Perplexed By Some Diets & Long Term Success

Options
Some dieting choices do confuse me. The diets in which you can eat a pound of bacon, but cannot eat corn, peas, rice (I live in the south) or potatoes cannot be healthy. High protein and no carbs can work, but what about the long term? Will you be the skinniest person at the cardiologist? Do you have to be committed to never eat a slice of bread or a baked potato again? Wouldn't your body grab hold of the first carbs it gets and refuse to release them? I think eating everything you like, within your allotments, while on weight lose regiment, then increasing and monitoring while in Maintanance is the best way to go to achieve long term success. It is unlikely the weight came on in a month, trying to lose it in a month cannot be the best option either.

I know I am luckier than most. I put in the weight in a time frame of over a year, lost it in about 4 months. Most of it without realizing I was losing weight. I knew I was not eating properly, and stopped what I was doing. I didn't get on a scale because I didn't like what it was telling me.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    there have been studies on Atkins and some people do swear by it, but yeah, my mum did Atkins on and off since the 90s and she's never managed the maintenance bit, in fact she is now 70odd lbs heavier then she was before she started. It is though, because although she did manage the eating part for the main part, she does love her red wine and a bottle and a bit each day does add up. She has no concept really about what calories she takes in and how much she burns. Starvation mode myth is her favourite and she feels she is depriving herself all the time, whereas in reality she is actually taking in considerably more calories then she burns and thus gains weight ...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    8JdbMAq.gif
    This is gonna be a hotbed of derp soon, and I can't be sure from your post if you really are curious or just trolling for drama, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you really want to know, google Insulin Resistance.

Once you know the pathology, you will know why people choose to restrict carbs as well as benefits & risks.

If we're back to that same old argument of which diet is better, carb based vs limited carb based, then the 'search' function is your best bet.

ETA: img
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I tried the atkins diet once. I was miserable and still fat. Cutting out carbs is unrealistic for me and my wallet. I like just staying with in my allotted calories for the day. I did give up sodas, chips and most chocolate (except my chocolate protein shake which gives me my fix when i need it) Eating smart and smaller portions works. This is the first time in my life I have lost the weight and am managing to keep it off. Still got about 15lbs to go but I feel healthier then ever. My stomach turns now when I talk to people on "fad" diets. I just want to inform them about MFP and eating smarter. Ugggg.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    8JdbMAq.gif
    This is gonna be a hotbed of derp soon, and I can't be sure from your post if you really are curious or just trolling for drama, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Once you know the pathology, you will know why people choose to restrict carbs as well as benefits & risks.

If we're back to that same old argument of which diet is better, carb based vs limited carb based, then the 'search' function is your best bet.

I was asking if anyone, themselves or someone they know, has had long term success from using high fat/low or no carb diet. When they got to their target weight were they able to reduce fats and reintroduce carbs to their diet and maintain their weight lose. Anything you search on google, yahoo, etc., will give you pros and cons no matter what the topic. I didn't realize people's personal experiences were a "Hot Bed Topic".
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have done the Atkins diet and it does work. I have found that diets that suggest restricting "bad" carbs do tend to help with weight loss. Yet with too few carbs I just do not feel right.

So a diet such as Atkins may be good as a jump start, but I think a balanced diet with reasonable amounts of carbs is best for my long term health.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You're over-thinking it. Unless you have a metabolic condition just eat food. Not too much food or you'll get fat. Establish a regular exercise routine. It's so simple it's almost magical.

The idea that the body will hold onto a carb and never release it is BS. The reason that carbs (or other calories) are not released is because that some people keep shoving their pie hole full of food. They can't burn it off fast enough.

The notion of "no carbs" is wrong. Everyone points to bread and potatoes when talking about carbs, overlooking the carbs in most vegetables and fruits. It would be exceptionally difficult or impossible to sustain a diet that had no carbs.

It sounds like you're perplexed and confused by those that choose a paleo/primal path. If that's their thing then that's their thing. FInd something that works for you and don't worry about the sky falling.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I feel I can sustain a ketogenic eating plan long-term. I'll just eat at maintenance with SLIGHTLY higher carbs once I reach my goal.

