Does anyone do power cleans anymore?

Options
Hello everyone! :)

I am just interested in seeing what everyone's views are with the "old ways" of strength training, particularly the power clean that many have adopted from Olympic weight lifting many years ago. Do you partake in this exercise or have seen anyone recently doing this exercise that is not an Olympian? There are so many new ways and options to strength training and am I curious to hear from you and viewing your opinions on the power clean and if it is relevant to today! Thanks! :)

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I can't do them in my normal gym, it's not set up for that. But it's part of the standard Starting Strength routine, so it's still alive and kicking as a lift!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just did some this morning. My strength training plan is the one from "Starting Strength"

Day A: squat, bench press, deadlift
    Day B: squat, overhead press, power clean

These movements need to be perfected under the guidance of a professional trainer in my opinion. Getting the form right on your own is difficult and potentially dangerous depending on how much you are lifting.

Osric
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've power washed the barn walls to get rid of cobwebs, does that count? :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do them all the time, but I agree that it is a technical lift and takes proper instruction and training. The Olympic lifts are fun.

The gym I'm at now, people do them all the time.
  • nattleattle
    Options
    I totally agree that you need the proper technique! I personally have not done them because I do not believe they are worth the risk when there are other techniques to gain the same benefits, but I believe if you want to do them, do them...just be careful. :)

For you that do perform the power clean, does your trainer or anyone tell you that it will benefit you more than other exercises? I have read numerous articles and a lot of them are totally for or totally against the power clean.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What's the "totally against" argument? It seems to me it's a near-perfect exercise - requires strength, agility, coordination and explosiveness.

I'd be curious to hear what the negatives are...?
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    For you that do perform the power clean, does your trainer or anyone tell you that it will benefit you more than other exercises? I have read numerous articles and a lot of them are totally for or totally against the power clean.

I think it's hard to come up with movements that have the same explosive power requirement as a power clean does.

Maybe box jumps? But then I already have a bar in my weight room, and bumper plates, but no box. I suppose I need a box.

Osric
  • nattleattle
    Options
    From what I have read, the negatives mostly do with the higher risk for injury when there are other exercises out there that are more safe and effective. Some of the articles mention that the clean is not specific in gains for sports as well. Meaning that the power clean will only help improve your power clean and nothing else pretty much.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, the negatives mostly do with the higher risk for injury when there are other exercises out there that are more safe and effective. Some of the articles mention that the clean is not specific in gains for sports as well. Meaning that the power clean will only help improve your power clean and nothing else pretty much.

Not sure how someone could come up with that criticism, when most gyms are filled with things like hip abductor, back extension, and even crunch machines.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I see loads of people do power cleans, although sadly a lot of them with terrible form, "jump and shrug, bro!" and rack positions that look like some kind of wrist torture etc...

I do them, although not as much as "normal" squat cleans. My training is based around weightlifting, so it's a no brainer for me, but they have a huge carryover to most athletic endeavours that require powerful hip extension - sprinting, jumping, football linemen blocking, rugby scrums, the list is huge.

Obviously if the technique is wrong, you risk more harm than good, but that applies to nearly any other free weight exercise too.
  • Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing power cleans. The challenge of doing them adds another element to lifting. I am lucky to have a good trainer. Mind you I am just learning technique at the moment :smile: