Need help with healthy(er)snack and nutrition suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am semi new to trying to eat healthier. I have tried before it just has never really stuck.

So, here is what I am looking for:

1.) I need some suggestions on snack replacements. These suggestions cannot break the bank and need to be things that are readily available at grocery stores. Like, I have this thing for chips and french onion dip. So, as a replacement for that, I have come up with apples and peanut butter or trail mix. That is all I have so far.
    Carrots (or other veggie) and hummus, nut thins, yogurt mixed with jam and fruit (or dip the fruit in) almonds, PB on celery, hard boiled eggs mixed with avocado and spinach, deviled eggs, avocado with salt, homemade chips (slice potato real thin, spray with pam, bake until crispy) with salsa. Quesadillas (tortilla, cheese, microwave), turkey roll ups *(tortilla, turkey (or ham, or chicken etc) spinach, cheese) microwave, string cheese, in a pinch i'll eat popped.. if i'm really carving the crunch.. high percent dark chocolate squares.

2.) I cannot just throw a whole new way of eating into my diet. I will get overwhelmed, stressed, then quit. Its happened before. I am looking for a few tweaks to my current diet so I can shave off some calories and heart disease. I am not looking for whole meals either. I am looking to cook for my husband and daughter(who were both blessed with a metabolism through the roof) then tweak it to fit my needs. Any replacements for coffee mate creamer (not milk)

drink it black.. or use sugar free torani. (sp?) or unsweetened almond milk.
    3.) I have been told my plate should be 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starches. Can I cut out the starches in my meals (3/4 veggies and 1/4 protein) so I can consume calories in other areas?
    It is better to eat more veggies, but how much in on your plate doesn't make it a good diet. count calories, get in a deficit and adjust as you go to fit your body and what it needs.
    4.) When I cut calories from my diet to create a caloric deficit should I be hungry? Will I get used to the hunger or not be so hungry all the time?
    no! If you are hungry you're not eating enough! Adjust what you are eating so you are not hungry and still stay in deficit. This will take some trial and error.
    5.) What worked for you in your diet?
    Eating healthy foods that I make myself, exercising daily and staying in a calorie deficit. I also watch the sugar and salt. Because we don't like each other.