and cooking it yourself. When I cook or grill meats I always like to make extra to have leftovers for l lunches - great way to get more protein at lunchtime.

Chicken breast, pork tenderloin, fish, lean cuts of beef - great variety and lots of ways to cook them, all great ways to get protein. You can get some protein from beans and other legumes as well. Canned beans are easiest of course, but you can run into sodium issues with those too, so look for low sodium varieties, which are pretty easy to find. One of my fave lunches is leftover grilled meat with black beans, plain greek yogurt (great sub for sour cream!), avocado, salsa, some lettuce and tomato - make your own burrito bowl.

That sounds yummy! I'll try it!

I think I may have found the difference!

Before when I was losing weight I was making a lot more home made meals! I still ate out sometimes but I would eat fresh chicken n pork n not packaged stuff!

I guess I need to throw out the packaged stuff!
    I'll try that. Hopefully it helps Bc I'm losing my mind lol