Dairy Intolerance With Acceptions??

Options
So I have a dairy intolerance, but I'm experimenting with new foods because I got tested and I don't have a real lactose intolerance, but my stomach hurts alot when I drink milk :( I can drink Pediasures, which are classified as lactose free(but have whey protein and milk protein concentrate in them) and greek yogurt and parmesan cheese(the grated kind you put on pasta), but Pirate's booty (the white cheddar flavored puffs) regular yogurt, plain milk, and cheddar cheese bother me! Do you think I would be able to tolerate protein bars that have whey protein in them?? This is so confusing :frown: haha ! Do any of you guys find you're able to eat some dairy products and not others, and if so, what products?

I was doing some research and found that there are 2 types of protein in milk- casein and whey. So I thought maybe I could have whey but not casein, but apparently Greek Yogurt has more casein and they whey is strained out. So I don't know what to think!!:sad:

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either. I am lactose intolerant-milk does things that don't need to be mentioned. But, I can eat yogurt and several types of cheese with no problems.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lactose is the sugar in milk, so it could be that type of milk sugar that upsets your stomach.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It will depend on whether your intolerance is to the sugars (lactose) or proteins (casein and whey) in milk. If you can have Pediasure (whey protein) and Greek yogurt (casein) without any issues, then it is most likely that what you can't tolerate is the lactose.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    dairy allergy and lactose intolerance are two totally separate conditions

dairy allergy is an allergy (i.e. immune system overreaction) to milk protein (as you said there are two, so the allergy could be to whey, or casein, or both). Allergy symptoms include: nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, hives, asthma, eczema, and in severe cases swelling of the throat and anaphylactic shock (most allergies are not that severe though, for dairy allergy usually it's stuff like hives, sore mouth/lips, nausea and other digestive issues)

lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose, which is a sugar found in milk, due to not producing enough of (or any of) the lactase enzyme, which digests lactose. The undigested lactose builds up in the gut and the gut bacteria try to break it down, resulting in abdominal cramps, bloating, diarrhoea, gas, general discomfort and in severe cases vomiting as well.

So the symptoms can be similar (but not the same) but the cause is really different. If you have digestive problems after drinking milk, it could be either of the above, some people maybe have both problems. If you find that some dairy products are fine and others are not, make a list of the ones you're fine with, and the ones you're not fine with, and see which ones have high or low levels of lactose, whey and casein, and see if there's a pattern. it's probably the case that only one of those things is causing the symptoms, and that you can eat dairy products that have low levels of whichever one it is without digestive problems.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your gut uses the enzyme lactase to break down the sugar (lactose) in milk
    Its very common, for our bodies to produce less lactase as we age, resulting in an intolerance.
    The resulting stomach pains, gas, loose bowel movements and distention is a result of it being broken down by bacteria in the intestines.
    Most people with lactose intolerance can tolerate 1/2 - 1c of milk a day, or the equivalent, but it varies.
    Yoghurt and cheese are often OK as the natural goodies in the yoghurt help with breaking down the lactose, and with cheese it is usually broken down in part during its production.
    Low-fat dairy tends to be more problematic as the lactose is not carried in the fat, so less fat = more lactose. Also they often have "milk solids" added for more flavour/improved texture, again = more lactose added.

Casein/whey have nothing to do with lactose, but look out for added "milk solids" in the ingredients list.

Also, you can get lactase supplements from most drugstores - take some with the dairy products that give you trouble, and you should be symptom-free : D
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a lactose intolerance and have since I was born. I can't tolerate any straight cows milk. However, I can have a small amount of ice cream or cheese but I do pay for it later with a slight upset stomach. Yogurt is not a problem as I was told by a dietitian that the cultures in yogurt break down the lactose for you so your body doesn't have to.That would be the same for both normal and greek yogurt.

I have had no problem making protein shakes of whey protein with either water or soy milk. Also, I get most of my teas made with soy milk. I find soy milk is a better substitute than most other as it has the same consistency as cows milk and therefore an easier recipe replacement. Some of the soy cheeses are alright but they tend to be difficult to melt.

That has been my experience. Try staying away from the lactose and see how you feel. Add in things like yogurts one at a time and right in your food journal how you feel. That way you can go back and figure out what you can expect for different foods for yourself. To me, that is the greatest thing about having a food journal; documenting and experimenting.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    According to my Doctor, I am both Lactose and Casin intolerant. I can still eat dairy to a point. If I have too much dairy or the wrong item, I then start getting the systems. So it is an individual thing. Unfortunately, only you can tell what makes your body react.
    For me, I have severely limited my dairy and switch to soy and/rice milk. I use a soy protein shake when I need/want to. Plus I also use a tablet called "inner health - dairy free" ("a dietry suppliment containing 25 billion good bacteria each and are to be used to assist in the maintenance of a normal healthy gastrointestinal system and digestive function") and "Lactoese" that eases Lactose pains.

My advise would to start looking at the dairy free options. There are some really good products out there now.
    Good luck in what ever you decide to do.