Make healthy decisions based on facts, not feelings.

Options

In 12-step programs there is a saying: "There are only two times to go to a 12-step meeting: when you want to go and when you don't want to go." How can you apply this philosophy to your healthy new lifestyle? Do you think it is a good idea to base what you do (with exercise and food choices) on how you feel?

If you only do the right thing when you feel like it, how likely are you to lose your excess weight and keep it off for life?

Action for the day: Today, do what supports your healthly new lifestyle. For example, don't base your decision to exercise on whether or not you feel like it. Do it because you have planned to do it. No excuses.

Replies

• katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying this. I too often make excuses for myself to not go to the gym, or to not work out, just because I don't "feel" like it. I work a long day, and I use that as an excuse constantly to get out of exercising. I'm not helping anyone by doing so, and I know it. Your words definitely struck a chord with me, and I'm making a new resolution because of them. Thank you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options

In 12-step programs there is a saying: "There are only two times to go to a 12-step meeting: when you want to go and when you don't want to go." How can you apply this philosophy to your healthy new lifestyle? Do you think it is a good idea to base what you do (with exercise and food choices) on how you feel?

If you only do the right thing when you feel like it, how likely are you to lose your excess weight and keep it off for life?

Action for the day: Today, do what supports your healthly new lifestyle. For example, don't base your decision to exercise on whether or not you feel like it. Do it because you have planned to do it. No excuses.

This may be my favorite post ever! It's definitely in the top 10. :happy:
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I will keep this quote in mind for the next time I don't feel like exercising or eating healthy.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great advice! And I sure need it! I had such a crappy lazy weekend and I'm having a hard time snapping out of it! All I want to do is eat! Now, I'm eating healthier snacks, but still too many snacks and not enough exercise or veggies. I have zero energy or motivation to go to the gym. I worked out with my trainer on saturday but even that was half effort. ugh! I think my hormones are out of whack! lol!
    I love your posts!!
  • Newme2b
    Newme2b Posts: 32
    Options
    Molly it is funny that you bring up the 12-step program because I am a counselor at a drug and alcohol center and I tell them all the time that those 12-steps should be used in most of life's dilemma....
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    This morning I was really struggling with exercise. The alarm went off at 4:35 as usual and I hit snooze a few times, then decided not to go to the gym. Re-set alarm for 6;30 and went back to sleep and said maybe I will do a Leslie DVD. 6:30 came and I said I am so tired and I felt like reseting the arlarm again for 7 30. I remembered this post from yesterday. So I got up at and did a 35 2 mile DVD.

I felt good. I remembered this said it does not matter what we feel like doing. Just do it! I know I need to exercise at least M - F because my weekends are impossible.