Lifting Weights: squat

Options
Should your upper legs be parallel to the ground when doing a squat? Cos mine aren't!

They are when I do a squat without any weights but not when I squat with weights.

I started with 11kg and am now squatting 15.5kg, but is there any point in increasing weight if I'm not doing it right?

Replies

• Reevesy07
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMiUGntxiD4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUaHx0T1LWrVKWF1XfWWLSuw

That exercise forces you into correct form. I am now doing them everyday (just light) just to keep my form and mobility in check. Then I get my heavy squats in on leg days!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to go parallel for your squats to be *right*. I go as low as I can, and that happens to be just above parallel. Both my trainers, and several other people have watched me, and haven't said anything bad about how low I go.

I've been squatting for about a year now, and I am up to a little over 65kg now.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of squatting if you're not going to parallel or lower?

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of quarter squats?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

never said I was doing "quarter squats". I go as close to parallel as I can. That happens to be a tiny bit above.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

never said I was doing "quarter squats". I go as close to parallel as I can. That happens to be a tiny bit above.

Wasn't even referring to you. Genuinely would like to know how that ROM or lack thereof, is beneficial in any way.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I find that i can go parallel or a little below para doing front bar squats but i find i really need to have kinda of a wide stance to be able to do so....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say go lighter until you can do the parallel or full squat. Trainers told me the same thing - half squat is okay, quarter squat is okay - they get paid either way.

You are not using all the muscles that are available to you or using your full range of motion if you don't go below parallel. It can also be bad for your knees as all the strain is being put on them rather than your hips by not going all the way down, you will also be causing a muscle imbalance, as you are not hitting the hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors etc as hard as you could.

As far as I know, doing partial squats is only beneficial if you are trying to train only your quads ( for aesthetics, e.g. Bodybuilder).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I go as low as I can on any given day - some days that is well below parallel, some days its just to parallel. I stop when I feel the beginning of bone on bone in my knee, as tested in warm-up sets. After all, I train to keep the muscles strong and joints happy, not hasten a knee replacement.
  • Sophiespad
    Options
    Don't use weighs until you can do a proper squat. Use the internet to look up what a squat looks like through Utube, then try to find a large mirror where you can look at your form.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are very few times you should do less than full range of motion in the squat. When you don't go full range, you shorten some muscles that you don't want shortened as it will cause imbalances and potentially more issues down the line. I agree with the others on here that said to lower the weight to a point you can do full range of motion. You're probably trying to progress through the weights too fast. You can make the lower weight just as effective by slowing down the rep (especially in the lower position). I'll often do a 2:2:1 or even 4:2:1 (down:hold:up). You can also do additional mobility work in the hips, glutes, quads and hamstrings to make full range of motion even easier.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to go parallel for your squats to be *right*. I go as low as I can, and that happens to be just above parallel. Both my trainers, and several other people have watched me, and haven't said anything bad about how low I go.

I've been squatting for about a year now, and I am up to a little over 65kg now.

Not all 'trainers" were created equal. I'd have a real problem with my trainer not bothering to correct me if I'd been squatting for a year and still wasn't getting to AT LEAST parallel. If you can't go lower than that, it's because you have mobility issues, and you need to correct those, rather than just continuing to add weight to poor movement patterns.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else have to use a wide stance while squatting?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Not all 'trainers" were created equal. I'd have a real problem with my trainer not bothering to correct me if I'd been squatting for a year and still wasn't getting to AT LEAST parallel. If you can't go lower than that, it's because you have mobility issues, and you need to correct those, rather than just continuing to add weight to poor movement patterns.

This.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

This.
    ^this
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

This.
    ^this

And again.....THIS
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

My daughter does :)

Think you said earlier you prefer front squats? (Sorry if it was someone else). I find these easier with my legs together :/
  • MUZZAMMIL10
    Options
    Should your upper legs be parallel to the ground when doing a squat? Cos mine aren't!

They are when I do a squat without any weights but not when I squat with weights.

I started with 11kg and am now squatting 15.5kg, but is there any point in increasing weight if I'm not doing it right?

I say reduce the weight, squat with upper legs parallel to ground or lower and use wide stance.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Aside from lifting too heavy, it may be a matter of posture if you can't go parellel or lower. I saw way too many trainers who "think" they know what a squat is, leading their trainees terribly wrong. While you're doing squats, if your knees are strained then you won't be able to pull one properly. You should lift with your glutes, those muscles are the ones which should feel the burn, not knees or you will eventually risk knee injury.

As said above, do not add weights to your squats until you start squatting properly.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I was getting too much pressure/strain on my knees because I was trying to go too heavy too quickly.
    So, after talking with a friend who's a strength trainer, he suggested resetting with just the Olympic bar.
    Rather embarrassing to go down to only 45 lbs but he insisted that I need to get the feel for it again and to loosen up the hips.
    It helped a lot but I'm still working on it. Only going up 5 lbs increments per week right now and every time it's ATG.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options

I do. Not like Westside-wide, but still wide. I have a tiny bit of a leg length difference, and I've found the wider squat stance helps prevent some of the associated hip aches that I suspect are related.