Just discovered roasted vegetables

Where have you been all my life? :love: I've always loved steamed vegetables with butter and sour cream, but have been making do with Greek yogurt. I made my first attempt at roasting, and I can eat these with just the olive oil, and not much of that. I'm going to be doing this a lot. This batch was Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and carrots. Next I'll try brocolli, onion and asparagus. What else is good roasted? (I'm not a big squash fan.) I love finding something new, yummy and healthy!

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms are good too (although I prefer my mushrooms on the stovetop in a little butter).
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Summertime favorites are zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers, pearl onions and potatoes!!! With some olive oil, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper!!!! Year round I do a combo of frozen baby carrots, frozen broccoli and Brussels sprouts with the same coating as the other!!! Asparagus is great, but I have to cook those separate because they don't cook the same amount of time as the others.

I ADORE roasted veggies!!!! We eat them all the time during the summer and in the winter, I just switch to frozen! You don't have to thaw the frozen either, just put it right in the pan!
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Beetroot is good roasted with olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. turnip, parsnips and other roots are good in a little oil, or tomato, courgette, pepper, onion can go in a pasta dish. Roasted garlic is lovely too, you keep it in the little shell and then when it is done you can just squeeze it and spread it on things like potato.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    i never ate vegetables in general until i started dieting. now i can honestly eat most of them raw or at least boiled on their own and i just don't understand how they can taste so good
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    I love roasted veggies, too.

Peppers, zucchini/courgette, eggplant/aubergine, red onion, asparagus, green bean, artichoke, potatoes...yum yum

A dollop of marinara sauce is also a tasty addition to veggies if looking for variety.
  • Ajsmom1221
    Ajsmom1221 Posts: 1 Member
    My favorites are cauliflower with EVOO,garlic and onion. Carrots with EVOO, and asparagus with EVOO and a little balsamic vinegar.

I do not like broccoli roasted, I think it smells bad. :-)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Yay for roasted vegetables! Try roasting turnips with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Roast carrots are like candy to me. Sooo good! my husband likes them too,which is a wonder.
    He doesn't like carrots cooked any other way.

Our daughter loves all roasted veggies,especially green beans & asparagus.She cuts up leftovers & adds them to salad.
  • In for the roasting...
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Roasting changes the flavor of squash. So, even if you don't think you like squash, try yellow and zucchini squash roasted. That's how my husband learned to love them. Also, try broccoli roasted - YUM!!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    eggplant sliced thin is like french fries, kale (like potato chips);

asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, mushrooms
  • sweet potatoes and butternut squash are two of my favorites
    Sometimes I use the roasted bn squash to make vegetarian chili
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Roasting changes the flavor of squash. So, even if you don't think you like squash, try yellow and zucchini squash roasted. That's how my husband learned to love them. Also, try broccoli roasted - YUM!!

Mine too! He didn't like either one till I made him eat them roasted!
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    I love all these ideas!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm actually just going to start cutting my veggies and have got some great ideas. Never thought of roasting asparagus or broccoli. Will be trying it tonight . ????????
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Roasted green beans. Tiny bit of olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. Dee-lish.

Roasted Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite things ever...and I REFUSED to eat Brussels sprouts as a kid, because my grandma boiled them. A few years ago I tried them roasted and now I make a batch at least once a week! I'm also partial to roasted asparagus, my little girl loves both too, I used to make her baby food and roasted pureed asparagus and Brussels sprouts were some of her first veggies and now at three she likes veggies over just about anything else!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,140 Member
    Congratulations.........:flowerforyou:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Smoked paprika.
  • Bump..Really need to do something besides boil or steam vegetables..
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Roasting changes the taste of Belgian endive also. It gets sweeter and less licorice. Great with leeks, cherry tomatoes, EVOO, all kinds of peppers, and lemon to have with fish or chicken. I usually roast all the vegetables first fir at least 30 minutes, then add the fish for 10-15 minutes depending upon how thick or chicken again based on thickness 20-40 minutes right on top so all the juices soak in.