Working at Jimmy John's and giving up bread. Support?

Options

Replies

• RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am kind of confused because it sounds like you do not like the JJ bread anyway, and are not really tempted to eat it. So what is the problem?

I used to work for Wonder-Hostess years ago and I actually lost weight working there because it was a physical job yet I had no desire to eat any of the Twinkies, Ho-Hos and such. Looking at them every day and smelling them made me feel kinda grossed out. I've talked to a lot of restaurant workers who feel similarly about the food they prepare and serve. Maybe that will happen for you?

I work for Bimbo. Used to be George Weston. So my job is to supply bread to the population. I like knowing that i'll have free bread for the rest of my life. Can sample all types of bread. Even access to cake, which for us is Entenmanns. Bread is the easiest thing to cut out if you want to save on calories. 100 calories or more for a slice of bread. So 200-250 calories for a sandwich. For some people that's a good chunk of their calorie budge. Empty carbs. Not saying it's good or bad. Just saying. I grew up eating bread. White bread.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I refuse to assist people in torturing themselves. Sorry.

How is she torturing herself?? She dosen't want to eat bread.. you act like thats going to kill her.. shes not taking all carbs out.. I've never seen anywhere that states that you have to eat bread to be healthy...

"It's in the Geneva Conventions, look it up!"
    Geneva-Convention-2.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am kind of confused because it sounds like you do not like the JJ bread anyway, and are not really tempted to eat it. So what is the problem?

I used to work for Wonder-Hostess years ago and I actually lost weight working there because it was a physical job yet I had no desire to eat any of the Twinkies, Ho-Hos and such. Looking at them every day and smelling them made me feel kinda grossed out. I've talked to a lot of restaurant workers who feel similarly about the food they prepare and serve. Maybe that will happen for you?

I work for Bimbo. Used to be George Weston. So my job is to supply bread to the population. I like knowing that i'll have free bread for the rest of my life. Can sample all types of bread. Even access to cake, which for us is Entenmanns. Bread is the easiest thing to cut out if you want to save on calories. 100 calories or more for a slice of bread. So 200-250 calories for a sandwich. For some people that's a good chunk of their calorie budge. Empty carbs. Not saying it's good or bad. Just saying. I grew up eating bread. White bread.

Yeah I eat bread. Not every day though.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Did a summer with no refined sugars back before I left for college. No bread, no rice, no pop. Drove me up the wall because suddenly I was working third shift with part-time work on top of it. Caffeine free was not the way to be, especially since I did nothing but sleep and work. This may have been a bit more of a contribution to the 17 pound weight loss than the shift in diet.

Granted, the two jobs were at a sweets bakery (cookies, cakes, pies, etc.) and Burger King.

Anyway. Rock on, good luck, and never go to work hungry.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I want to try and give up bread, mayonnaise, and soda for the rest of the month, but it is seriously the hardest thing I have ever attempted! I just try and fill my cravings with other things! Having an unwich and stuffing it with veggies is both filling and satisfying (for the most part) but making sandwiches for all those people.... ugh it's just really hard. I really would love some support!

You can do it! It's just willpower. Hippies on here are going to tell you that carbs are good and all that. Which i'm SURE you already know. ALREADY KNOW. The point is, this is just something that YOU want to do for yourself. So with that in mind, test yourself. See if you can manage your ability to not give in and quit. No one wants to see quitters. If you're going to eat a burger, just eat the patty. Replace soda with juice or water. Mayonnaise is tough, but maybe start with light mayo or miracle whip to ween off. Or replace mayo with mustard. These are just suggestions to help you with your intended goal. It's always good to step up to difficult challenges, which you indicated this would be. GOOD LUCK! This will make you a stronger person!

