Reading the Scale

Options
General question:

How do you guys read your scale weight?
When I stand on the scale and shift my weight a little bit (e.g. standing straight versus slumping, balancing my feet properly etc.) the weight on the scale shifts too. With just this 'shifting' I can get a reading of +/- 3-5 lbs, so I am not sure what weight I should record.

Right now I am purposely just recording the highest weight that the scale reads for me.

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My scale doesnt do that. Not sure about that.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale? If not an option I say just make sure you always do it the same way, either slouch every time or stand straight up then at least you will have a consistent trend.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Old analog scale? Mine did the same thing. Bought a new digital at Walmart for $25. Problem solved. In the interim, you can make sure your scale is on a hard surface, and the exact place every time you weigh. They usually have four little "feet" on the bottom and if they aren't compressed equally, you'll get a different weight.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd say just stand still in roughly the same posture each day. Don't move because I think that could get you too much variation based on how energetically you do it.

However you get the weight values, I'd then chart them. The charting gets rid of a lot of worthless and demotivating noise. I like trendweight.com (free, not even any ads, my chart below).

Osric

4w.png
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my scale (a digital one, placed on a hard surface) does that too, though just by a matter of about 2 pounds. Just a matter of making sure I stand very still on it in the exact same position as much as possible every time for a consistent reading. It doesn't matter if the "heaviest" or the "lightest" position is the most accurate, just be consistent so your body weight changes will be consistently captured.