Ladies - High Heels?

Options
My wife wants to lose weight and exercise more and one of the goals she stated is that she wished she could wear high heels.

She has had surgeries basically reconstructing the hard parts of both knees. She has never done any significant leg exercises and her knees cannot take the pressures that come from heels.

Is this something that she might realistically be able to do if she were to start working out and can you suggest some exercises I might guide her to? My inclination is squats and deadlifts, but someone who has walked the walk might have better ideas.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    based on her medical history this is a question best directed to a physical therapist with first hand knowledge of your wife's condition
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    based on her medical history this is a question best directed to a physical therapist with first hand knowledge of your wife's condition

Absolutely.

On a purely anecdotal basis, I've lost 51 pounds and am in much better shape than I was 6 months ago, but I still can't really wear heels without my feet and knees hurting. My legs and feet are much happier in flats, and I'm fine with that. I would much rather have my feet carry me happily, mostly, on a 5+ mile run than around the office in heels. :smile:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, wish I knew what to say. I have some pretty significant problems with my feet. Add to that my weight and my natural proclivity toward comfort and I just have no useful knowledge or experience in connection with this topic.

I do think it's great that you're supporting your wife in her goals, though. Maybe her doctor would have more detailed information about her specific condition(s) that would lend itself to greater success in this area?

I hope she is able to see some progress and I'm sure she appreciates your encouragement.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a dancer and due to my issues with my feet/knees (it's a long story) and wanting to be healthy, I very rarely wear heels. I mostly wear good hiking sneakers. And I have a pair of black wedge shoes for dressy occasions. I guess I'm not really into shoes. My feet are very small, so I can only find my size at payless (the selection is not interesting to me). Maybe I'll try wearing heels again sometime for fun now and then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    doctor first.

then realize that heel wearing isn't for hours and hours. most women are comfortable around 2-3 inches.

There are also some fabulous stretches for heels and making sure you keep stretched out.

Also- heel wearing is NEVER truly 'comfortable' even my most comfortable heels I know are damaging and are not 'good' for me and after a while- they hurt too. ... limit heel wearing- I wear mine to work- but I wear platform wedges to reduce wear and tear. I save my sexy stiletto's for dinner dates. they are too much for 9 hours a day.

And give her foot massages- fabulous. ;)
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    She's not talking about wearing them all the time. We live in Florida so live in flip flops. She just wants to be able to wear them when we dress up and go out to events or dinner.