40 years of federal nutrition research fatally flawed

Options
Conducted by the CDC and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the NHANES is the primary source of data used by researchers studying the impact of nutrition and diet on health.

These limitations "suggest that the ability to estimate population trends in caloric intake and generate public policy relevant to diet-health relationships is extremely limited," said Archer, who conducted the study with colleagues at the Arnold School.

"The nation's major surveillance tool for studying the relationships between nutrition and health is not valid. It is time to stop spending tens of millions of health research dollars collecting invalid data and find more accurate measures," he said.

http://primaldocs.com/opinion/40-years-nutrition-research-fatally-flawed/

I think it's safe to say that a good majority (not all) of what we're told about nutrition is based on faulty evidence. The question is, what do YOU do about it? My suggestion is to do your own research, and then conduct n=1 experiments, where YOU are the experiment. Also, common sense (while not all that common) comes in handy.

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    what??? no.. just no.. hell to the no..

how dare we say anything about anything that affects us in a way that is contrary to what scientific studies say.

You must be crazy...
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I.... don't find this surprising. People underestimate how many calories they eat a day. Or overestimate how many they burn. Or both. The nutrition research isn't fatally flawed, in my opinion. Most people don't count calories. I know someone who is pretty overweight and who swears up and down that they have never eaten above 2000 calories a day in her life, but has a drink from Starbucks every day that is 500+ calories.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I.... don't find this surprising. People underestimate how many calories they eat a day. Or overestimate how many they burn. Or both. The nutrition research isn't fatally flawed, in my opinion. Most people don't count calories. I know someone who is pretty overweight and who swears up and down that they have never eaten above 2000 calories a day in her life, but has a drink from Starbucks every day that is 500+ calories.

Ha! But I bet it has all kinds of "healthy" buzz words in the title like "skinny"
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    but, but, I eat the grains that are recommended and avoid high fat foods and particularly saturated fats.

I also never eat red meat and a diet extremely low in cholesterol and never more than 125% of my DV of protein.

YOU MEAN I'M NOT DOING ALL I CAN DO TO PROTECT MY HEALTH?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont really listen to the government or media or strangers for what to eat though.

I go by sesame street rules.

I make sure that most of the plate is vegetables and that i get all my vitamins and minerals, and that i have all my food groups and my food is a variety of colors, that sweets and desserts are special and not for all the time or everyday, eat within normal serving sizes, eat when im hungry, eat a good breakfast on days when i have to use my brain a lot, and dont swim on a full stomach.

and Im healthy and fit - so I think it is working.

tumblr_m3g8rjeV5Q1ruikyvo3_250.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    from the article..."2.Just how much sugar and refined carbohydrates are being consumed by people who believe themselves to be health-conscious and making good choices"

< consumes carbohydrate and sugar and has no issues with either....

here we go again ...

Oh, and is it that shocking that Obese people would underreport what they are eating in a blind survey to make themselves appear to be eating healthy? I don't think anyone want to admit that they sit on the couch eating ding dongs and pizza all day....
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    from the article..."2.Just how much sugar and refined carbohydrates are being consumed by people who believe themselves to be health-conscious and making good choices"

here we go again ...

Oh, and is it that shocking that Obese people would underreport what they are eating in a blind survey to make themselves appear to be eating healthy? I don't think anyone want to admit that they sit on the couch eating ding dongs and pizza all day....

Doesn't EVERYONE eat carbohydrate & sugar? It would be difficult to avoid both all together. The quote is about HOW MUCH.

I think the point being made is that a lot of "health" or "diet" food is high in carbs/sugar and doesn't necessarily promote good health. It may not promote bad health, but definitely doesn't promote good health.
  • _noob_
    Options
    considering how many MFP members complain about doing everything right and it still not working, underestimating 25-40% sounds about right
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    considering how many MFP members complain about doing everything right and it still not working, underestimating 25-40% sounds about right

^^^ Completely agree.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Then how comes that it's worked for so many people, if we're all underestimating our calorie intake by 25-40%?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    in for writing random articles about how data on hundreds of thousands people and multiple decades is flawed research
  • SnicciFit
    Options

Then how comes that it's worked for so many people, if we're all underestimating our calorie intake by 25-40%?

Honestly, for me, it wasn't about calories. It was macros and food quality.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Conducted by the CDC and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the NHANES is the primary source of data used by researchers studying the impact of nutrition and diet on health.

These limitations "suggest that the ability to estimate population trends in caloric intake and generate public policy relevant to diet-health relationships is extremely limited," said Archer, who conducted the study with colleagues at the Arnold School.

"The nation's major surveillance tool for studying the relationships between nutrition and health is not valid. It is time to stop spending tens of millions of health research dollars collecting invalid data and find more accurate measures," he said.

L
    http://primaldocs.com/opinion/40-years-nutrition-research-fatally-flawed/

I think it's safe to say that a good majority (not all) of what we're told about nutrition is based on faulty evidence. The question is, what do YOU do about it? My suggestion is to do your own research, and then conduct n=1 experiments, where YOU are the experiment. Also, common sense (while not all that common) comes in handy.

Perfect.
  • _noob_
    Options

averages...some eat so little overestimating 25% still puts them in a deficit. And weight is more than just bodyfat...especially early in your journey
  • ndj1979
    Options

here we go again ...

Doesn't EVERYONE eat carbohydrate & sugar? It would be difficult to avoid both all together. The quote is about HOW MUCH.

I think the point being made is that a lot of "health" or "diet" food is high in carbs/sugar and doesn't necessarily promote good health. It may not promote bad health, but definitely doesn't promote good health.

I took it to read that if you were consuming sugar and carbs that this was not "healthy"...when in fact a diet of moderate carbs is needed for an active lifestyle...but perhaps, I read too much into it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

averages...some eat so little overestimating 25% still puts them in a deficit. And weight is more than just bodyfat...especially early in your journey

^5 for using the word journey
  • ndj1979
    Options

Honestly, for me, it wasn't about calories. It was macros and food quality.

so you can eat more calories than you burn, have great macros and food quality, and still lose weight??
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I may be rather sleep deprived yet I'm still baffled.

How is the science flawed? Exactly how a misreported calorie intake remotely has anything to do with thermogenesis?

Your NHANES sounds like a nation-wide Family Feud, nothing but a big survey. A survey that no one cared enough to do the math and crosscheck until now. Must be a big relief that the real science revolves around lab reports and cross-disciplinary knowledge rather than hearsay.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Only proves that a lot of people lie about what and how much they eat. Under-reporting is a problem even with trained people.

I think there are flaws in things like the food pyramid and the RDA's but this article does not seem to address those specifically.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yes, NHanes is ridiculous . But they make it easy to see how research in weight is so wrong.