Holiday help?

Options
NikMar
NikMar Posts: 1,071 Member
Hi, I'm new here and no doubt someone already knows the answer. I'm off on a city break to Brussels later this week, and I'm concerned that my initial efforts will be undone due to not logging my food and exercise and keeping track of things for a few days. Any suggestions how not to ruin my good start? Or should I succumb to the Belgian chocolates (and beer!) and start again on my return? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks! :frown:

Replies

• katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You don't need to pick one or the other. Enjoy your trip -- have things in moderation. Write down what you eat in a food journal (on hand), and you can post it when you come back. You can keep track of things without the site, and I have faith that you're not going to sabotage yourself by living your life. Pay attention, and trust yourself. You'll be fine. =)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 holidays in the last few months . . . and it is all about choices . . . you can either have a ton of beer or just a few . . . you can either eat chocolate for dinner or opt for a chicken breast and salad. You can certainly minimize the "damage" by making smart choices and still have a great holiday.
    My husband and I took fruit and cereal (some plastic bowls and spoons in our luggage too) for breakfast in our hotel room, visited a grocery store for some fresh buns, meats, and cheese or a bagged salad for lunch, then just had one meal per day in a restaurant. I didn't gain at all on the trip even though I had a few beer everyday. We made sure to go for long walks each day and took the stairs all the time . . . every little "good" choice helps.
    I didn't have acess to log into MFP one one of our trips but just made wise and healthy decisions.

I am not on a diet, I am changing my life to incorporate healthy choices from now on, even when on holidays.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like katm427's advice. You have a general idea of what to eat and what not to eat. But if you write it down, it's REAL. If you don't, you can forget things and then wonder why you gained weight when you return. I find it much easier to lie to myself if I don't write it down somewhere.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    Oh how I love the food in Brussels!!! Incredible food! I would absolutely eat anything I wanted while there, but I would try not to eat too much of the chocolates or the beer. Maybe plan to have one chocolate each day and then bring a box home to have one a day at home for a while.

I would also eat LOTS of mussels (protein!!!) while there, but make sure they're not in a creamy sauce. I would also have some of those fries with samurai sauce!!! Those are the best fries I have ever had!!! I would close my eyes and savor every delicious bite I took there, but I would really try to eat things in moderation and I would really pay attention to my hunger and stop eating when I no longer felt hungry.

Have fun and seriously enjoy! I wish I was there right now!!!