FOR FEMALES ONLY

Maybe i'm not posting it in the right place, but i didn't know where to post this. I had my merina coil removed 13 days ago after having it in for 5 years. since removal i haven't stop bleeding. Started bleeding heavily after day 4 and since yesterday its become heavier with blood clots. i'm very concerned as to how long it will go on for,. i will see a doctor tomorrow but has anyone experiened this?

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379 Member
    Yes I experienced this. Clots are not necessarily bad unless they are fresh looking blood. Old blood is not a problem.

But please don't trust me, I'm not a medical doctor and I'm only speaking from experience and not medical knowledge.

Best of luck with it.
  • A_new_Romi
    A_new_Romi Posts: 29 Member
    Hey love. I've never had an IUD but clots aren't an issue. I would see a doctor ASAP to both ease your mind and assure that everything's alright. Take care! <3
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Same thing for me when I had my mirena out - and I'd only had it fitted for 12 months. I suspect it's normal - but if you're worried call your GP surgery monday. Unless it's very heavy, it seems unlikely to be lifethreatening / anything to worry about right now. If you get significant pain (I had moderate dragging pain, for a little while after it was removed) then obviously call someone right away.

Though as others say, not a doc, so only talking from personal experience.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Yes, that happened to me, and there was no medical problem.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I saw this in an episode of star trek, except it was a warp drive coil that has to be ejected.

If you are concerned enough to post on a message board, i think visiting sick bay would be a good idea for piece of mind.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    OMG This is your opportunity to call the number on that lawsuit commercial. I think it was warning women about this product. First get better, second SUE THEIR *kitten*.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    No question about it, Doctor. ASAP!
    I hope everything is fine. Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A weight loss forum really isn't where you seek medical advice.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    A weight loss forum really isn't where you seek medical advice.
  • QueenMaryam04
    QueenMaryam04 Posts: 43 Member
    Go to the Doctor then sue them pronto,I wish I did it didn't work!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    wow. i'm spotting major cultural difference.

uk posters: "sounds like a normal withdrawal bleed, but if you're still worried tomorrow, give your gp a call"

us posters: "you are probably going to bleed to death. but if you don't SUE!!"
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    I don't think there is anything normal or usual or acceptable in bleeding for 9 days with progressive increase in the amount, enough to have blood clots which form only when your body can't keep up with anticoagulant production.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I didn't find it "acceptable," but I went to the doctor and there was no medical problem. It's within the range of normal responses to having an IUD removed. Not something one can sue over.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Ok. I am only a HCA but I work in contraception and here is what I know about how the IUS coil works. That the Mirena hormone coil for anyone in the US where they band the IUD and IUS together.

The IUS is a progesterone only form of contraception and it works by thinning the lining of the womb. This is why for the first few weeks/months of taking a progesterone contraceptive bleeding is quite normal. Because of this thinning, upon stopping any progesterone contraceptive you can have bleeding for sometime as your bodies hormones return to normal. It can also take you some time to become fertile again though the warning is that everyone is different and some people can become pregnant immediately after stopping their method.

Bottom line is this. If you are worried go and see a Dr but they may send you away for another few weeks as it will more than likely sort itself out in due course. Fitting of an IUS or IUD is normally the most risky part, not removal. Unless of course it was not situated correctly.

I would also like to say that the IUS has been around for many years and I am not aware of any major issues with it that could cause a firm of lawyers to post ads about it.

Good luck!!