Thrifty Food Plan - SNAP

Options
Querian
Querian Posts: 419 Member
I recently started a new job where I am helping people obtain SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, otherwise known as food stamps. I'm fascinated by the Thrifty Food Plan which is what the benefit amount is based on (like if you are a single person with no money and no income you can get $200 a month based on the Thrifty Food Plan - going down to $189 in November). I've found a few things online but I'm wondering if anyone has any resources that might include sample meal plans? I feel like my husband and I don't waste any food and don't buy hardly any junk food but we still spend much more than the $367 allotted for a household of 2 each month. I'd like to see if I can figure this out.
:flowerforyou: Thanks!

Replies

• pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    more of a recipe site than meal plans, but a great resource for cheap ideas. A UK site, but think moth things translate to the US ok.

http://agirlcalledjack.com/tag/recipes/
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    One thing you need to take into consideration is that if a family qualifies for SNAP, then they also qualify for other food benefits, especially if there's kids. WIC, free school breakfasts and lunches etc. More and more school districts are even offering free 'community' lunches during the summer now. So the SNAP benefits are being supplemented a lot of time. Also, many churches and such have food pantries, where if you qualify for SNAP, you also qualify for free bags of food. Just in my area I can think of at least 5 churches that offer this, including the one I go to (and they include fresh, local produce and eggs etc etc). My parents are in the low income bracket and they don't pay a penny for food.

$50 for one person, per week for groceries is very doable, as long as you're smart about what you're buying. My family has a grocery budget of $90 a week/$360 a month for a family of 5, which includes packed school lunches and non-food items like tp etc. We do not receive any kind of food assistance. It's possible, just takes some time and creativity :)
  • Querian
    Options
    Thank you, pricesteve! I'm going to check these out!
  • Querian
    Options
    iechick, yes, I realize this is supplemental, that is what the S in SNAP stands for! But wow you are doing really well with your groceries, I'm super impressed. We have already spent $150 so far in October for two of us and I'm going to the store right now and will probably spend another $100. I am trying to keep it under $367 for the two of us this month but I'm not sure yet if we can.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    iechick, yes, I realize this is supplemental, that is what the S in SNAP stands for! But wow you are doing really well with your groceries, I'm super impressed. We have already spent $150 so far in October for two of us and I'm going to the store right now and will probably spend another $100. I am trying to keep it under $367 for the two of us this month but I'm not sure yet if we can.

When I was out of work a few years ago my husband and I had to be creative with our food budget. I actually stopped buying a lot of processed foods because it is less expensive to make some things on your own.

Example - frozen biscuits or even the canned biscuits are $1.50 - $3.50 per package, but I can make HOMEMADE biscuits for about $.70 per meal. (Pain stakingly priced all ingredients to get this number.)
    Also, I can make cream of chicken soup (used in a TON of recipes) with milk, flour, butter, and chicken bouillon for about $.33 where a can of this soup is $.80 at the cheapest I've seen.)

I also would buy whole chickens and break them down for several meals. Whole chicken is about $5 on sale and yields chicken leg quarters for one meal, chicken breast for another meal, and even the back/sides of the bird for chicken soup. This was instead of paying $4 for chicken breast and another $4 for chicken leg quarters.

Also, buying ingredients that can be used for several meals saves money and cuts down on waste.

I hope this helps you help your clients.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I recently started a new job where I am helping people obtain SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, otherwise known as food stamps. I'm fascinated by the Thrifty Food Plan which is what the benefit amount is based on (like if you are a single person with no money and no income you can get $200 a month based on the Thrifty Food Plan - going down to $189 in November). I've found a few things online but I'm wondering if anyone has any resources that might include sample meal plans? I feel like my husband and I don't waste any food and don't buy hardly any junk food but we still spend much more than the $367 allotted for a household of 2 each month. I'd like to see if I can figure this out.

I eat a lot of black lentils (high in fiber and protein), chickpeas and black beans. Make curries with chickpeas and potatoes or potato curry mixed with sweet corn. When on a budget one have to become very creative in the kitchen.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    They are buying a lot of low quality processed foods.

Ramen is 3 or 4 for a buck
    boxed mac and cheese is 0.50-0.88 cents most places
    high fat meats are half if not less then that the cost of lean meats
    Pasta is generally a dollar or less a box
    You can get canned sauce for a buck
    I think canned veggies are inexpensive too (but I don't buy them so idk)
    You can get white bread for a buck or a buck 50 usually
    Rice can be cheap and it's filling
    Frozen juice concentrate is usually way cheaper then juice in the juice aisle.
    fruits and veggies would be whatever is on sale.. that's if they can still afford them..
    Oatmeal is inexpensive if bought in the bulk container rather then individual packets. Mix it with yogurt and fruit or peanut butter and jelly or cinnamon and honey. That is very filling!

