Cold Weather Running Tips

Options
Hello all! I've noticed people on the boards are nervous about the coming winter's chilling running experience. I say don't be. I live in Alaska and have been known to run in temperatures down to -30F (I usually set the limit to -20F now). Here are some tips/gear I wear when running at -20F. Enjoy! Also, if you have any other ideas let me know. I'm super interested in running and cycling at risky temperatures and am still learning a bit myself.

It's important to dress in layers when running at cold temperatures, and it's also good practice to wear more than you think you need. Who knows, you may have an experience like my dad when he was my age. He ran 5 miles from his house in Minnesota and then the temperature dropped 25 degrees from when he left. He had to take refuge in a shop, but the owner was trying to kick him out. He ended up getting a ticket for trespassing and a ride home from a cop. No real harm done, but he did have to pay a fine.

Here is a list of gear I use when running at these cold temperatures:

Base Layer -

*Cold weather cycling shorts or triathlon shorts - These skin tight shorts have thermal value and keep your privates warm (for the most part).

*A single sock - This may seem a little funky, but I have to admit I swear by it; this applies more to guys. Stick the sock in your shorts like you're stuffing your pants to look more manly. This keeps your body heat in the area with a little more insulation; the last thing you want to have happen is cutting your run short because you denied your little fella... I'm not sure if ladies get cold down under.

*Tight running pants - I always go for 90% polypropylene pants that fit skin tight.

*Running socks - Make sure these are warm. Wool has thermal value when it gets wet and cotton does not!

*Tight Top - I like a polyester top I got from REI many years ago. It's skin tight and doesn't let nipples rub raw. If your nipples do start rubbing, it's not a bad idea to throw some band aids on them or apply Vaseline before a run.

Mid-layer:

Arm warmers - These should be able to fit over your tight top (or under). I prefer having them on top because if I get too warm during a run I don't have to stop to take them off. They slip off easily.

*Knee warmers - Thermal Knee warmers that are large enough to fit over your base layer.

*Loose fitting shirt - I try to go with a more loose fitting shirt that can fit under a running coat and over my base layer. I always go with polypropylene.

Top Layer: for the extreme temperatures

*Running coat - This should be able to fit over all your layers. It will keep the warm air in down to -30F ( if you run hot like me - You might have to experiment a little bit).

*Warm pants - These should be loose fitting over your base layer.

Always have:

*A winter hat

*Mittens or gloves - Mittens can often times fit your gps and ipod in them so they don't freeze.

*Spare Bandana - If it feels like you're freezing your lungs, throw on a bandana like a bandit and keep cold air circulating with fresh air near your mouth. If needed, cut a hole in it around your mouth so you have have even more fresh air.

****Face mask - Replace the bandana for one of these at extreme temperatures. I've had experiences where the bandana iced over and failed to bring in fresh air.

So, that's my list. I think I mentioned everything I use to run at -30F. I know most of you will not be running at these temperatures, but I think my list is a good base that will keep you warm, and, of course, everyone is different. This list is meant to be played with and evolved. Hope you guys like it. Feel free to add more and comment.

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Wow, props for going out running in such cold conditions!

here in Ireland it doesnt get THAT cold, but my life-savers are:

bandana
    Headband
    Light gloves
    Long-sleeved top with hooks to go over thumbs
    Light waterproof hi-viz jacket.
  • mybiketrip
    Options

bandana
    Headband
    Light gloves

Oh Thanks! here in Alaska it is a dry cold so the air doesn't penetrate the clothing as much. Adding waterproof gear is an excellent addition to the list!
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    *bumpers*
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    This is so useful dude. I live in Calgary and our winter is pretty similar to Alaska. Super cold and dry. I'm thinking of running the winterstart race in Banff but wasn't sure because of the low temperatures. I used to be ok with winter but now that I have lost a significant amount of weight (natural insulation lol) I'm more cold than ever. Anyways I think I'm gonna try that race.
    Cheers
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    GREAT THREAD!!!

The bandana is a God send. I ran in Wisconsin last winter and the bandana saved me.

thanks for posting this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

bandana
    Headband
    Light gloves
    monkey paws (the thumb thing)
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    This is so useful dude. I live in Calgary and our winter is pretty similar to Alaska. Super cold and dry. I'm thinking of running the winterstart race in Banff but wasn't sure because of the low temperatures. I used to be ok with winter but now that I have lost a significant amount of weight (natural insulation lol) I'm more cold than ever. Anyways I think I'm gonna try that race.
    Cheers

Oh nice! The area around Banff is awesome. I did a cycling trip through there back in 2011. Awesome mountains and animals! .... just the animals seemed a little humanized from what I'm used to.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    All awesome suggestions, as for me I NEED my running beanie with a ponytail hole in the back. It keeps my head and ears warm and keeps my hair out of my way, I wear a ball cap if the temperature is over 40. Also gloves, but those end up coming off as long as its over 20 by the end of my run!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'll see your guide and raise you a better one.

1. Find a treadmill, preferably one with a tv and window.

2. Run on said treadmill.

3. During commericials look out the window and catch people running outside

4. Laugh at how warm you are

5. Repeat as neccessary
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting as I'm sure some people will need it. I'm in TX and can't imagine running in negative temps...

I do want to say though - as a runner/cyclist/triathlete - I'm baffled by the running in cycling shorts suggestion. Please no one try that for the first time on a long run. Go on a very short run and see if there is chafing. Those aren't made for running, and that's a lot of material to have in a sensitive area :-) Same with the sock. I don't run with anything loose.

You guys are all more hard-core runners than me! Cheers.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My cold weather running tips: just don't.

It works every time! :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I ran all last winter in Montreal. Not as cold as Alaska, but cold enough. I moved inside once the weather got below -20C (approx -4F). I might go colder this year though, as I have a little more experience than I did last year.

I second the idea for something that covers your face to make it easier to breathe when it's really cold.

Layers are awesome! For my outer-most layer, I make sure I have something that is wind-breaking material, as the wind chill is a big factor where I run.
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I guess it's better to note they should be geared towards triathlon shorts. The ones I have don't have a bulky chamois, and I've had no problems with runs up to 15 miles... I haven't ran farther in such low temperatures. As for the sock, the tight base layer keeps it snug, and again, no problems.. But of course everyone is different and has different "sensitivities". Thanks for the comment! Happy Running!
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I'll see your guide and raise you a better one.

1. Find a treadmill, preferably one with a tv and window.

2. Run on said treadmill.

3. During commericials look out the window and catch people running outside

4. Laugh at how warm you are

5. Repeat as neccessary

Haha. I wouldn't say it's a better list. I do like treadmills, but I can't stay on them for extended periods of time...
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I guess it's better to note they should be geared towards triathlon shorts. The ones I have don't have a bulky chamois, and I've had no problems with runs up to 15 miles... I haven't ran farther in such low temperatures. As for the sock, the tight base layer keeps it snug, and again, no problems.. But of course everyone is different and has different "sensitivities". Thanks for the comment! Happy Running!

Also need to add the sock doen't go in the tight shorts, but between the tight running pants and shorts... Oh my. I think it'd be terrible to have it in your shorts.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ahh, ok! I really was imagining the sock as sort of a... coverup for a certain part? I wasn't sure how that would work!

Tri shorts are fine for running - I did a marathon in them after biking 112 miles :) If I'm just cycling though I wear really huge padded chamois shorts. Perfect for never having saddle issues (at least for me), but I can't imagine running with what feels like a diaper between my legs.

Happy running to you too!
  • ninrj
    ninrj Posts: 2
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running and I am a little unsure if I might need to find some other sort of indoors exercise during the winter. I am not so much concerned with the cold temperature since it rarely gets below -10 degree celcius here. However, I am a little worried about injuries due to snow and icy streets. What are your thoughts on this?
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running and I am a little unsure if I might need to find some other sort of indoors exercise during the winter. I am not so much concerned with the cold temperature since it rarely gets below -10 degree celcius here. However, I am a little worried about injuries due to snow and icy streets. What are your thoughts on this?

Good question. I know when I was new to running my knees would hurt a little more when running on icy/snowy streets due to the tiny slipping that occurs naturally. I don't really have any suggestions about how to run on it besides take it slow until you're comfortable with it and then pick up the pace. Use your best judgment and walk past any questionable areas / obstacles.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

If there's a lot of icy, you can use something like "yaktrax" to give you traction. They just go on over your running shoes:

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/accessories/yaktrax-run.html