Gelatin

Options
Hey yos - I just learned about gelatin. 100% of the calories come from protein, and it's animal protein. Why don't I ever see this, then, on bodybuilding/high-protein forums?

Has anyone experimented with gelatin for muscle building, weight loss? Any recipes, tips, stories, warnings?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    yea it's boiled bones and skin and junk. Delicious..
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    yea it's boiled bones and skin and junk. Delicious..

When people make stock it's usually with bones and maybe skin. Nothing wrong with it unless you are vegetarian. It's a good source of protein I think.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Gag. I agree though. If you're not a vegetarian then why not.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What? But... but... Jell-o.. what kind of scrooge doesn't like Jell-o? :)
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My jello package has one gram of protein per serving--you would have to eat a lot of it!!! But it s going to be served more often in my house! Only ten cals for 1 g of protein
    P
  • osucristina30
    Options
    There are 2 types, gelatin- which you can use to make REAL Jello, not the box kind or collagen, which is the same nutrient but does not thicken liquid. I use collagen, which I put in my morning green smoothie, with NO added protein and it's 10g of protein. I drink it for an easily absorb-able protein right after a workout, since I don't eat for about an hour after. The bodybuilding sites prob don't tell you about it because they beef up on powders with like 25+ grams of protein. But collagen/gelatin is GREAT for hair and nails too!

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/index.php

As far as the bones and skin and junk.. there's a little more to it than that. Do your research and decide if it will work with your lifestyle!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    ^^ Just the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks!

Since there's nothing else in it, I would think that just gelatin + water would rival powders, at 100% protein and all natural. Though, maybe I'm missing something about how amino acids work, since the amino acid profile of gelatin is different than of muscle meat.

Glad to find you, osuchistina, and hear that you do this, too! :)
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The problem with gelatin is that it's not a complete source of protein. It's missing many of the essential amino acids that the body needs; which is why body builders aren't using it, and why they prefer to use whey isolate, casein, etc. It's protein, but it's kind of classed as "junk protein."

Mind you, that doesn't stop me from using it for belly filling snacks. Unflavoured gelatin + tea infusions = Jiggly sweet treats! :smile: