HELP!!!!!! STARVE OR EAT???

HI! I had a LOOOOONG day at work! Didin't get home until 930! Um, I only ate about half my cals for today! What's better? Don't finish eating cuz it's too late and will throw me into starvation mode, or go ahead n eat just don't be an idiot about it? I had a stellar first week n don't want to blow it? I'm pretty sure y'all are gonna say eat dumdum but if that's your answer, be prepared to male suggestions! I also have to stay up and finish a research project for online college. Any firsthand advice on how long before bedtime to NOT eat to avoid screwing up diet success?:huh:

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    No worries. :flowerforyou: You won't go into starvation mode undereating for one day, nor does it matter what time of day you eat the calories. Eat if you're hungry or save the calories for a nice cheat meal later in the week.:drinker: I take things week by week instead of day by day, makes it easier.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    If you're hungry, go eat your dinner and make it good.

If you're not hungry, don't eat and don't worry about it. It's just one day.

I personally can't eat really late no matter what I do.
  • When I was in the Navy, and did not have time to eat, I would drink a lot of water to fill my stomach before catching some shut eye.
    water also worked when I was rodeoing and could not afford to eat due to being thrown off at the last show.
  • I would suggest something light, egg white omelette with Vegis, or Greek yogurt with fruit- protein and fiber, and light on the cals.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    When I was in the Navy, and did not have time to eat, I would drink a lot of water to fill my stomach before catching some shut eye.
    water also worked when I was rodeoing and could not afford to eat due to being thrown off at the last show.

If I did that I would get up literally every hour to pee.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. If it were me, I'd eat, especially if you're hungry and going to be up for awhile anyway. Your body needs the fuel no matter what. Why starve?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...Any firsthand advice on how long before bedtime to NOT eat to avoid screwing up diet success?:huh:

Yeah, I eat until I run out of calories or fall asleep. Don't know why you would starve yourself, especially since you're up late working on school. You've got plenty of time to have a sandwich or something...:flowerforyou:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    No worries. :flowerforyou: You won't go into starvation mode undereating for one day, nor does it matter what time of day you eat the calories. Eat if you're hungry or save the calories...

Yup
  • cindyhanson58
    cindyhanson58 Posts: 11 Member
    I prefer to eat something light, have the same issue... but my trainer says to do otherwise. all the above advice has merit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    You say you still have to stay up and work on a college project, so I would advise you stop stressing about whether to eat and what to eat. If you have half your calories left for the day, you can certainly afford to eat something if you're hungry or feel like you need something to get you through working on your project. I suggest something quick with minimum prep time. If it were me, I'd have a piece of whole-grain toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple, or some leftovers from the fridge that I could zap in the microwave.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    One day won't blow it. If you are hungry, eat. If you don't feel like eating, don't. Just make sure you are on track tomorrow
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for the advice! I guess I knew what the answer was, just wanted input from outside the fishbowl! LOL I did go with the omelet idea, figured protein's never a bad choice! Now...where's the stinkin' project? LOL
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    When I was in the Navy, and did not have time to eat, I would drink a lot of water to fill my stomach before catching some shut eye.

If I did that I would get up literally every hour to pee.

:blushing: DITTO!!! :blushing:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Rollover calories!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Not eating for one day won't put you in starvation mode and eating after a certain time won't make you gain fat. Calories can't tell time. Just eat whatever you would normally eat and don't over complicate things!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    That starvation mode.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Silly question. EAT.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Glad you got something to eat. Personally I don't sleep if I go to bed hungry. Although meal timing doesn't matter to weight loss, personally I would have just had something light as I get indigestion going to bed straight after eating anything heavy.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    HI! I had a LOOOOONG day at work! Didin't get home until 930! Um, I only ate about half my cals for today! What's better? Don't finish eating cuz it's too late and will throw me into starvation mode, or go ahead n eat just don't be an idiot about it? I had a stellar first week n don't want to blow it? I'm pretty sure y'all are gonna say eat dumdum but if that's your answer, be prepared to male suggestions! I also have to stay up and finish a research project for online college. Any firsthand advice on how long before bedtime to NOT eat to avoid screwing up diet success?:huh:

Eating before bedtime being problematic is a myth. Eat your calories.