You might think I'm crazy, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Options
feelin_gr_8
feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
I'm feeling adventurous after my husband picked up a chestnut on his way home from school today-they have chestnuts trees all over campus. Would it be completely weird to have him pick some and cook them? It's not like going into a neighbor's garden and just having at their goods...but I'm wondering what you would think if you saw someone doing that?

Replies

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see anything wrong with this, but you could always ask permission from whoever is in charge at the school just to make sure.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Be a wild child and go steal it after midnight and run away when you see security!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ha! My parents did that when they came to visit my college years ago. Dad collected a few and cooked them when we got home. They tasted terrible! Not really sure why.
  • blueuniverse
    blueuniverse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Might as well, if they're that abundant then better to not let a few good nuts go to waste. Where I live there are lots of wild blackberry bushes and folks are out there picking them all the time when they're in season. I don't see how this would be much different...what is the best way to prepare a chestnut anyway?
  • feelin_gr_8
    Options
    I've never cooked with chestnut so I'm looking around at techniques and recipes online ;)
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem - just make sure they are eating chestnuts and not conker ones! There are two types of chestnut, one you can eat and the other, well, you can't!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My grandfather would collect them from his tree and use them as "smoke" in the barbecue. Made great tasting meat.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    There are edible chestnuts and "horse chestnuts" or conkers that are inedible. Make sure you have the edible ones, as a previous poster mentioned.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think twice if I saw this happening. No that's not true, I'd be jealous that I didn't think of it first!

Cut a small x in the bottom with a sharp knife. Put them in a metal dish...think pie plate or old-fashioned pop-corn pan and roast them in the fireplace directly on the fire. Shake them frequently until they are a bit dark and giving off a lovely aroma. Let them cool, then peel and eat. So delicious! I'm sure there are many recipes calling for roasted chestnuts. But we just eat them straight! Enjoy!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This could be very dangerous. Have you not seen Wizard of Oz? You could be pelted with chestnuts! But seriously, I wouldn't see a problem with picking a few.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't see any issues with that, Love Love Love roasted chestnuts I could eat them all day lol. Just make sure you've got the right type of nuts as others have said. Unfortunately all the chestnut trees around here are the wrong sort :grumble:
  • feelin_gr_8
    Options
    I didn't know there was a dud variety, how do you know you've got the edible kind?

Edit: Just researched and asked the hubby...looks like none of them are the edible kind :( So I guess I WOULD be crazy to have him pick me a bag full of poisonous nuts! lol. Glad I asked...I didn't know there was a difference and the websites I had looked at didn't inform me of that. Thanks MFP folks!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Intrigued by this post. I've never tried chestnuts.
  • smillett1984
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8639831_identify-edible-chestnuts.html

Here is a link on how to identify edible chestnuts.
  • stlbluefansarah
    stlbluefansarah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They might actually be happy that you picked them, because it's fewer on the ground that they'll have to deal with later.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am sure they won't mind if you take them, you are doing them a favor cause they will have to rake them up anyway. Take some home cut an X on the top put a litter butter on top and bake at 325 for about 18 minutes-YUM!