Is it possible to lose 18lbs in 1 month??

Im 210lbs and 5'4 (i dont workout last time i exercised was in april 2013)

and i eat junk most of the time

Now if i eat healthy and workout for 40min 3-4x per week can I lose that much??

Replies

• If you cut out almost all carbs you can. Carbs make you retain water. Cut carbs, cut water retention. Cut water retention, cut weight. Almost 8lbs/gallon. For every 1 gram of carb you eat, 3-4 grams of h2o follow. Check out paleo diet and atkins diet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Weight loss is a result of a caloric deficit. To lose one pound you need to burn 3,500 calories

So, attempting to average that over a 30 day month:

18 lb x 3,500 calories per pound = create a 63,000 calorie deficit over 30 days

63,000 calories per month / 30 days = 2,100 calorie deficit per day (less food, more movement combined)

Can you do this? What does MFP say you should eat per day to maintain? You can also plug the same goals into MFP to see what it says.
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    Not trying to be a downer, but I don't see this having a good outcome. Its about being consistent, not trying to loose all this weight in 30 days. You will end up gaining it back and more. Look at your long term goals. If this is your path, I wish you good luck
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    No. You can't and you shouldn't. Do you want to cut off a limb???? And cutting out carbs and so called water weight is well, just nonsense.

Sorry, but it didn't take you a month to get to 210 pounds and it is going to take some time to lose that weight. Unrealistic expectations will only discourage you and keep the cycle going.

If you eat at a deficit and work out, you will lose weight. There a numerous threads on here to show you just how. Do a little homework. You will be glad you did.
  • Weight loss is a result of a caloric deficit. To lose one pound you need to burn 3,500 calories

63,000 calories per month / 30 days = 2,100 calorie deficit per day (less food, more movement combined)

Can you do this? What does MFP say you should eat per day to maintain? You can also plug the same goals into MFP to see what it says.

This isnt acurate if a person is just starting. Water weight is still there.....once that has been dealt with then you are correct. This person is obese. They prob have about 30lbs of water weight and can easily lose this in 30 days, Cut salt and carbs...DONE
  • MelodyandBarbells
    I plugged in your numbers (and made up some others) in this Total Daily Energy Expediture (TDEE) calculator and got 2323 for your TDEE. It would be very difficult, IMO, to average a 2100 calorie deficit per day over a month, based on a TDEE so close to 2,100 already. If I had to guess I would say no, you probably couldn't healthily lose 18 pounds in the next month.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    No. You can't and you shouldn't. Do you want to cut off a limb???? And cutting out carbs and so called water weight is well, just nonsense.

Sorry, but it didn't take you a month to get to 210 pounds and it is going to take some time to lose that weight. Unrealistic expectations will only discourage you and keep the cycle going.

If you eat at a deficit and work out, you will lose weight. There a numerous threads on here to show you just how. Do a little homework. You will be glad you did.

^This
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Weight loss is a result of a caloric deficit. To lose one pound you need to burn 3,500 calories

This isnt acurate if a person is just starting. Water weight is still there.....once that has been dealt with then you are correct. This person is obese. They prob have about 30lbs of water weight and can easily lose this in 30 days, Cut salt and carbs...DONE

I see what you mean, like if they want to fit into an outfit or something. Do you really think someone coming off of eating junk food could stay away from carbs and salt a whole month? I also took that into consideration (not very active) while assuming they might not be able to burn the calories to generate the deficit
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    I once lost 25 in 2 weeks when they amputated my left arm.
  • Weight loss is a result of a caloric deficit. To lose one pound you need to burn 3,500 calories

I see what you mean, like if they want to fit into an outfit or something. Do you really think someone coming off of eating junk food could stay away from carbs and salt a whole month? I also took that into consideration (not very active) while assuming they might not be able to burn the calories to generate the deficit

You have to want it more than the alternatives. Ive trained lots of ppl that can do it. As a matter of fact I wont train ppl who havent hit rock bottom. Whats the alternative? Heart disease, stroke, cancer?
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    When I was young, I used to lose that much easily in a month (and I know that I did with the old Stillman diet, for some of you old timers!), but I'd usually gain it all back.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    It may be possible, but it's not a very realistic goal. More than 2 pounds a month is generally considered unsafe. If you do lose the weight that quickly through crash dieting, you'll probably just gain it all back later because that isn't sustainable.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Now if i eat healthy and workout for 40min 3-4x per week can I lose that much??

No, if you're talking about actual fat loss.

If you stopped eating entirely for a month and then spent the last 24 hours on a treadmill in a sauna, then maybe you could get there. Even then, much of it will come right back as soon as you drink any water.

If you are already fit, it might be possible to do this without literally starving yourself by exercising at extremely high levels (eg running 15 miles a day), but very few people have the ability to actually do that. Plus that much work at such a large deficit has other negative repercussions.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    not likely without losing a limb
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    If you cut out almost all carbs you can. Carbs make you retain water. Cut carbs, cut water retention. Cut water retention, cut weight.

That's not maintainable. It means draining your body's primary "battery", which will recharge (and therefore rehydrate) the first chance it gets.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Many things are possible, I would never deny the possibility, only question the reasoning behind the strategy. That said, weight can sometimes come off easier and quicker at first the more you have to lose, you still have to diligently log what you eat and maintain a large deficit though. One month is a drop in the bucket though.... You'll have to keep it up a lot longer than a month to make a positive lasting change, so why only focus on a month?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    I think weight loss is a dark art as well as a science! Some people do see rapid loss at the beginning of a lifestyle change - yeah sure a lot of it may be water, but it's very motivating.

I lost 14lb in my first month of following MFP - that was February of last year, and it has stayed off (I've trebled that loss since, but more slowly). I wasn't either obese or inactive, and I didn't do anything drastic (I had my calorie goal a little lower than I would now that I'm better informed, but not by much.

It's probably not good to expect it - then you'll be disappointed - but the benefits of eating well and exercising appear surprisingly fast and in all sorts of ways.
  • MelodyandBarbells

You have to want it more than the alternatives. Ive trained lots of ppl that can do it. As a matter of fact I wont train ppl who havent hit rock bottom. Whats the alternative? Heart disease, stroke, cancer?

Time :) Six months to a year WILL come around, then you'll have to ask yourself what you did with it. The better answer for the OP is I spent it losing weight healthily
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Just eat at Taco Bell every day. You'll poop enough to lose 18 pounds, especially if you drink a lot of coffee too. And laxatives.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Is it possible to lose 18lbs in a month? 18 lbs of what? Mass? Then maybe. Fat? No.

The scale is not the best way to gauge progress. It tells you what you weigh, but not how the components are distributed. For the same weight, muscle occupies less volume than fat, so it is possible to drop a couple of sizes and not see the scale budge just because of changes to your body composition.

If you want to obsess over a number, go ahead. People live and die by the scale (in some cases quite literally), and never realize the damage that they do to themselves in pursuit of a number rather than looking at their body composition.