can someone review my workout routine please?

Options
hey all,
I'd appreciate it if anyone could give some comments or pointers on what I'm doing, what I could improve.
It's not a fancy routine or anything, just various things I've started doing at the gym.

(sorry in advance I don't know all the names of the machines)

20-40 mins cardio (elliptical, bike and/or stepper)
followed by a couple machines
-seated row machine - 3 sets of 10-12. just went up from 50 pounds to 60
-lateral pull down - 3 sets of 10-12. up to 80
-NO idea what this one is called, but you sit and push the weight in front of you with your arms. almost like a seated bench press?

and then I do some squats (some body weight squats, and some holding weight
-lunges
-various planks
-push ups (if I'm feeling ambitious.. :P)
-and some other body weight exercises
and then I stretch.

I figure the machines work out my chest, back and shoulders (and arms too I suppose), while squats I prefer do without the machine because it restricts movement.

Is there any big muscle group I'm totally forgetting to workout with this routine or does it seem okay?

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    bump. anyone?
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are missing out deadlifts and any over head movements.

I'd scrap what you are doing and follow a tried and tested programme. Go with Starting Strength.

Koing
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I aggree with Koing. Go with a proven routine (although I personally don't like Starting Strength).
    If you workout 3 days a week, follow a A/B fullbody routine with emphasis on the compound movements (squats, deadlift, bench press, bent over rows and military presses).
    If you workout 4 times a week, go for a UB/LB routine also with emphasis on the compound exercises.

Your focus should again be on the compounds and will take the most effort in your workouts. Use isolation exercises to finish off the workout and focus on minor muscles.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Everything that has been been said so far. I have spent much time spinning wheels in gyms, and see most people doing just that. Without clarity, much time will be wasted. Only very recently, in my long life, have I uncovered a better way.

First, tell us your stats -- age, gender, height, weight, waist size and, if you know, your BFP.
    Second, tell us your goal - to get stronger, or lose fat, or run faster or . . . . one or more of many things.

There are tried and tested programs, involving nutrition and exercises that, with persistence and diligence, can (almost) guaranteed to produce results.
  • dandandee
    Options
    Exactly! Everything that has been been said so far. I have spent much time spinning wheels in gyms, and see most people doing just that. Without clarity, much time will be wasted. Only very recently, in my long life, have I uncovered a better way.

First, tell us your stats -- age, gender, height, weight, waist size and, if you know, your BFP.
    Second, tell us your goal - to get stronger, or lose fat, or run faster or . . . . one or more of many things.

There are tried and tested programs, involving nutrition and exercises that, with persistence and diligence, can (almost) guaranteed to produce results.

I'm an 18 year old girl. starting weight was 160 but I'm down to 140. 5'5. my goal is just to look more fit - I'm at that famous "skinny fat" stage right now. And of course, the way to look more fit is to build muscle and lose the fat covering the muscle.

I workout 2-3 times a week.
    Other than starting strength, what's another good programme you'd recommend? Or if not a programme, a routine that I should try?

Thanks for the answers guys!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would go with New Rules of Lifting.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm an 18 year old girl. starting weight was 160 but I'm down to 140. 5'5. my goal is just to look more fit - I'm at that famous "skinny fat" stage right now. And of course, the way to look more fit is to build muscle and lose the fat covering the muscle.

Other than starting strength, what's another good programme you'd recommend? Or if not a programme, a routine that I should try?

A great alternative to Starting Strength is Stronglifts 5x5, which is what I follow. But, the book "Starting Strength" is worth it's weight in gold. For either of these, working out three days a week is what is needed. Currently, I workout out on an average of 2.5 times a week. I have heard good things about "New Lifting Rules for Women," but I have not personally read it yet. So, I cannot endorse it just yet.

Whatever you do, you need to follow a program that emphasizes lifting heavy, with a number of compound lifts. That, along with proper nutrition and recovery, can make you very, very fit and help you look great.

In the end it is about dedication and diet. Nothing beats diligence in these regards. With patience, you can become the envy of many.
  • dandandee
    Options

A great alternative to Starting Strength is Stronglifts 5x5, which is what I follow. But, the book "Starting Strength" is worth it's weight in gold. For either of these, working out three days a week is what is needed. Currently, I workout out on an average of 2.5 times a week. I have heard good things about "New Lifting Rules for Women," but I have not personally read it yet. So, I cannot endorse it just yet.

Whatever you do, you need to follow a program that emphasizes lifting heavy, with a number of compound lifts. That, along with proper nutrition and recovery, can make you very, very fit and help you look great.

In the end it is about dedication and diet. Nothing beats diligence in these regards. With patience, you can become the envy of many.

thanks for the answers everyone. I appreciate it! :) I'll definitely go check out those programs and pick up a book or 2