Another Today show watcher!

Options
I just joined today also after seeing the Today show. Tamera is amazing!

I am 220 and my health is suffering. All my medical promblems are due to weight. High B/P, high cholesterol, high triglycerides (so high you could fry eggs with my blood) :( and the main thing is no ENERGY!!! How do you get up and do anything when you can't get your butt off the couch??

I am a Braillest for the school district so I have been off since June. Had so many plans for the house and things to do with my daughters (ages 2 and 18). Now I have one week left and my poor two year old has had a very boring summer and very little done in the house.

The thing that is really bothering me is the fact that my children have never seen me healthy! I started gaining weight after my son was born and I have now doubled my weight!! My son is staitoned in Afghanistan and will be home in Feb. 2011 and I would love to be healthy and energized so I can enjoy my family and not to just sit and obsess over what I am going to eat next. I would also like to live, I am so afraid of dying and leaving my children especially my two year old with out a mother.

I would love to have some new friends to join me so we can help each other on our journey!

Any and all advice is very welcomed especailly on how to get my butt up and to beable to drive by and not into a fastfood joint!

Replies

• jjkil
    jjkil Posts: 1
    Options
    I to joined after watching the today show today, i want to get these 25 pounds off for good, here we go
  • pvorwick
    Options
    I'm here for you! I am in a similar boat. I've been unemployed since March and am a single mom. I still take my son to daycare so he can have fun during the day, but there have been days and days (weeks actually) where I just sleep my day away or just sit on the couch. I know I'm depressed. I've gained weight also and am about 212. Would like to get down to 160. Anything we can do for each other would be great! Best to you! We'll get there! We have to do it for our kids and most of all for ourselves and our health!
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's a really great place with amazingly supportive people. If you want a new friend, feel free to add me. I have a long journey ahead of me as well.
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    Options
    Welcome! I also have been home since June and head back to work for the school district in September. I'm a little worried how I'll continue this lifestyle change once I start working again. I have no excuses NOT to exercise when I am home all day during the summer!! But I remember all too well how tired I am at the end of the work day....

But I just wanted to say that so far, this site has been so helpful. I've been here for a little over 3 weeks and I've gone down one pant size and I have lots more energy already. Seeing progress is all the motivation I seem to need right now. So my advice is to stick with it and you will see progress too. Good luck to ya!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome New Friends! Great to have you all join us on your journey:drinker: :wink:
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I too watched the today show. I've been searching for a while for a website "FREE" that I can get and give support at. I would love to be in your support group.

I've been yo-yo dieting for years. Just recently I lost 50lbs but the scale has again crept back up. I need to lose 30lbs. If anyone's starting a support group, I'd love to join

I even put in as part of my inspiration, the woman from the Today show. She looks amazing
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    Welcome everyone!!
  • iowabelle
    Options
    I'm a Today Show watcher too. I weigh almost the same as Tamara, 270. I've been unemployed a long time (my career imploded), lost my home and most of my possessions, and have suffered from depression for a very long time (which probably explains the majority of the weight).
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Welcome, Today Show newbies!

i started at 232 about 6 months ago. Now, at 172 I am technically within my healthy weight and working on the last 15 pounds and some inches off my middle.

I can absolutely promise that if you're looking for inspiration, think about how much better you are going to feel, both physically and emotionally down the road when you are successful. I would not trade my energy level or mental attitude for ANYTHING now.

Since joining this site and losing the weight, I feel like I have grown closer to almost everyone in my life. My husband and I work out together, playing racquetball or lifting weights. I have another gym buddy who will do pretty much ANY workout with me. I have (along with my brother's success) inspired my parents, who have now (after a lifetime of unhealthy habits) lost at least 30 pounds each.

I've also learned how to cook. - Actually I should rephrase that - I've learned how to plan balanced, healthy and delicious meals. Meat, veggies, etc. I've got a general goal of eating the rainbow of fruits and vegetables and I've remembered my love of things like watermelon and apples, fresh veggies, etc. I've also learned to love all sorts of new foods. Visit the recipes board, or go to sites like cookinglight.com or eatingwell.com to find some great ways to making losing weight delicious.

The rewards you will encounter as you travel down this road are more than worth it. And because the site is all about personal accountability and not sending you food or planning meals for you - you really get to sit back, look at your progress and be proud of what YOU accomplished through your own fortitude.

Best of luck to all those inspired by the Today Show!