College Snacks...?

I'm a college student and I'm trying to eat better/lose weight while I'm at school.
We have so many different food options to choose from, but most of them are so high in calories.
I'm wondering if anyone has some good ideas for snacks that I could pack in my backpack in the morning and carry around with me all day to classes? I'm on a tight budget being a college student...any good ideas for a college student friendly snacks? Thanks!

Replies

• I bring apples or some sort of fruit, cheese sticks, pretzels, and greek yogurt. I also pack almost all my meals, so my backpack is always awkwardly shaped due to tupperware haha. It takes a lot of effort, but there's no other way I could stay on track on campus.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Fruit, nuts, granola bar..You can make your own snack mix with things you like if you just want to munch. Sometimes I put a handful of almonds with some honey nut chex cereal (my favorite) in the snack size baggies, but you could use whatever you like, even add a few chocolate chips. Protein powder, just add water when you want it. Sorry can't think of more, I have a ton of ideas if you had a way to keep it cold.
  • fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges, and pears pack well)

dry cereal

pb/j sandwich

seeds/nuts mixed with dried fruit (pumpkin or sunflower..already shelled) or either one alone

protein bars (love them..whether they're "glorified candy bars" or not)

fruit packed in water

oatmeal packet if you can get to hot water at a coffee shop on campus or something
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options that I enjoy on the go include: light Sargento string cheese, carrot sticks, watermelon, snow peas, apples, banana chips, berries, Back to Nature granola (the Sunflower Pumpkin seed variety is the amazing!), rice cakes, and Smartfood Selects popcorn. You don't have to buy all of those things in one week of course. As you measure portions, you'll find that snacks tend to last longer. If you have a food scale, it's quick and easy to throw whatever snacks on in the morning to measure portions before you go. I generally plan out all of my snacks/meals at least a day in advance to help determine what will fit best into my day too.
  • caligirleatswell
    caligirleatswell Posts: 11 Member
    I always pack my own food! So much cheaper and healthier! My personal favorites:

Fruit (bananas, apples)
    Vegetables (carrots, snow peas, celery)
    Almonds
    Popcorn

I also always carry around gum, mints, and a couple lollipops for when I'm studying and just need something sweet for taste.