Soda Rehab

afat12
afat12 Posts: 178 Member
I need help please!!

I'm an ex-sodaholic. I am used to drinking a regular soda every afternoon. I refuse to do diet soda because of the chemicals but every day I'm having an afternoon slump where I'm craving a soda.

Does anyone have any advice??

Replies

• Try tea? Its super low in calories and quite sweet. You can also use stevia to sweeten it, it has zero calories and works great :)
  • I swopped out soda for fruit flavoured sparkling water... might be worth a try?
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    I've had similar problems with soda then just decided to stop drinking it and drink water instead last month and so far so good. My advice, get something tasty to drink if you need it. (I like Crystal Light.) Just don't think about it, don't focus on the lack of soda, focus on the positive things instead. And think of all the things its doing for your health.Avoid it for awhile. It'll do your body a lot of good!
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Peanut butter does the trick for me. Kinda high in cals, but when I need it, it always comes through for me and gives me the energy I need to finish my work day as well as keep me awake for a work out.

I keep a very large jar of it at my desk and a spoon close by :love:
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    ... every afternoon.

What i found is that it wan't really about the soda. I was using getting an excuse to step away from work, or as a little 'pick me up', or as a reward (for just making it through the day so far), or just taking a regular break with good coworkers. I was my daily ritual.

I did not realize this at first myself. I was talking to a friend who was giving up smoking and he was saying the hardest part was the 1) ritual of smoking and 2) the breaks. At his work place only smokers got to step away from their job (I realized that was the same for soda drinkers where i worked). Non-smokers did not have that excuse and had to work straight on. So he finally coped by quit smoking... but still going out for those 'smoke breaks'.

48403347.png
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Crystal light energy (with B vitamins) added to club soda or sparkling water. :)
  • shadowgem13
    shadowgem13 Posts: 29 Member
    I tried crystal light and tea, but sometimes that just didn't cut it. Someone got me a soda streamer and i basically carbonate the crystal light. Don't know why but when I get a craving that helps, I can pretend that it is soda, because it is, kind of ;).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Can't help you. I love me some Diet Mt. Dew.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    An afternoon slump? What are you craving exactly? Try the zero-calorie water enhancers. You don't want to try diet soda bc of the chemicals? Just think about what you're doing to your body and teeth by drinking soda. Can't believe that *I* just said that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    I need help please!!

I'm an ex-sodaholic. I am used to drinking a regular soda every afternoon. I refuse to do diet soda because of the chemicals but every day I'm having an afternoon slump where I'm craving a soda.

Lol, you do realize that anything you drink is chemically bonded? Diet soda is fine in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I need help please!!

Lol, you do realize that anything you drink is chemically bonded? Diet soda is fine in moderation.

IDEA Fitness member

a2edeb32.gif
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Once in awhile I drink a "Cascade Ice" for the bubbles. Most of the time I have plain water, or add some Crystal Light or similar flavoring. But once in blue moon, I like to have something carbonated!

http://www.cascadeicewater.com/
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Serious question here... Why is soda "bad" but crystal light is "ok"?
  • I have a soda stream, it makes salt free, sugar free, bubbly water that I can add my own flavours too. You can take a bottle to work with you, it will stay bubbly for at least 6 hours (may be longer, but that is the longest I have personally left it).

I've used fruit juice, concentrated tea and honey, and a few all natural syrups I found. There is no need to use the soda stream brand syrups.
  • Yeah I'm not really down with Crystal Light or soda. (Actually, I LOVE a good Root Beer or Coke occasionally) but most people drink Crystal Light because it's low or no cal but it's still artificial.

My fav soda swaps are La Croix (can usually find at Target) sparkling water and the best of the best- Topo Chico Mineral Water. It's super fizzy, I love it!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member

I happen to have some Crystal Light Cherry Pomegranate on my desk:

5 calories
    0 fat
    10mg sodium
    0 sugar
    <1g carbs

Compared to a regular Coke, which has:
    182 calories
    44g of sugar!!!
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member

I happen to have some Crystal Light Cherry Pomegranate on my desk:

5 calories
    0 fat
    10mg sodium
    0 sugar
    <1g carbs

Compared to a regular Coke, which has:
    182 calories
    44g of sugar!!!

I was speaking more along the lines of their ingredients. The only reason crystal light has 0 sugar is because crystal light uses artificial sweeteners. I don't care one way or another, but if coke and diet coke are poison shouldn't crystal light be just as evil?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Lol, because of the toxinz.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Grab yourself a soda stream, carbonate 'healthy' drinks to your hearts content and hopefully you will get the same buzz. I know people who swear by soda water, saying the bubbles is what they miss. If it is a sweet suger rush you are craving maybe try a flavoured tea?
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Club soda, lemon juice and a tsp of sugar. Works for me! Other than that, I recommend flavored seltzer.