Obsessed with the Scale

Options
Anytime I get back on the wagon and start eating the way I know I should and going to the gym consistently I find myself obsessed with weighing myself. I'm not talking multiple times a day or anything but every single morning. Wake up and the first thing I do is weigh myself. I know that you are supposed to try to wait a week in between weigh ins but I just can't do it. I had to leave my scale at my mother's until Thursday... does anyone else have this problem or am I a complete whack job?

When I work out consistently and eat right -- like I have been -- I lose weight relatively easy and so I enjoy seeing the small weight loss everyday, even if it is only 0.4 pounds.

Replies

• ArielWillowtree
    Options
    same here. I don't think its that bad of a habit; keeps me on track I guess.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    lots of people weigh daily. I think it's only a problem if it starts affecting you negatively, so you'll have to be the judge of that!
  • RaeRaeThePandaBear
    Options
    I'm the same, perhaps worst. I tend to weigh twice a day. Once in the morning and right after work.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and night, I usually weight slightly more at night (which is expected and learnt to live with), I highly recommend dieters weight themselves everyday, that way your less likely to gain weight, and eliminates serious disappointment if you were a weekly weighter and results are far from you expected.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, to know how my food is effecting my body. Like when I eat red meat I will gain 2lbs the next day. It makes me bloated and retain water. But when I eat all veggies and salmon and weight myself the next day I have lost 1lb. So it keeps me positive either way. If its up I just shrug it off and work hard on my work out.
  • vjwilhite
    vjwilhite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I start getting too obsessed with the scale, I will drink a big glass of water as soon as I get up. That way I won't want to weigh and see the additional water weight I just drank! It helps me on those days I know I don't want to worry about the number.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with that - it is a good habit.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Eh, I do it daily. It's just data.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Since when is daily weighing a symptom of being a whackjob?:huh:
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you think it's affecting you negatively, take a week-long break from it! Or throw it out entirely and start judging by measurements, or how your clothes fit.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because it keeps me focused. It works for me but not for everyone.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily, as long as you do it only in the morning and only once.
    Also if you can keep yourself from freaking out over sudden minor gains from things like water weight.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh when I wake up, when I get home from work, and right before bed. That's a lot less than I used to weigh myself - I was getting ridiculous with the scale and realized I needed to back off a bit. I only log my weight on Wednesday mornings though - that's my "official" weigh-in day.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily, as long as you do it only in the morning and only once.
    Also if you can keep yourself from freaking out over sudden minor gains from things like water weight.

Why is weighing yourself more than once a day wrong?
  • darksomebelle
    darksomebelle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well. It helps me understand the fluctuations and the bigger picture.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects me in a negative way at all... if anything, I find it motivating that I've either maintained or lost.

I guess I started questioning whether or not it was a good idea to weigh myself daily because one of the trainers at my gym told me to only weigh myself once a month -- which I thought was insane.

Thank you for all your responses! Always nice to know others feel the same way I do :)
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every morning. Actually, I wake up at 5-6AM, take the dogs out, weigh myself, go back to bed, wake up around 8-9AM (if possible) then weigh myself one last time before eating breakfast. While family and close friends disapprove of my morning weigh-ins every day, it works for me and lets me know that I'm going in the right direction. Even if I gain a few pounds from a cheat day, I know I'll lose it. :D

Also trying to stop logging my weigh-ins every morning on MFP, I'm going to try once a week... maybe.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before I work out. It helps provide the motivation...yeah, I lost .4 or opps, gained .2 I do log each loss on MFP each day there is one, but I don't log the slight gains. It may annoy my MFP friends, but this is solely for me and tracking my progress.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options
    When I start getting too obsessed with the scale, I will drink a big glass of water as soon as I get up. That way I won't want to weigh and see the additional water weight I just drank! It helps me on those days I know I don't want to worry about the number.

This is a good idea! Am going to try this. I sometimes develop the daily weigh habit too, don't think its too bad unless I then take it too the next level of trying to predict how much weight I should be losing per week/day and then get frustrated if I don't. Very much trying to avoid going back to that. Doesn't help that my weight fluctuates a lot in general, even if weigh at same time of the day.