breakfast question

Options
Is it better to eat something to "jump start" your metabolism in the morning, or to save calories by not eating in the morning?

I'm worried that if I eat breakfast I'll be hungry all day...

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You should let personal preference, lifestyle, and athletic performance determine whether or not you eat breakfast.

It doesn't "jump start" your metabolism but it certainly may effect the above things that I listed.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You should let personal preference, lifestyle, and athletic performance determine whether or not you eat breakfast.

It doesn't "jump start" your metabolism but it certainly may effect the above things that I listed.

This-it's a preference/lifestyle thing. If you like eating earlier in the day then go for it. If you're not a morning eater then don't worry about it. Personally I break my fast at around 11am, but on the other hand my husband likes eating something by 7am because it makes him feel better. Go with what works for you :)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Meal timing really doesn't matter that much.

You should skip breakfast if you aren't hungry in the morning and would rather eat later.

You should eat breakfast if you want breakfast.

Skipping meals purely for the purpose of saving calories isn't the best way to go about things
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals purely for the purpose of saving calories isn't the best way to go about things

My concern is that if you eat in the morning you're metabolism will start up and you'll eat more over the course of the day because you'll be more hungry overall
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My concern is that if you eat in the morning you're metabolism will start up and you'll eat more over the course of the day because you'll be more hungry overall

This is a myth. This only "seems" to occur with me when I have a crap breakfast like a granola bar or something. If I eat something high in protein I can go for hours without eating again.
  • Winston1717
    Options
    I started doing IF recently which means no breakfast for me..fuel up is at noon until 8pm. I found that this works great and I have noticed results in a short period of time.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry in the morning...definitely eat breakfast. If not, eat when you are hungry. Listen to your body and give it fuel when you need it!!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Nope, your metabolism doesn't go on and off like a switch. Eating at a certain time of day does nothing special for your metabolism-just make sure you're hitting your calorie goal by the end of the day and you'll be good.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Yes, this
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat something to "jump start" your metabolism in the morning, or to save calories by not eating in the morning?

I'm worried that if I eat breakfast I'll be hungry all day...

Eating breakfast will not jump start your metabolism so do not stress missing breakfast.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    There is a lot of opinion floating around here on the subject and not much fact. I suggest using GOOGLE to find answers to questions that require factual answers. There are many studies on this topic and many facts to back up the findings.

In short, no you do not need to eat breakfast.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast during the week because I sit at a desk all day and think about food, weekends I generally don't eat till 1 or 2 and make myself a big yummy lunch.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    if i have a good breakfast i feel fuller throughout the day. if i skip it (which i havent in months) then im more likely to be hungry, overeat and reach for junk.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    protein shakes really give your metabolism a boost....like 5th or 6th gear! but they make you bulky so.....
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat when I get hungry... might be right when I wake up, 30 min later, or even 3 hours later!
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Usually on workout days I'll go for a bowl of porridge with some berries or seeds sprinkled on top. On non/light workout days, I'll just have a small banana or a boiled egg. If I ate a big dinner the night before and still don't feel hungry the next morning, then I don't have breakfast. However, if I know I'm going to be burning a lot of calories that day, I'll try to have something even if it's just a piece of fruit. Also, if I know I'm going to have wine in the evening, I'll keep my breakfast light so that I've more calories to indulge in later on in the day.

This all works for me, but perhaps more because it satisfies my psyche in terms of feeling like I'm 'eating well' than because it's actually sound nutrition in practice. Just go with what works for you! :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

This only "seems" to occur with me when I have a crap breakfast like a granola bar or something.

Agreed. I usually eat at 7:00 AM and go for my default breakfast of a cup of coffee with sweetener & splash of 1% milk, a SMALL flour tortilla, 1 egg fried in canola spray with or without bell pepper, onion and/or mushrooms, and a 1/2 TBSP of chipotle ranch dressing. Under 200 calories. I have this at least 4 days a week. I may change it up a bit, skip the tortilla & add more veggies or a little bit of cheese, have a piece of toast instead...other days maybe a Greek yogurt that is filling with a FEW almonds or pecans and/or a boiled egg.

I am NEVER hungry again until noon, if then. I could easily take my lunch break at 1 or 2 PM and be fine.

When I used to grab fast food breakfast or eat a cookie, granola bar, and/or nonfat Yoplait, I was tempted to snack and "starving" by 11 or 11:30, more so than if I skipped breakfast.

I personally like eating in the AM but also like keeping it low cal.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    this is not an actual threat to your hunger, metabolism or weight.