Curious: TDEE and extra exercise in a given week?

Options
OK, here's the scenario: I eat TDEE -20%, and those numbers are premised on the fact that I exercise 5 times per week, 1 hour per session, for a total of 5 hours/300 minutes. This week I exercised more than that, and racked up an extra 100 minutes of exercise time. This is an atypical week, so I don't want to redo my whole TDEE set-up. But obviously I'm a bit hungrier than usual due to the extra exercise (high intensity cardio). So I was thinking that I'd eat back a percentage of my extra exercise calories. If I earned an extra 800 calories from the 100 additional minutes of exercise, maybe I"ll eat back 500 of them. I'm just curious how other people have handled this kind of situation, and what sort of results they've had.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you have a long history and results match your calculations, then you're probably in good shape to do as you suggest. If I do work above plan, I also eat back about 50% of the excess workload.

Just be careful, time spent exercising doesn't correlate well with calories burned - if you don't have enough logging to be sure you have TDEE dialled in the results won't be what you expect.