How do I calculate calories burnt when lifting weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Pause the HRM if rests exceed 30 seconds and start back up when beginning new set.

But everyone should remember that weight lifting is better for that utilitarian weight loss: more muscle equals more daily caloric consumption.

Sure you can burn more faster doing cardio, but the drop off is faster if you start slacking whereas all that hard work from weight lifting will continue to support your body.

No, that's not right.

It might work for some people but it's coincidental.

Just lift and give yourself 300 extra cals per hour of serious work. If you start losing too fast or not recovering well (don't overtrain!), eat more.

I have been tweaking my tracking to follow the lean gains method (not sure if it works yet). So I'm set to a 250 deficit. On lifting days I give myself 250 extra cals to maintain, 250 extra cals for a small surplus, and 400 cals for the workout, which is why people on my friend list will see 900 calorie "burns".
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't understand why the HRM would be wrong? If your heart rate spikes when you lift then you are burning more calories because you are working hard, your muscles are engaged and your respiration increases. Those can't happen independent of you burning more calories (can they?). If during your 2/3min rest period it reduces, then you burn less calories at that point, so overall the spikes and dips even out into an accurate burn indicator.

Don't they?

No. They don't.

It's very complicated. But, the algorithms are set to calculate steady state cardio, not spikes up and down. You can google it. There are many article written about it.

For the OPs benefit, I've been all over the map on this. I finally decided to stop
    Logging exercise and just set my calories constant so I reach my goals. I am so much happier. I don't have to screw around with HRMs or think, "oh no, I just played volleyball, how many calories did I burn?" I just live, eat, and move. It's a much better approach, IMO.

I am now a proponent of simply monitoring your results via various periodic measurements.

Brilliant. Not turning a healthy way of life into a fetish is so....healthy.