There are SOME diets that can never be sustainable after one reaches their goal, but I don't think keto is one of those. I truly don't.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    8JdbMAq.gif

I was asking if anyone, themselves or someone they know, has had long term success from using high fat/low or no carb diet. When they got to their target weight were they able to reduce fats and reintroduce carbs to their diet and maintain their weight lose. Anything you search on google, yahoo, etc., will give you pros and cons no matter what the topic. I didn't realize people's personal experiences were a "Hot Bed Topic".

Sadly, other people's personal experiences IS a hot bed topic. Check out the search function on this site and you'll see what I mean.

As far as long term, I've been doing keto for going on 6 months now. All the markers that indicated I was fast on my way to a major decline in health have reduced & the chances of me dying of heart dz, kidney dz, retina damage/hemorrhage, stroke, poor circulation, and hypertension have normalized.

For me, this is success. I've lost a total of 28#'s and continue to drop. My energy level is through the roof & I feel better than I have in years.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    8JdbMAq.gif

Sadly, other people's personal experiences IS a hot bed topic. Check out the search function on this site and you'll see what I mean.

As far as long term, I've been doing keto for going on 6 months now. All the markers that indicated I was fast on my way to a major decline in health have reduced & the chances of me dying of heart dz, kidney dz, retina damage/hemorrhage, stroke, poor circulation, and hypertension have normalized.

For me, this is success. I've lost a total of 28#'s and continue to drop. My energy level is through the roof & I feel better than I have in years.

Correct, and that is excellent! My question is what happens once you reach your goal.

I guess I should clarify a few things. My weight gain, and loss has been recent. I am married 20 years this month. I was blessed with a pretty high metabolism and have been able to pretty much eat what I wanted most of my life. Approaching 50, not so much, LOL. I do the grocery shopping and cooking in my house. Always have. I am pretty good at it, or so I have been told. My wife does not have the same metabolism I have. She started on this program two weeks ago, and has lost 15 lbs so far, and I am very proud of her for that. Over the years, I have cooked through Sugar Busters, Cooking with Rosie (Oprah stuff), Atkins, Weight Watchers, Vegetable Soup Diet, etc., etc., etc., to no long term success. What it comes down to, when I do something, and it is working, I don't listen to what anyone has to say. As you all know, once you say you are on a diet, everybody has a better idea.

Snack bags (celery and carrots) made, grilled chicken cooked, chopped, weighed and bagged for the fresh cut salads. Hummus made, laughing cow 35 bought, etc.

The other day, while having about 1/2 lb to go to meet my goal, and I was told by someone that told her she should try some Phase diet, that I should lose and extra 5 lbs for a cushion by someone that jumps from diet to diet. She got more upset about it than I did.

We are both on blood pressure meds, and she is on cholesterol meds. She has a longer way to go than I do. Our boys are young, and we and her around. I love to cook, and we both like to eat. I guess her weight gain is partially my fault.

I didn't wake up this morning and said, "What kind of crap can I get up and stir this morning". Anyone can view my previous post to see that it is not my style. I can easily convience myself to blow off all the suggestions. It is not as easy to convience someone else who has dieted on and off for years to stick with what is working when you are denied nothing, just go with what's working in moderation and keep your will power. I cannot keep two teenage boys in the house on a diet, so there are things in the house she cannot just sit and eat. Taste it, log it, and keep going.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My thoughts?

Well mostly they're that you appear to think that carbs = starchy carbs alone (bread, potatoes, rice etc) and you've not mentioned the fact that carbs are also found in green vegetables and fruit. I don't know anyone who is eating a 'no carb' diet - that would involve only eating animal based protein and fat - no veg, no fruit, no dairy.

I've not been a big starchy carb eater for the last 10 years or so because they bloat the hell out of me and frankly I don't want to eat things that make me feel bloated and sluggish - so it's an extremely rare day that I'll eat pasta (that's the biggest bloating offender for me.) I can take or leave potatoes, instead if I have chips (fries) or mash I use other root vegetables like celeriac which is a fraction of the calories as well. Bread I have perhaps a couple of times a week, but just a slice or two.

You can't understand how people avoid the starchy carbs because you like them. Likewise I always have trouble understanding people who can eat a whole pint of icecream or half a jar of Nutella because even before I started dieting, the mere thought of that much gluggy sweet stuff makes me want to heave!

In short - different people have different tastes. There's no one 'right way' to get to the destination.