If they cook, they can reduce their prices even more buy buying different meats each week in bulk, and freezing them in meal sized portions. Soups can be inexpensive and can last a long time if portioned out and supplemented. I cook soup and chili all the time. It lasts me for days if my son doesn't eat it. My soup is going on day 10. 1 medium sized crock pot full, 1 cup a day. Price will vary with what they put in it. To make it more filling add pasta or rice to it.

it also highly depends on the age and gender of the family make up. I spend a lot more on food to feed my son then my friend does to feed her daughter of the same age. (although she spends a lot more on clothes! LOL). I spend 400 + a month easily on groceries fora family of 2. But i'm feeding a teenage football player who is currently bulking and I buy all fresh produce and lean meats. I also cook *almost* everything I eat from scratch and pack lunches and snacks for my son to take to school.

I think I am going to track what I spend at the grocery store this month. I'm always afraid to. I don't want to know the number. lol
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Id o not know a lot about SNAP, but if you could team up with a family or friend, get a Costco or Sams Club membership, fruit, vegetables, meat, chicken, milk and bread is a lot cheaper than the supermarkets. You could even buy in bulk and split between the two of you. I normally shop in Costco once every 4-6 weeks (and in between will buy milk and some fruits). For me this works out a lot cheaper than shopping every week. Also check out the supermarket weekly sales - I normally buy by Fage yogurt from Harris Teeter on sale 10 for $10.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Id o not know a lot about SNAP, but if you could team up with a family or friend, get a Costco or Sams Club membership, fruit, vegetables, meat, chicken, milk and bread is a lot cheaper than the supermarkets. You could even buy in bulk and split between the two of you. I normally shop in Costco once every 4-6 weeks (and in between will buy milk and some fruits). For me this works out a lot cheaper than shopping every week. Also check out the supermarket weekly sales - I normally buy by Fage yogurt from Harris Teeter on sale 10 for $10.

I've got a Sam's Club Membership and I manage to spend less than $35 a week on food for just myself.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

The thrifty meal plan that snap uses is not a great meal plan to figure out money. The amounts they give are not enough to sustain without buying the cheaper junk foods. In my Dietetic Internship (I'm a registered Dietitian) we had to follow their thrifty meal plan and use a small convenience store like most low income households have access to and plan out a day to fit into the amount they provide. It was hard and completely unhealthy.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    One thing you need to take into consideration is that if a family qualifies for SNAP, then they also qualify for other food benefits, especially if there's kids. WIC, free school breakfasts and lunches etc. More and more school districts are even offering free 'community' lunches during the summer now. So the SNAP benefits are being supplemented a lot of time. Also, many churches and such have food pantries, where if you qualify for SNAP, you also qualify for free bags of food. Just in my area I can think of at least 5 churches that offer this, including the one I go to (and they include fresh, local produce and eggs etc etc). My parents are in the low income bracket and they don't pay a penny for food.

$50 for one person, per week for groceries is very doable, as long as you're smart about what you're buying. My family has a grocery budget of $90 a week/$360 a month for a family of 5, which includes packed school lunches and non-food items like tp etc. We do not receive any kind of food assistance. It's possible, just takes some time and creativity :)

All of this exactly. I'd also like to add in that along with churches giving bags of food, I know the elementary school near me gives kids a few bags of food on (some?) Fridays.

The key to it technically is SUPPLEMENTAL. Though like the poster I quoted said, $50 IS do-able in many places (though I believe not all 100% of the time) with creativity and planning.
    We have already spent $150 so far in October for two of us and I'm going to the store right now and will probably spend another $100. I am trying to keep it under $367 for the two of us this month but I'm not sure yet if we can.

I think it's awesome when people set a budget for their food shopping. I live on a fixed income, and I like nice things and fun things (clothes, travel and entertainment to name a few). I also like to spend as little as possible on everything including food. I'll absolutely admit that finding the best deal is a passion of mine. (And FWIW, I don't intentionally coupon. Ever. Though I will absolutely accept free ones in the checkout and it has happened many times.)

How you can save money on food absolutely depends on

where you live (apt/house/urban/rural/suburban/geographical area in a country)
    how much time you have (bread/yogurt-etc from scratch/canning food/meals from scratch/batch cooking/prepping well ahead)
    what you can store (in a freezer/pantry/basement/hall closet)
    what you like to eat (I <3 BEANS! AND SOUP! BEAN SOUP...MMM!)
    what you're wiling to sacrifice (meat every night of the week)
    what you can beg, borrow or steal--ok, maybe not the last one. (But I do borrow things like food savers, tag along to warehouse stores, and as for things that are useful in my endeavors for cheap cooking as gifts, like a slow cooker and food storage containers. Alright and maybe I'm not against stealing garden fresh food from my mother ;-) )
  • Querian
    Options

When I was out of work a few years ago my husband and I had to be creative with our food budget. I actually stopped buying a lot of processed foods because it is less expensive to make some things on your own.

Example - frozen biscuits or even the canned biscuits are $1.50 - $3.50 per package, but I can make HOMEMADE biscuits for about $.70 per meal. (Pain stakingly priced all ingredients to get this number.)
    Also, I can make cream of chicken soup (used in a TON of recipes) with milk, flour, butter, and chicken bouillon for about $.33 where a can of this soup is $.80 at the cheapest I've seen.)

I also would buy whole chickens and break them down for several meals. Whole chicken is about $5 on sale and yields chicken leg quarters for one meal, chicken breast for another meal, and even the back/sides of the bird for chicken soup. This was instead of paying $4 for chicken breast and another $4 for chicken leg quarters.

Also, buying ingredients that can be used for several meals saves money and cuts down on waste.

I hope this helps you help your clients.
    I also cook from scratch, buy whole items, and save the scraps for stock. They are all good ideas, that's for sure! I also make my own "cream of ____ (fill in the blank) soup" mix like you do and it really it easier to use and much less expensive!

I think one of the big issues is that a lot of people don't really know how to cook. The better cook you are I think it is probably easier to cook on a budget.
  • Querian
    Options

I eat a lot of black lentils (high in fiber and protein), chickpeas and black beans. Make curries with chickpeas and potatoes or potato curry mixed with sweet corn. When on a budget one have to become very creative in the kitchen.
    Now you are making me hungry! I actually love lentils, chickpeas and beans. Plus potatoes and corn! They are all very cost effective and tasty, too!
  • Querian
    Options
    They are buying a lot of low quality processed foods.

Ramen is 3 or 4 for a buck
    boxed mac and cheese is 0.50-0.88 cents most places
    high fat meats are half if not less then that the cost of lean meats
    Pasta is generally a dollar or less a box
    You can get canned sauce for a buck
    I think canned veggies are inexpensive too (but I don't buy them so idk)
    You can get white bread for a buck or a buck 50 usually
    Rice can be cheap and it's filling
    Frozen juice concentrate is usually way cheaper then juice in the juice aisle.
    fruits and veggies would be whatever is on sale.. that's if they can still afford them..
    Oatmeal is inexpensive if bought in the bulk container rather then individual packets. Mix it with yogurt and fruit or peanut butter and jelly or cinnamon and honey. That is very filling!

If they cook, they can reduce their prices even more buy buying different meats each week in bulk, and freezing them in meal sized portions. Soups can be inexpensive and can last a long time if portioned out and supplemented. I cook soup and chili all the time. It lasts me for days if my son doesn't eat it. My soup is going on day 10. 1 medium sized crock pot full, 1 cup a day. Price will vary with what they put in it. To make it more filling add pasta or rice to it.

it also highly depends on the age and gender of the family make up. I spend a lot more on food to feed my son then my friend does to feed her daughter of the same age. (although she spends a lot more on clothes! LOL). I spend 400 + a month easily on groceries fora family of 2. But i'm feeding a teenage football player who is currently bulking and I buy all fresh produce and lean meats. I also cook *almost* everything I eat from scratch and pack lunches and snacks for my son to take to school.

I think I am going to track what I spend at the grocery store this month. I'm always afraid to. I don't want to know the number. lol
    I totally agree that a lot of people are probably buying these types of processed food but I'm pretty sure the thrifty food plan on which the benefits are based don't use these types of food in their plan. And you are definitely right that it does depend on who you are feeding! I also buy tons of fresh produce which I think not everyone can afford. I do stock up on frozen veggies when they are on sale too. I don't use frozen veggies a lot but it's nice having them around cause you can use them in lots of different ways.
  • Querian
    Options

You know I used to shop at Costco a lot but I was unemployed for a few months this summer and it was very intimidating to me to go to Costco because it always cost a lot of money and I always still needed to go to another store for items that Costco did not carry. I admit you get a lot for your money there but for me it did not work when I did not have an income (was using my savings). But your idea of teaming up with someone is really good. Then you could split all the bulk items and still have lots of food and it would be half the price. I need to find someone to do that with now even though I'm back at work! I do shop sales though and you can get some really good deals that way, I agree.
  • Querian
    Options

I've got a Sam's Club Membership and I manage to spend less than $35 a week on food for just myself.
    Wow - what do you eat for $35 a week? I'm so curious! I probably spend more than $35 a week on fruit alone. My husband eats tons of fruit...
  • Querian
    Options

The thrifty meal plan that snap uses is not a great meal plan to figure out money. The amounts they give are not enough to sustain without buying the cheaper junk foods. In my Dietetic Internship (I'm a registered Dietitian) we had to follow their thrifty meal plan and use a small convenience store like most low income households have access to and plan out a day to fit into the amount they provide. It was hard and completely unhealthy.
    This is very interesting. I live in an area where there are plenty of grocery stores (unlike many urban areas) so I think there would be more choice here for a low income family than in Detroit where I used to live.