Wow! So if you enjoy Jimmy John's you're a hippie?

iiwsuk.jpg
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Meh. I wouldn't. To me it sounds like you're trying to take on too much at once. A lot of people when they first start a healthy lifestyle make the fatal mistake of telling themselves that they are going to cut out all the "bad food", never eat it, work out for an hour a day, etc and give up quickly. Baby steps! I would still allow myself a nibble of bread here and there but maybe switch to having soup or salad for your meal, or the unwich thing somebody mentioned (I'm not that familiar with JJs menu but I'm sure like many restaurants that some options are healthier than others!).

I feel your pain. I work at Applebee's and there are frequently messed up orders or new items we're supposed to try in the back for us to munch on. You know what? I do. Wings are calorific but one is not going to kill me (I do know though that they're 70 cals apiece though!). It's not like I have time to sit back there and eat a whole steak myself, and that would draw ire from my coworkers anyway. When I have a meal I usually make it something off their low cal menu, which is pretty decent. Every once in a while I get a burger or something if I really, really want it. No big deal.

My point is, don't get ahead of yourself and don't make yourself so miserable you throw in the towel after a week. The changes you make need to be sustainable. You're not giving up bread for the rest of your life, are you?
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

How is she torturing herself?? She dosen't want to eat bread.. you act like thats going to kill her.. shes not taking all carbs out.. I've never seen anywhere that states that you have to eat bread to be healthy...

Read the OP again. It sounds like self-torture to me.

So She doesnt want to eat bread drink soda or use mayo... I don't drink soda much anymore maybe once a month if that and that like one 12 oz soda I gave that up like two years ago just stopped doing it... I love weight from not drinking so much sugar... I gave up bread for lent... that was easy.. I cut back my bread intake bout a month ago... I can stop eating it again like its nothing... and as for mayo.. I only keep it in my house for my husband,... I like mustard... no calories.. its not self torture... its a choice... you dont need bread mayo or soda to live... or there would be alot of dead people out there
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options

Omg I love the bread at Jimmy John's, just not the wheat. It's my favorite restaurant, and I work there. Weird, huh?
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options

While I wouldn't refer to it as torture myself, I think maybe they meant randomly "banning" certain foods & beverages from one's diet even though it causes a lot of cravings and self-induced "suffering"...which I guess IS sort of what the OP is doing according to the top post.

Right. Making yourself miserable on purpose, for no good reason, is just being mean to yourself. It's not as bad as "cutting," but it's pretty crazy.

You guys can calm down now. I'm not being crazy, and I'm not torturing myself. It's really not that hard, I just wanted some support. Isn't that the point of MFP? If you're only going to criticize me, then you can leave. I'm not "torturing" myself, so cool it.
  • theanchorholds18
    Options
    I feel you! I work at Subway and i'm trying to give up cookies and cut back on bread! It's hard! I'm looking for some support, too!
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options

Read the OP again. It sounds like self-torture to me.

So She doesnt want to eat bread drink soda or use mayo... I don't drink soda much anymore maybe once a month if that and that like one 12 oz soda I gave that up like two years ago just stopped doing it... I love weight from not drinking so much sugar... I gave up bread for lent... that was easy.. I cut back my bread intake bout a month ago... I can stop eating it again like its nothing... and as for mayo.. I only keep it in my house for my husband,... I like mustard... no calories.. its not self torture... its a choice... you dont need bread mayo or soda to live... or there would be alot of dead people out there

ugh, thank you! I'm really not torturing myself, I could have seemed dramatic in my first post, but good god, people can stop tearing me apart now! I'm not torturing myself, and it really isn't even that hard!
  • ilovepinkchocolate
    Options
    That is awesome!

I have cut out bread and soda 6 days a week and doing well so far!
    And replaced the bread with coconut flour and rice grain flour, while swaping the soda with sparkerling soda and zevia.

Good luck and don't give up!

xoxoxox, pinkchocolate
  • ilovepinkchocolate
    Options
    If you don't start RIGHT now you'll never reach your goal:smile: "

-lol xoxoxo
  • ilovepinkchocolate
    Options
    " The tastiest thing you could ever savor is the taste of your success"

-lol xoxoxo
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    That is awesome!

I have cut out bread and soda 6 days a week and doing well so far!
    And replaced the bread with coconut flour and rice grain flour, while swaping the soda with sparkerling soda and zevia.

Good luck and don't give up!

xoxoxox, pinkchocolate

Thanks!
  • MsKari02
    MsKari02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up bread or anything for that matter. It's all portion control. Stay under that 1200 calories a day and the pounds will come off. You can have what you want, some things just a taste and others more. Just control those calories by portion control.
  • MsKari02
    MsKari02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can have a sub. Just take the soft bread out of the middle after it is sliced. Leave the crust and fill it with veggies and put a little honey mustard on it. Makes like a pocket sandwich. You can have a slice of turkey in there too. Portion control is what it's all about. If you want a treat, and I do from time to time, figure it into your 1200 calories for the day. Skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker with salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning. I put it into 3oz portions in the freezer. I buy the 80 calories buns. With 3 oz of the thigh meat on the 80 calories bun, and the thigh meat is not dry like breast meat is, under 200 calories.
  • ilovepinkchocolate
    Options
    Here's something for all you non dieters and dieters out there! This is from a food expert telling us about what are bread really is. Enjoy !

Years ago,
    when I was still eating bread, I would roam the bread aisle of the super
    market looking for a loaf of whole grain bread that did not have so many additives, preservatives, dough conditioners and other toxic ingredients. Even then, I certainly knew that all the chemicals used in commercial baking were unhealthy for us. Now, with all the traditional wisdom I’ve learned from the Weston Price Foundation, I know that grains can be really toxic when they are not properly prepared by soaking, sprouting and/or sourdough leavening. Now, if I ate bread on a regular basis I would NEVER buy commercially produced bread. I’ll tell you why.
    Up until the 1950s, bread had been made using sourdough leavening as the main technique, which would take up to a day to produce. This amount of time was necessary for the proper conditioning of the dough. With the advent of bakery manufacturing facilities and mass-production of square (condensed) loaves of bread, the production time for bread had to be accelerated. It was discovered that the addition of certain chemicals and enzymes to the bread could shorten the process to two hours instead of the usual 12 to 24 hours.
    Commercial bread manufacturers have no interest in nutrition. If they are using refined white flour it is fortified with synthetic vitamins which are poorly absorbed. If they are using whole grains, the vitamins and minerals are all bound up in the bran where it is unavailable unless it has been properly prepared. The marketing for these products is geared towards sale of the product, not the nutrient content.
    That said, here is the ingredient label for a loaf of commercial bread that is trying to be “healthy”:
    Bread Ingredients. bread additives
    Emulsifiers
    Mono & Di-glycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate (SSL), and Diacetyl Esters of Tartaric Acid (DATEM) are used to keep the dough uniform and strong and the air bubbles open.
    Mono & Di-glycerides are considered softeners because they prevent the starch complexes from firming or going stale.
    SSL and DATEM are dough strengtheners. These two chemicals interact with the proteins and prevent them from collapsing when other ingredients are added to the dough such as raisins, bran or nuts.
    Lecithin aids in the emulsification of the fats in the bread which, in turn, makes a more consistent crumb. It also helps the bread remains softer by retaining more moisture and is a great binding agent. Of course, lecithin is derived from soy, so it is from genetically modified plants.
    Dough Conditioners
    Azodicarbonamide is used in the food industry as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. Azodicarbonamide actually relaxes the dough so that when it is divided in large-scale bakeries under pressure, it still retains a good character. It has been known to cause allergic reactions in those sensitive to other azo compounds, such as food dyes. The consumption of azodicarbonamide may also heighten an allergic reaction to other ingredients in a food. The principal use of azodicarbonamide is in the production of foamed plastics as an additive.
    In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitizer (a possible cause of asthma) and has determined that these products should be labeled with the words “may cause sensitization by inhalation.” Do you really want to eat this?
    It should be mentioned that ascorbic acid is also used as a dough conditioner to strengthen the gluten, but because it tightens the dough, it has a limited use, and is rarely used commercially.
    Bromide is a dough conditioner found in most flours as potassium bromate. It replaced potassium iodate starting in the 1960′s because bakers claim it yields dependable results, and it makes the dough more elastic, which can stand up to bread hooks and other commercial baking tools.
    Bromate is an endocrine disruptor that competes for the same receptors in the thyroid gland as iodine. Constant ingestion of bromate in your daily bread may eventually create a thyroid hormone imbalance because iodine is needed for thyroid hormone production. It is also implicated in many cancers.
    The UK banned bromate in bread in 1990. 
Canada banned bromate in bread in 1994.
    In 1999, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the FDA to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, charging that the FDA had known for years that bromate causes cancer in lab animals. It is still in use today, although some artisan bakeries will use unbromated flour.
    Preservatives
    Calcium propionate is probably the most common preservative in commercial breads. The propionic acid inhibits the growth of molds and other microorganisms. However, there has been some speculation that calcium propionate may induce autistic type actions in rats.
    Propionic acid may appear as cultured wheat starch or cultured whey on a food label.
    Bread Improvers
    The two main reasons for the use of bread improvers are: to help produce gas, and to retain the gas inside the bread. This is done by including enzymes, such as amylases to act on the starch and proteases to act on the gluten. The protease enzyme strengthens the gluten, thereby giving the bread a better structure and retaining more of the gas produced.
    Sourdough fermentation over a 24 hour period naturally produces these enzymes — they do not need to be added. Bread improvers aim to boost the amount of these enzymes artificially, thereby increasing the amount of fermentation early on in the bread production. This eliminates the need for a long fermentation and helps companies produce more in less time.
    Hydrochloride and Sodium metabisulfate are used as gluten softening and clearing agents. Sodium metabisulfate had been singled out as being highly allergenic and is not used as much today.
    Other Additives
    Ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride and phosphates are used to provide nitrogen and/or food for the yeast. Monocalcium phosphate or calcium carbonate are used to compensate for soft water, which may yield soft, sticky dough.
    High fructose corn syrup, or other artificial sweeteners may be part of the bread. The dangers of high fructose corn syrup is a topic for another post.
    As you can see from the ingredient label, even a loaf of whole wheat bread has all kinds of additives: dough conditioners, artificial food for the yeast, and preservatives. In addition, it has soybean oil that is most likely genetically modified as most of the soybean crop in the U.S. is GM.
    What is Missing
    Importantly, with very few exceptions, food companies do not soak, sprout or sour the grains. Therefore the grains in all of these products are not properly prepared and are full of anti-nutrients. So even if it is whole grain — the nutrients are not available as they are bound up.
    Don’t even bother reading bread labels — with very few exceptions, they all have some additives you would not need to use at home. Learn how to make your own bread and you will know that it is done correctly and with the very best ingredients.
    - See more at: http://realfoodforager.com/why-i-never-eat-commercial-bread/#sthash.WHBFSCYb.dpuf
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    You can have a sub. Just take the soft bread out of the middle after it is sliced. Leave the crust and fill it with veggies and put a little honey mustard on it. Makes like a pocket sandwich. You can have a slice of turkey in there too. Portion control is what it's all about. If you want a treat, and I do from time to time, figure it into your 1200 calories for the day. Skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker with salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning. I put it into 3oz portions in the freezer. I buy the 80 calories buns. With 3 oz of the thigh meat on the 80 calories bun, and the thigh meat is not dry like breast meat is, under 200 calories.

You're telling me how to make a sub like I haven't worked at Jimmy John's for almost a year. What you describe is called "gutting" the bread, and we do it on all subs 1-6.
    I know what to eat, I just want to cut out bread.
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    Sweet lord that's a long post. Thanks @ilovechocolate!
This discussion has been closed.