Cereal! Low sugar types? Please help!

Options
In my diet I have a lot of sugar and diabetes runs in the family so I am trying to be a bit more aware of my intake to avoid getting it later on in life.
I like to have cereal for breakfast but I have noticed they are all really high in sugar and that's not even including the milk.
I get bored of things like Weetabix and corn flakes so I tend to like more fun and interesting cereal but not mussil/granola because it is way high and only get a small amount because it is dense calories and I'm starving after... Lol
So does anyone know some fairly low sugar cereal?????????

Replies

• goodnamegone
    Options
    How about finding other yummy things for breakfast like fruit, scrambled eggs, a banana, handful of walnuts and chopped apple and blueberries.

If you really have to have cereal than how about a bowl with oats, coconut flakes, sultanas, dried cranberries and chopped up dates?

You can make your own cereal too.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat.

Steel cut oatmeal. You can add nuts, seeds, fruit. Very good and tasty.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    smaps cereal...no sugar added..1 gram per serving
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How can you get bored of Weetabix? You can dress it up with all kinds of fruits, nuts, yogurt etc! This week I'm having raspberries with my weetabix.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My goto cereal is raisin bran which has 190 calories per cup, not counting milk. DH likes cheerios with 100 calories a cup, also not counting milk. He adds blueberries, which brings the calorie count up just a bit. I don't eat cereal every day, though. Sometimes I have eggs and other times I have cottage cheese and fruit. I know oatmeal is a healthy choice, but I rarely eat it. It just isn't "my thing." Good luck.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Kashi makes some lower sugar cereals, I've tried Cinnamon Harvest and it's good w/ some almond milk. Also regular Cheerios and Fiber One Crunchy Clusters. I actually only have dry cereal every once in a while because it doesn't fill me up like eggs and oatmeal does. Good luck!
  • lesleykendall42
    Options
    gluten free porridge, coconut mille, berries and honey. Try to stay away from cereal, cooked breakfast - eggs, bacon etc...much better for you.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you tries over night oats? I hated oatmeal but never thought to eat it cold. I'm obsessed! It's so easy to throw different things in the night before and it's ready when you wake up.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Cheerios
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    not sure what the sugar is but I love the special K with berries. Tastes yummy.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Kashi - Go Lean - Original 1 cup - 6g sugar, 140 cal, 13g protein
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How can you get bored of Weetabix? You can dress it up with all kinds of fruits, nuts, yogurt etc! This week I'm having raspberries with my weetabix.
    This. I've been having Weeabix for months and not bored of it. I have different fruit with it all the time. Blueberries, pineapple, papaya, strawberries, raspberries, sultanas. Even just a simple change of having it hot or cold. You get the idea.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat.

Steel cut oatmeal. You can add nuts, seeds, fruit. Very good and tasty.

This is what we have and my BF eats Corn Chex too. We add things like peanut butter and/or nuts, blueberries, cranberries, etc as well.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats for me. I just add hot water and have like that. Acquired taste mind.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Kippers....or mackeral.... The smell also guarantees kids will never be late for school and cant wait to get out the house !
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    im counting sugar grams not calories, i can work that out after
  • jess17587
    Options
  • jess17587
    Options
    Rolled oats for me. I just add hot water and have like that. Acquired taste mind.

yea i like that plus it would be nice to have something warm now winters coming and i could have a snack mid morning if i made it with water but maybe sometimes milk?
  • jess17587
    Options
    kind of high