8 Glasses of Water a Day...Can Iced Tea Count?

Options
I am just wondering...I'm a former country girl in the city so I've been spoiled on fresh spring water from the mountains. City water, bottled water and filtered water all gag me but I can make myself drink them....it's just not enjoyable. Iced tea, on the other hand, is something I can drink like a horse.

Here's how I make it:

1 gallon recipe:
6-8 tea bags/loose tea equivalent.
1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar for the whole gallon.
Fill the rest of the gallon with water.

So, I have a barely sweet, light iced tea drink that is a huge portion water.

Can this easily count towards my 8 cups/glasses a day? To me, it makes perfect sense, but there's so much stress put on the WATER part of it that I kind of scratch my head a bit.

Replies

• babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Water has no calories. You might have to work out and count those calories otherwise your food plan (calories in)will not be accurate.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    As long as you're logging the calories from the sugar I don't see why not. People say things about caffeine counteracting the water or something. Why not count it?

Also, I know what you mean, I am a water snob. Unfortunately we have a crappy well currently it is not as terrible as it could be it's just not spring feed loveliness that I'm used to in water. *sigh*
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Does Iced tea have water in it? Yes? Then it totally counts to your water intake. The point of making sure you get enough water is to make sure you're hydrated well. As others have pointed out, just make sure to account for any calories you have from sweetening it.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    I was kind of figuring that much about the tea...but it always helps to check, never hurts!! I do agree with counting the calories from the tea and the sugar content (even if it's a low amount, I know every little thing can add up from the oil you cook with to the sugar in your drink).

Ok, so if tea is perfectly acceptable as a water substitute, then this can be much more tolerable!!
  • atlantisak
    Options
    And how do you guys get that Fitness Pal thing below your posts? I've looked at the instructions (I gave it the info it wanted) but where does the code go?
  • ShatokaMTN
    ShatokaMTN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And how do you guys get that Fitness Pal thing below your posts? I've looked at the instructions (I gave it the info it wanted) but where does the code go?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/settings

It should be the only option on this link. Just check the box and save your settings and it should all be good.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Sweet, thank you so much!!!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

link from yesterday I read

but yes it all counts. Lots of us struggle to drink enough at the start, but I have extra water bottles chilling in the fridge and get one out and replace when drunk. For me , it's reminding myself to drink more... rather than aiming for a set amount
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like, count any added calories, and if your urine is dark drink some more.
    No need to struggle. Just stay hydrated.