Now the thrifty food plan isn't based on convenience store food, here is a summary of the 2006 plan for women age 19-50

Total calories: 2298 per day
    7.35 oz grains (3.68 should be whole grains)
    3.37 cups vegetables (including green, orange, starchy, other and legumes)
    2.10 cups fruits
    3.15 cups milk products
    6.3 oz meat and beans (including red meat, poultry, fish, nuts and seeds)
    30.45 grams of oil

I took this info from here: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/TFP2006Report.pdf
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've never been on food stamps so I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I do have my own budget for food.

For the two of us it's under $400 a month (and that's with treats, impulse buys and extras.) I can get it down below $300 a month (when times are tight) just by cutting back on the processed crap and extra treats, and by stocking up on the expensive items (meat and fresh fruits and veg) only when it's on sale, buying frozen vegetables (cheap but just as nutritious as fresh) and buying basic cooking-from-scratch type items (dried beans and grains, etc.)

I cook almost everything from scratch and it's just a cheaper, healthier way to live. It's also more filling than so-called "cheap" junk food, so you don't need to eat as much to be satisfied.
  • Querian
    Options

All of this exactly. I'd also like to add in that along with churches giving bags of food, I know the elementary school near me gives kids a few bags of food on (some?) Fridays.

The key to it technically is SUPPLEMENTAL. Though like the poster I quoted said, $50 IS do-able in many places (though I believe not all 100% of the time) with creativity and planning.
    We have already spent $150 so far in October for two of us and I'm going to the store right now and will probably spend another $100. I am trying to keep it under $367 for the two of us this month but I'm not sure yet if we can.

I think it's awesome when people set a budget for their food shopping. I live on a fixed income, and I like nice things and fun things (clothes, travel and entertainment to name a few). I also like to spend as little as possible on everything including food. I'll absolutely admit that finding the best deal is a passion of mine. (And FWIW, I don't intentionally coupon. Ever. Though I will absolutely accept free ones in the checkout and it has happened many times.)

How you can save money on food absolutely depends on

where you live (apt/house/urban/rural/suburban/geographical area in a country)
    how much time you have (bread/yogurt-etc from scratch/canning food/meals from scratch/batch cooking/prepping well ahead)
    what you can store (in a freezer/pantry/basement/hall closet)
    what you like to eat (I <3 BEANS! AND SOUP! BEAN SOUP...MMM!)
    what you're wiling to sacrifice (meat every night of the week)
    what you can beg, borrow or steal--ok, maybe not the last one. (But I do borrow things like food savers, tag along to warehouse stores, and as for things that are useful in my endeavors for cheap cooking as gifts, like a slow cooker and food storage containers. Alright and maybe I'm not against stealing garden fresh food from my mother ;-) )

Good points here! I am actually mostly vegetarian, I really never make and meat at home, If I eat it I'm out as a guest in someone's home or at a restaurant. But I probably spend half of my food budget or more on fresh produce which is not always the most cost effective choice. I do shop the sales and buy in season so that helps but I spend a lot on veggies and fruits and often the checkout people remark on all my produce.

Gardening is a good idea and SNAP benefits can actually be used for seeds and plants to grow. But you are right that it takes lots of planning. I spend a lot of time planning and preparing my meals and I'm not sure if everyone is willing to do that much work. But if you can't afford to do otherwise I guess you will have so take the time to plan ahead, shop sales, and spend wisely.

I live in Montana which is not particularly vegetarian friendly. I would say food costs are average here. I've lived in Detroit and San Francisco and DC in the past few years and food here is not cheaper than in those places in general because a lot of it has to be shipped in at great distances. But the prices here are not higher than those other places, either. Some things are less expensive, like produce at the farmers market is less here than it was in California.
  • Querian
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised this month we've done pretty well with our food budget. As of Oct 21st I still have $115 left to spend and will probably just go shopping once more time before month end so I think I will make the $367 budget for two people.

We did go out to eat several times and those meals are not included in the total.

I have looked around some more and found some more resources including the following example menu with recipes:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/FoodPlansRecipeBook.pdf