I just lost 12lb in 5 days ... Worrying?

Options
But I feel fine - have been doing plenty of exercise (cycling) and not been hungry.

I hadn't weighed myself for some time until Sunday and got a shock when I did because I was about 15lb heavier than I expected. So I came back to this site after a long absence and targeted 1300 calories net. I should add that over the last 6 months I have got a lot fitter, cycling 80-100 miles each week at pace (16-18mph)

So is this quick and large loss worrying? I feel it is probably a combination of water weight and cleaning up my diet (removing bad fats)

My diary is open if anyone would like to review, but as I said I only started using MFP last Sunday again after a long absense. It is absolutely honest though - nothing missed out! Oh and I bought some Withing wifi scales which are fantastic and very easy to sync with MFP.. I am not recording my water intake in MFP but am drinking around 10 glasses a day, and I eat my exercise calories back if I feel I need to

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    1300 calories is really not a lot for a guy. especially with the amount of cycling you do. it is alot of weight to lose in a short time, so dont be disappointed if it goes up a bit next week.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Did you buy the new scales between the first weigh and the second? (i.e., was the 12 -pound weight loss measure on the same scales?) Did you move the scales, so you weren't weighing yourself in the same location?
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i lost 7 in 5 days once, i think sometimes it comes off quick, then slows down. lots of factors can play into it tho.
  • ianblackburn
    ianblackburn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply Nikki!

Yes I expect there will be some variation (especially as I am going to a family event today) but hopefully can keep it moving in the right direction.

Don't forget I am eating calories back though - so I ate 3700 calls after a 80 mile ride where I burnt around 4000 cals (though I think any calorie estimates for exercise is probably only a rough estimate at best)
  • ianblackburn
    Options
    Did you buy the new scales between the first weigh and the second? (i.e., was the 12 -pound weight loss measure on the same scales?) Did you move the scales, so you weren't weighing yourself in the same location?

First shock measurement was on old scales but that was confirmed when I got the new ones which have since been used exclusively and in the same place. Though I have measured at different times of the day..
  • ianblackburn
    Options
    i lost 7 in 5 days once, i think sometimes it comes off quick, then slows down. lots of factors can play into it tho.

Yes I agree - I expect a big slow down soon... (Otherwise that would definitely be worrying!)
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Majority will be water weight, maybe 2lb being fat at that extreme of a deficit. Don't go under your bmr!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Weight comes down in waves (supposedly because fat cells depleted of fat get temporarily filled with water). This will give the impression of plateaus followed by huge drops. Exercise also favors water retention. It could be that you simply dropped the water weight you were carrying for quite a while now, nothing worrying.