Healthy thanksgiving recipes?

Options
killer_cupcake
killer_cupcake Posts: 45 Member
This year we want to do it healthy! I need recipes & good ones!

Replies

• rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually do a sweet and spicy carrot and parsnip dish. If you peel the carrots and parsnips and then slice them into 1/4 rounds and toss them in a saute pan with 2 TBS of maple syrup, a TSP of olive oil, and some cayenne pepper and cook over a medium low heat until soft they are delicious. Carrots and parsnips have a lot of naturally occurring sugar so you don't have to add much to make them delicious. You can also substitute in a lot of different things for the cayenne, like cinnamon or or a touch of ground mustard seed.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Roasted herbed turkey breast
    A variety of roasted root vegetables (or whatever mix pleases you) with onion, garlic, and olive oil
    Baked butternut squash
    Green salad
    Mashed potato and cauliflower mix (1 part potato to 2 parts cauliflower)

Here is a recipe for a little lighter version of pumpkin pie:

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-pumpkin-pie-with-graham-cracker-crust-400915 (It's only 172 calories for 1/8 of the pie - you could make it crustless and keep it even lighter)

Or anything made with THIS:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/pumpkin-butter.html (just Google 'desserts using pumpkin butter' or something along that line)

No one is perfect, so you can always top things off with a slightly lower-cal version of:
    Hot Buttered Rum -
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/hot-buttered-rum.html
    ~or~
    Silk Irish Coffee -
    http://www.doctoroz.com/sponsor-videos/silk-irish-coffee

I'll probably just stick to Whiskey, but hey, you asked for recipes and I don't have a whiskey recipe. lol
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    this 1 is healthy and 1 my entire family now prefers over sweet potato casserole:

and that is...just a baked sweet potato. The 'secret' is baking @ 250 degrees for about 3 hours. The inside gets velvety smooth. I top mine with salt, pepper, and butter. I don't consider butter to be unhealthy unless the portion is too large.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This sounds lovely. I cannot wait to try it! I will prob include onion and garlic too.
    I usually do a sweet and spicy carrot and parsnip dish. If you peel the carrots and parsnips and then slice them into 1/4 rounds and toss them in a saute pan with 2 TBS of maple syrup, a TSP of olive oil, and some cayenne pepper and cook over a medium low heat until soft they are delicious. Carrots and parsnips have a lot of naturally occurring sugar so you don't have to add much to make them delicious. You can also substitute in a lot of different things for the cayenne, like cinnamon or or a touch of ground mustard seed.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    this 1 is healthy and 1 my entire family now prefers over sweet potato casserole:

and that is...just a baked sweet potato. The 'secret' is baking @ 250 degrees for about 3 hours. The inside gets velvety smooth. I top mine with salt, pepper, and butter. I don't consider butter to be unhealthy unless the portion is too large.

I love them, too! They are also really good roasted. :)
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Buffedncut
    Options
    take a doctor prescribed sleeping pill. THERE ARE NO HEALTHY RECIPES FOR TURKEY DAY
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an excellent alternative to pumpkin pie. Bonus: the whole pie has less cals than one slice of traditional pumpkin pie. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/08/crustless-pumpkin-pie/
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Enjoy all the foodz.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    At Canadian thanksgiving, I had two helpings of everything, had a slice of pie, and some apple crumble. Didn't record a thing, and *gasp* didn't gain a thing.

Enjoy it, it's one day! Save your healthy recipes for doing something with the leftovers.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat healthy before Thanksgiving =)
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    bump for good recipes NOT JUST AT THANKSGIVING
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love to roast carrots, leaks, and garlic together with a bit of EVOO.

Instead of green bean casserole I buy the french skinny beans, cook them (I use the microwave) and add them to a huge pile of caramelized onion, portabella mushrooms, to which I have added a couple of slices of bacon (already cooked kind, less fat cal).

Rutabegas. Mashed. OMG - good.
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Enjoy all the foodz.

^^This!^^ :D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well ... you can make most of the traditional foods tasty without adding too many extra calories. But don't leave out the yummy stuff. it's Thanksgiving. It's the one and only holiday that is really all about the food (it celebrates the harvest).

Just eat a little less and maybe get a workout in.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    NO.

I :heart: this response.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All the harvest vegetables are so yummy without all the added extra cals. I like roasting beets, sweet potatoes, etc with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and balsamic. Also, we made a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey this year and everyone loved it. Even those who are not watching cals.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Roasted root vegetables (peel them, cut them into 1-2" chunks, toss in 2 T olive oil and some salt and pepper, roast at 375 for 20 minutes)
    Baked potatoes instead of mashed
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Wild rice salad (google Ruthefords wild rice salad recipe - omg! GOOD)
    Kale salad w/ dried cranberries and walnuts (cut the kale up into bite size pieces, toss with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts or pecans, shave in some parmesan cheese and toss with a little olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste)
    Pumpkin or butternut squash soup - google for recipes
    For me there's no substitute for pumpkin pie but you could do pumpkin bars instead where the filling is less per serving so you still get the taste but for less calories.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    good luck on Turkey day, again, its one day........maybe mix healthy with a little unhealthy..........