Mum thinks I'm eating too much...

Options
I've barely eaten today and I'm too tired to do any exercise. I wanted to get up to at least my BMR but my mum keeps telling me I'm eating too much and it's triggering my eating disorder. Before I tried recovering I didn't eat for 13 days.

What do I do???

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Honey, first you need to know you're not eating too much. If you're not even netting your BMR, especially when trying to recover from an eating disorder, you're actually undereating by quite a lot.

I am so sorry your mother is doing this to you. She shouldn't. She's your mother; she should be caring for you and protecting you, and I'm sorry you're not receiving that. With that said, I really think you should call a sane adult -- friend, family, co-worker, anyone -- if you have such a person in your life. Tell them you're struggling with your eating, that you know you need more food, that your body is exhausted from not receiving enough fuel, and that you're in a toxic environment. You need to hear from someone you trust that you're not eating enough and that you need and deserve more fuel for your body (and mind).

You may want to consider looking at long-term solutions such as moving away, getting into therapy, getting your mother into therapy, or some combination of all of the above. In the meantime, hold tight and KNOW that you deserve better and more.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, eat! Go out to eat so you don't have to listen to your Mom. I agree with everything avskk said.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You just made me tear up, there is nothing worse than a Mom being hard on her daughter when it comes to eating, ESPECIALLY after you've had an eating disorder. I completely agree with the other two ladies, eat more, and please try to find an adult/friend who you can talk to. I'm SO sorry your Mom is being like that, my Mom was like that as well. It's tough.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Tell your mom to suck a toe and go get something to eat.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Ask your mother what she would prefer. You starving yourself and dying? Or you getting healthy and losing weight the right way? And then from now on, ignore her bullcrap and do what you need to do.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've barely eaten today and I'm too tired to do any exercise. I wanted to get up to at least my BMR but my mum keeps telling me I'm eating too much and it's triggering my eating disorder. Before I tried recovering I didn't eat for 13 days.

What do I do???

Sweetie....I think your mom is part of the problem here. She's probably contributed to your struggle with eating disorders. DON'T LISTEN TO HER! Please seek help from another older, wiser woman. Maybe a counselor, a friend's mom, someone at school or church, a sports coach that you know, anyone you feel you can trust!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Probably your mom is scared that you eat a lot now and then just start starving yourself. She's scared of your yo yo dieting behavior, like more food- no food for 17 days.

You can explain her that now you're serious about your healthy life style. That you won't starve anymore and just want to follow the basic healthy eating routine. Explain her your new diet life style so she can be supportive of you.

Good luck.