Home Workout Routine?

Options
Okay I'm struggling to find a routine. I am about 170 lbs and will be in a wedding in May but I have to buy my dress as soon as possible (probably next month). That being said NO I am not looking for a miracle. My end goal is about 125 lbs (I'm 5'6").

I want to lose a couple pounds a week until May AND have nice toned arms, legs and shoulders for the big day.

Right now I only do a workout DVD about 3-5 times a week. It is cardio but also a lot of body weight exercises, squats, planks, push-ups, lunges, etc...

I recently bought a pair of 10 lbs dumbbells.

A gym is not possible right now and outdoors is not ideal because of the questionable neighborhood and I don't have a car.

My question is should I have something like doing cardio 3x a week, 1 day or arms/chest, 1 day legs? Or what? I want to be strong not just skinny. I have a toddler to keep up with!

Replies

• MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Zuzka Light's workouts? I have been doing her workouts for a couple of years now and I LOVE them. She has some DVDs out now (I like ZCUT Power Cardio) but she also has 70 free videos on youtube FULL of workouts. They are mostly bodyweight and cardio but they have toned my arms like crazy...I love them.

Search on youtube for ZWOW #1 and you will find her!
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I do my workouts at home as I live to far away from a gym do you have a touch phone if so do you have the app sworkit on it they are partners of my fitness pal and you dont need any gym equipment and boy you get a workout with it and it links up with here
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight routines - Nerdfitness, Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

Bodybuilding.com has a great exercise database that includes quite a few bodyweight exercises too.

Here is another link with some exercises but I'd look into investing in dumbbells with plates so you can get heavier (cheaper than buying dumbbells per weight in the long run)

Also, check craigslists for weights, bench, and such too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells