For those of you who have bulked

Options
I need to hear from those of you who have done a cut/bulk phase. I am 6 weeks into my first bulk ever. I made the decision to bulk when I hit a plateau as far as muscle gain is concerned. My newbie gains were great......then nothing. With so much emphasis in he beginning being placed on weight loss, and eating at a deficit, I was afraid to eat at a surplus ( but quickly got over that !) I have days where I feel confident in what I'm doing, and days where I feel like a "fat -*kitten*" even though I'm only gaining just over 1lb per week.
I'd like to know how long you stayed in the bulking phase, and how much total weight you gained. I'm already telling myself that the most I can handle is 5 more lbs, as I am totally aware that I will need to lose the fat afterward. I'm currently doing a 5 day split (which sometimes turns into 6 days) as full body work outs were no longer yielding the same results as they were in the beginning. Any before and after photo's would really be appreciated. I need all the support and encouragement that I can get, THANKS!

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I need to hear from those of you who have done a cut/bulk phase. I am 6 weeks into my first bulk ever. I made the decision to bulk when I hit a plateau as far as muscle gain is concerned. My newbie gains were great......then nothing. With so much emphasis in he beginning being placed on weight loss, and eating at a deficit, I was afraid to eat at a surplus ( but quickly got over that !) I have days where I feel confident in what I'm doing, and days where I feel like a "fat -*kitten*" even though I'm only gaining just over 1lb per week.
    I'd like to know how long you stayed in the bulking phase, and how much total weight you gained. I'm already telling myself that the most I can handle is 5 more lbs, as I am totally aware that I will need to lose the fat afterward. I'm currently doing a 5 day split (which sometimes turns into 6 days) as full body work outs were no longer yielding the same results as they were in the beginning. Any before and after photo's would really be appreciated. I need all the support and encouragement that I can get, THANKS!

I can't handle it either. So I do really short bulks, and on my days off I usually run a deficit. It's slower than regular bulking but I just can't go back to not having abs.
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi,

have you seen this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk

You might also find some support/answers there!

Btw you look awesome!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain will plateau, muscle gain is a very slow process too. If you're really convinced you're on a plateau, try changing your program a little..
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now , i'm on week 3 of a bulk. And i didn't intend for it to be a bulk, but i'm soooo hungry! and i'm most hungry on my recovery days, so i am listening to my body and eating more than i intended and just accepting i'm in a "bulk"
    I dont wanna gain a bunch of fat that i'll have to lose, but i'm going with the program and listening to my body. the program is two sets of 6 weeks and i think we have a week break in the middle , so a total of 13 or 14 weeks so that will be a little over 3 months? I'm gonna continue my bulk through the end of the program and then worry about cutting my calories. I'm not sure if this is the way to do it or not, but it feels right so far. . Losing weight is easy, so i'm not stressing on that too much. I'm gonna go read the links that were posted.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'd consider aiming for a lower rate of gain per week or per month. 1lb/week is quite rapid for a female.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'd consider aiming for a lower rate of gain per week or per month. 1lb/week is quite rapid for a female.
    This. 2 pounds a month would be better.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is generally what a guy would expect. A woman should be about half that.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I went 1lb a week for about 2 1/2 months. I did put on extra fat but that was expected at 1lb weekly and then I've been maintaing my weight ever since. Even though I'm not completely shredded (I'm not dedicated enough for that), I'm very happy with my size. I might consider bulking again at the start of the new year.
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm Thinking about adjusting my calories now. I got the "1 lb per week" idea from several publications I had read which made no distinction between male and female so thank you, for your replies. I'm obviously in desperate need of your knowledge in this area!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just starting my first bulk as well so I can't offer any advice but I'm in for advice from others :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm trying out my first bulk, just a mini one, 4 weeks long...as it's scarey putting on weight lol!

You look amazing, good luck with the bulk, would love to see your results when you're done.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    It is definitely scary putting on weight and losing definition but it will be worth it in the long run. Keep it slow, about 1/2 lb a week for a woman is what you should aim for. One thing that makes the bulk easier is seeing new PR's in all of your lifts so keep lifting hard.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    be meticulous.

'bulking' isn't an excuse to eat more- not is it- well I'm starving so I guess I'm just bulking.

by being meticulous you are taking the guess work out of- you are taking the unknown out of it.

If you are nerdy- take meticulous measurements- it'll help seeing the growth- and help knowing you are on the right track- 1/2 lb a week is a good gain. you can do it!!!
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    I'm about to hit week 8 and I'm up 9 lbs. I increased my cals by 300, cut cardio down drastically and started taking creatine. I think the creatine contributed to the rapid weight gain but man did that stuff help me make gains in the gym! I'm going to cycle it so no more creatine for the rest of my bulk (2 more months). Will continue to monitor the weight gain weekly. Overall I like the way my clothes fit - I look more shapely...Not feeling it so much when I'm naked though - bigger gut!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm about to hit week 8 and I'm up 9 lbs. I increased my cals by 300, cut cardio down drastically and started taking creatine. I think the creatine contributed to the rapid weight gain but man did that stuff help me make gains in the gym! I'm going to cycle it so no more creatine for the rest of my bulk (2 more months). Will continue to monitor the weight gain weekly. Overall I like the way my clothes fit - I look more shapely...Not feeling it so much when I'm naked though - bigger gut!

I just take creatine four times a week. No need for cycling to spare your kidneys. It doesn't puff up your muscles as much, but it can still enhance performance.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Cycling creatine is ridiculous. There's no need. All this "creatine loading phase" and all that is just bull. 5g a day, everyday and you're good to go.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cycling creatine is ridiculous. There's no need. All this "creatine loading phase" and all that is just bull. 5g a day, everyday and you're good to go.

^This
  • scotttweedie
    Options
    its hard work bulking, im opposite im skinny and bulking, have gained 12 kg in a year which although slow has come with alot of strength while regaining flexibility. id suggest go slow and dont get to stressed, its cool if you can do it while getting the benefits of lifting heavy and also being able to have a good cardio blow out a couple of times a week. i found the times i didnt gain weight were the weeks that id constantly stress over stuff that i didnt need to, such as how i looked, what others thought and of course getting drunk as hell and wasting a good sunday workout. youll be sweet as mate.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    be meticulous.

'bulking' isn't an excuse to eat more- not is it- well I'm starving so I guess I'm just bulking.

by being meticulous you are taking the guess work out of- you are taking the unknown out of it.

If you are nerdy- take meticulous measurements- it'll help seeing the growth- and help knowing you are on the right track- 1/2 lb a week is a good gain. you can do it!!!
    Of course its an excuse to eat more but more and as to why anyone would target a weight gain per week when weight gain is not linear and can stall just as when dieting is beyond me.

The idea is to put muscle on and you ll only max that out if you re phsycologically prepared to push hard on a well designed routine, eat what you need to do it and get the rest and sleep necessary to do so and you should be targeting moving up the weight and dumbbell rack to stimulate growth.