Insomnia

Options
Anyone else experience insomnia when trying to go to sleep on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach? I know when your stomach is full your blood (and energy) is shunted to your GI tract to help digest so it leaves you feeling tired but, why so wide awake on an empty tummy? it's getting so miserable not being able to sleep! Anyone else see a noticeable difference in sleep patterns?

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I HAVE to have something to eat before bed. Last night it was an apple, some roast chicken and a mug of hot milk. I try to save a couple of hundred calories for this. If I don't manage to save the calories - I have it anyway! Can't bear being hungry in bed.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience insomnia when trying to go to sleep on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach?

Nope, but I don't feel hungry - do you ?

If you eat a lot of carbs at each meal you might get low blood sugar towards bedtime and that could be part of the story.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had some of this type of problem when I was just eating 1200 calories a day but now I just try to save some calories for an after dinner snack. Some days I use it and some I don't but its still a nice option to have at the end of the day. I don't think its necessarily wrong to let yourself feel hungry but I try to never go to bed hungry.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ops double post sorry
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I tend to sleep better if I go to bed slightly hungry; if I have a big meal before bed I tend to struggle to stay asleep
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience insomnia when trying to go to sleep on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach?

If you eat a lot of carbs at each meal you might get low blood sugar towards bedtime and that could be part of the story.

Eating lots of carbs does not give you low blood sugars, High carbs = high blood sugars
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Eating lots of carbs does not give you low blood sugars, High carbs = high blood sugars

I think what the poster was trying to say that if you eat a lot of carbs at dinner, you'll feel hungry again sooner than if you have a protein-rich dinner. I never realized that until my nutritionist told me that protein helps you continue to feel full. I always assumed it was things like bread and pasta, but nope! They might get you stuffed in the short-term, but you need to load up on protein if you want to avoid snacking later.

On that note, there's about 6-7 hours for me between dinner and bed. I need something in that time frame, so I try to save a few hundred calories for something later in the evening to keep me from having a rumbly tummy in bed.
  • heva__x
    heva__x Posts: 14
    Options
    I get this all the time. I already struggle with insomnia but I have been prescribed medication for this. Even with the medication, if I have not ate for a while before I try to sleep then I seem to toss and turn for ages. I now make sure I've had something bloating before I go to bed, like toast and a protein shake. Problem solved. I remember when I first went to the doctor for my insomnia he said "no eating 3 hours before bed time or you will not sleep"..hahah NO NO, my belly won't let me sleep unless it has something in it :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I try to save some room for carby pre-bedtime snacks (which will promote sleep) and also supplement with magnesium (a muscle relaxant).