Are pre workouts worth it?

Options
A lot of times I struggle finding the energy to workout. If I drink a coffee or take a caffeine pill beforehand it usually helps, but I'm wondering if I should consider a preworkout drink. I know they're expensive though - would it really give me a boost better than a caffeine pill or coffee? And I do cardio as well as weights if that helps to know

Replies

• GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. Maybe you should still wait a bit and see if it stays that way..Everybody has ups and downs .. It just might be your mental approach to lifting weights or doing cardio or something.. Do you enjoy working out?
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would agree on waiting.

I would avoid a pill and instead use a powder formula. Many companies sell them. Yes they are expensive. Maybe you won't need it every workout.

I personally use a pre-workout only before my cardio-heavy workouts. I do find I have increased energy and more stamina. I also drink a post-workout shake.
  • jenmencer
    Options
    I love my pre-workout. I use it both before cardio and before strength training. It not only gives me added energy but it reduces muscle fatigue during the workout itself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I love my pre-workouts.

What is your definition of expensive? With a GNC gold card you can get 50 servings of N.O. Xplode in the ballpark of $40. I rarely even use a full serving of it, so I can get 3 months out of it.
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. Maybe you should still wait a bit and see if it stays that way..Everybody has ups and downs .. It just might be your mental approach to lifting weights or doing cardio or something.. Do you enjoy working out?

To answer your question and be completely honest.. I don't enjoy working out. Once in a while I look forward to it, but rarely. But what I love is the progress I make physically, and how healthy I feel mentally. That's probably why it's difficult for me to find motivation and energy to do it. To top it off, I don't have a gym buddy either, which I feel would help. I don't have a boyfriend to go with, and all my girlfriends either refuse to workout, or they go to other, much more expensive gyms
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate how unregulated the suppliment industry is. I don't screw around with anything that isn't simple like straight whey protein.

Honestly, you're going to get the same thing for less if you just make a shake with some sugar or coffee. Hell, I usually just eat a banana before going and it has alway suited.

Sleep, also sleep.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to go the pre route, many have an ingredient beta alanine. This will make it feel like your skull is coming through you skin. You will get full body tingles. I like the feeling, but just warning you.