New runner, is the pain "normal"?

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Aches and pains when you start any new exercise are normal, you're using your muscles and joints in an entirely new way. But to ensure you haven't got an actual injury you exacerbate every time you go out, you might want to take a little longer between sessions to recover.

Your technique is the most important thing - aim for mid-foot landing rather than on your heel, take relatively small strides and don't extend your front leg out in front of your body. A slight forward lean (or your whole body, not from the waist) can help with this.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a week of C25K if you're not ready to progress. It's an amazing sense fo achievement when you totally rock a session you found tough the previous time!

Here are my beginner's running tips, hope they help. Pleas come back and let us know how your running's progressing :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I also posted about DOMS and pain I am getting from both starting to run and a couple of days ago doing Les Mills Pump (Challenge - the beginner one) - doing Zombie Run 5K Training and have just started week 3. I am 205lb and 5ft2 and have never run before (ever).

I get shin pain that started in my first walk/run within the first 5 mins, now it starts around the 15 min mark and it lasts for a few hours after I stop running. I also get other normal DOMS type pain in the quads and hams (and got it very badly after the PUMP session). My shoes were top of the line running shoes and properly fitted a few years ago (but I never ended up using the shoes so they are really being worn for the first time as runners now), I am a similar weight to then.

Someone kindly responded to me and sent me a link to excellent videos at Runners World on injuries which I have now watched and found very useful. http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away
    If you go to that page there are other videos explaining other types of injuries.

Since I started trying to learn to run - I have learned a new way to tie my laces (also courtesy of Runners World) that helped with my foot feeling like my heel was slipping in my shoe - even though it is correctly fitted. And due to watching that video I can confirm that I am experiencing Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome and I am going to get some sport socks and an insole to help support my arch and going to start doing some of the foot strength exercises to help.

Everyone is giving good advice, I highly recommend those videos and trying bits and pieces of everything that is safe and practical to try. I am also going to be repeating sessions of the Zombie 5k Running App if I don't feel ready to go to the next level.

Here's to both of us ending up runners!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    C25K is a garbage introduction to running. Its not right for many overweight people, older people, and weak people.

I'd get comfortable with increased walking speeds before pounding the pavement doing intervals... It's a recipe for disaster. Not a fan. Once you can walk a couple miles at a 15-16 minute pace I'd possibly do some jogging. I suggest ellipticals or bicycles if you'd like to do intervals. You'll get a lot of the benefits while significantly reducing your chances of injury. This will also help build leg strength which will translate to your running.

Disclaimer: I dont care if you successfully did C25K. Plenty struggle badly and its by no means a universal starter program.

Ignore this poster. he clearly knows nothing about c25k. It's helped countless people go from no running to long,long distances.

EVERY c25k programme encourages repeating any part of the module if you need to repeat. It is not the fault of the programme if people do not listen to their bodies. It IS a walking/running interval program, so why is it any more garbage than YOUR suggestion?

C25k is NOT exclusive for overweight people..anybody can do it.

You clearly have no idea what c25k IS and are offering very VERY irresponsible advice to anybody thinking of doing this programme.
  • jdunavin
    Options
    thank you for your reply. i have read many post on this site and overall have found them positive and helpful. however, when i decided to post i felt most responded in a negative tone about my weight, or my repetition, or that i don't need to run all together. the reason i have repeated has been more related to times of absence rather than being unable to complete the phase. so thank you for your suggestive and positive post!