Swollen Hands When Exercising

I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. Or if its something I'm doing when exercising or something I'm eating maybe. When I walk run jog.. Or lift weights my hands swell up really bad. When I'm walking running or jogging I have to hold my hands up by my shoulder to get some relief. But then my elbows start to swell and hurt. After my workouts i have to put my hands in ice because the swelling is so bad. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any advice?

Replies

• PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    That sounds like it could be a circulation issue, the only way you can know for sure is to go see a doctor, which is probably your best bet.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    My hands swell during workouts (lifting and/or running). I can't wear rings because they get painfully tight,and I won't be able to remove them. It even makes bending my fingers feel stiff and strange. Apparently, it's normal and pretty common. I was told not to worry. I would like to know how to reduce it though. If your hands are in pain, turning blue, or anything else that seems really out of the ordinary, I would definitely speak with a doctor. (obviously) :smile:
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    I read a fair bit about this, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer anywhere, other than it happens to some people and not to others and mostly they don't know why.

It happens to people who are fit, who are unfit, who are overweight, who are not overweight... blah blah... And some things help some people and don't help others.

I did notice that one morning when I was on a walk/run one of sleeves was hanging over my hand and the other was pushed up slightly by my phone armband and the one that was uncovered was more swollen (significant difference) than the other. At the time I thought it was because that hand was not warm enough, but it could also now have been the armband interfering with things.

Other than feeling and looking weird mine never hurt.
  • Swelling is caused mostly due to gravity.

We all know when we work you your blood begins to flow bringing much need oxygen to your muscles. Many times when walking/jogging our arms are down at our sides sometimes for up to an hour. Now thinking throughout your day, when else are your arms just "hanging" at your sides? Usually you are always doing something to move your arms and hands usually around chest level. Working at a desk, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. When walking/jogging the gravity will pull the blood down your arms and into your hands. More blood = expanded blood vessels = swelling or puffiness.

Pay attention the next time you walk/jog, where you arms/hands naturally fall. Most likely below your waist.

To reduce this move your arms when walking / jogging. You do not have to hold them up at a 90 degree angle for the entire workout just every 10 min or so shake your arms out for 10-15 sec to allow the blood to move around.

Hope this helps!