Basic Weight Lifting: What do I need to know how to do?

Options
Don't worry, you don't need to sell me on lifting heavy. I've seen the amazing results some of the other women on here have had and I can't wait to get started.

Here's my question: I get one free personal training session every couple of months through my gym and I'm going to use this one to learn some lifts. I was planning on asking my trainer to show me the 5x5 StrongLifts lifts (squats, bench press, barbell row, overhead press, deadlift). Any other basics I should learn now while I have someone checking my form?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would ask to learn something that will help you with power from the floor, personally. One of the reasons I like SS over SL is that it uses Power Cleans instead of rows (also rows suck). It's a lift that relies on explosiveness off the ground, which is a good thing for anyone, but particularly women, who get screwed when it comes to fast-twitch fibers and can use all the help in that regard that they can get.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net

The best lifting site on the Internet. Read as much as you can.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting a trainer to show you the lifts. It's VERY important have good form, especially when you progress to heavier weights.

I highly recommend the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's hands down the best book for Barbell lifting.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net

The best lifting site on the Internet. Read as much as you can.

This, a lot of this. Great site.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Excellent resource for women who want to lift weights.

http://www.stumptuous.com
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are off to a good start with learning the moves that you mentioned. Just don't let your trainer talk you out of them, this seems to happen from time to time..
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the quick replies! I will definitely look in to those resources.

I actually live in Germany and I've found that they're even more reluctant to show a woman heavy lifting here than in the States, but I have a good trainer and I'll be sure to put my foot down if she's trying to steer my towards the 2 pound weights.