I'm ditching the junk food - question about fruit.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    try using the slow cooker for the veggies, you can even do the fruit in the slow cooker, stews and veggies and all
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Find the veggies that you like. Remember that many healthy foods make sugar. Then just eat a balanced meal plan. Life is to short to avoid Snickers!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont give up too much of your chocolate though. Chocolate lovers=happy people
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For the smoothies, try this website - http://simplegreensmoothies.com/ - it's got a bunch of different recipes for green smoothies that are so tasty. They are green and you may be hesitant to try them for that reason (I was), but so far, the recipes I have tried have been so good! I never thought I would like smoothies with spinach or kale in them, but you can't taste the spinach in these smoothies. They are really amazing! And if you sign up for the 30 day challenge, they will e-mail you even more recipes for free that are so incredibly delicious! And you can make them in a regular blender that won't set you back a bunch of money! I'm not a huge vegetable lover myself, so I understand, and this has been a great way for me to get some extra vegetables in.

ETA: I was making myself one of these green smoothies and my incredibly picky 13 year old daughter saw what I was putting in it (including the spinach). She was intrigued, though, and asked if she could try it. She absolutely loved it, and the next day when I made the chocolate covered cherry smoothie (including spinach, cocoa powder and frozen cherries), she wanted me to make her one. Never in a million years did I think my picky eater would drink a smoothie with spinach in it!!!

Good luck!!!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great advice on blending ( I agree with blending vs. juicing!)! And congrats on going for such a great long term goal!

Another alternative if your are willing to consider: I do a supergreen called "Green Vibrance"...one scoop with a bit of milk, oj, vanilla whey and water. The one scoop has vitamins, minerals, probiotics, amino acids, enzymes.

As for chocolate, I make my own. Cocao, organic coconut oil, honey ( maple syrup, stevia, coconut sugar are also good). Bring to a boil on the stove, then refrigerate...you can add oats, peanut butter, peanuts, almonds....whatever you like. No reason to go without!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    try the veg sneak. Add steamed cauliflower chopped finely into your rice dish. Roasting all veg makes them sweet and caramelly w/nothing more than olive oil, salt and pepper. I LOVE roasting a bunch of carrots (and I hated cooked carrots as a kid), potatoes, onions, garlic, really any veg, throw into a pot with some chicken or veg stock, blend into a creamy soup. add ginger and/or curry for a change-up. Roasted butternut squash soup is sweet and delish. Another 'go to' soup for me is to steam cut up broccoli (5 min in microwave w/2 TBSPs of water - cover w/plastic wrap). Add to pot of 2 cups water into which you have added & heated through a bag of sweet peas, blend to smooth and serve with giant dollop of greek yogurt. You will NOT taste the broccoli, but you'll get all the fiber and vitamins. Can be served hot or cold.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's going to be difficult to meet vitamin A needs if you are low on meat and greens. Consider eggs and apricots to meet that.
    Same for K1 (Mmmm, parsley)
    Vitamin E is present in oils, greens and some fruit like avocados or mangoes.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The weight loss thing is going well... so now I've started on my second goal which is to quit the fast-food, takeaway junk, processed crap and chocolate (oh Snickers how I love you, though!) in a bid to get my fat/sugar macros under control and my diet as healthy as possible. My fat and carb (mostly down to sugar in my case) macros are SUBSTANTIALLY in the red every day, it can't be healthy and I don't want to end up with hardened arteries! Also I have yet to hit my protein macro. *sigh*

I really do not like vegetables. Except potatoes. Meat I like in small amounts, but can't eat loads. I love fruit though and I was wondering if it's possible to get all the micronutrients I need just from having some fruit every day?

Skittles are your best bet. Taste the rainbow. Rainbows are diverse, just like the micronutrients you need.