Exercise "hangover"???

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Finished my cardio workout toay (treadmill warm up, elliptical, bike and swimming, 75 minutes total), and it's one of my routine workouts.

I feel so yukky! Maybe the heat is affecting me a little bit, even though I wasn't out in it much, so I don't know....

I have a headache and feel like I'm getting a COLD. Does this happen to anyone else after a workout? Man, I hope I'm not getting a cold!! I don't do 'sick' very well, let alone working out while feeling poorly.

Had a regular lunch with good protein, drank plenty of SmartWater (electrolytes included) and some Gatorade G2 low cal grape. Ate a special K protein bar a bit ago, to make sure it wasn't a blood sugar thing...

Hope someone says that this is normal. ;)

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Some days I get this. I wonder if I ate enough befor the work out. Could it be a blood sugar thing? Some rest, some orange juice and a small snack should help after a short while if it is blood sugar. Hope it's not a cold.
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Maybe you're overtired! I mean you have been working very hard over a sustained time. Is your body telling you it needs a rest day? :tongue: Hang in there and feel better! Cheryl
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    I get like that too. I wonder if it's my meds or the heat.
    i would be interested to see what people have to say.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    I get like that too. I wonder if it's my meds or the heat.
    i would be interested to see what people have to say.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Some days I get this, some days I don't. Most times I have the endorphine high, which is great! But, in the last 2 weeks, I either feel that exercise high followed by a crash or a low. I thought it was just me. It has been really hot and humid here, so I thought it might be that.

Also, I get migraines (hormonal). I never had exercise induced migraines (some people get them), but lately in my circuit training class I have been getting the auras (sparkly stars) in the middle of class, and a migraine a bit later. I don't know why this is coming out now.

I know you had mentioned before needing B12 shots. Given that we are dieting, exercising, the heat, humidity, etc. could it be possible your counts are off?
  • MrsVerhaeghe
    MrsVerhaeghe Posts: 46 Member
    I get like this too sometimes. Mostly when I ate before hand.
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    I was thinking of posting something similar. Today is the first time it's happened to me. I didn't do any sort of unusual workout, however, my breathing was "off" for my run today and every minute of it was brutal. And I am weak and lethargic and feel like I'm coming down with something. :ohwell: Hopefully someone with more experience will know....
  • kspeach
    Cheryl....I have been taking a day off here and there, averaging between 4-5 days of going to the gym per week, and about 1 day walking. I did like 45-50 days with like only 2 days off that entire time (mostly walking, gym at the end), going into the end of June.

Nina, I just had my B12 checked last week, and my shot, so my counts are all normal on my blood work and meds right now.

It did work into a migraine later on :(, but it helped a LITTLE when I finally got home a little bit ago and ate some supper. I had a protein bar after working out, and some G2 grape. I also ate about 90 minutes before working out; that usually hasn't been a problem from me.

It's probably either the heat or being overtired. Last time I had a migraine was in June after getting heat exhaustion (stroke almost); it lasted 3 days. I'm going to call the doc in the AM and see if she can get me a few migraine meds. Tonight was horrid! Will let you know if anything changes....but I am GLAD I'm not the only one with this...but wish none of us had it! LOL
  • Not sure if you will want to hear this and I may well be wrong BUT your symptoms sound similar to want happened to me a while back when out of total devotion and determination to get off a weight loss slow down/plateaux i did similar time and type of exercise which you have mentioned most days of the week. my dietician told me to stop doing as much training - knock it down to 50 mins for 6 days a week with resistance training only twice and I would be surprised how this helped I WAS OVER TRAINING !!!!!! She also suspected that without me realising it I was eating too much as I was very hungry with all the exercise.

I did the 50 mins - 60 mins recommendation and ate 3 meals + 3 snacks and hit my 64KG target I had been set before i ws allowed an operation.. In the last 2 years i have put on 5 kg that why I have joined this website to enable me to get it off again as in total I had lost 130kg 0r 287pounds and no way want to put it on.

Good luck .
  • kspeach
    Not sure if you will want to hear this and I may well be wrong BUT your symptoms sound similar to want happened to me a while back when out of total devotion and determination to get off a weight loss slow down/plateaux i did similar time and type of exercise which you have mentioned most days of the week. my dietician told me to stop doing as much training - knock it down to 50 mins for 6 days a week with resistance training only twice and I would be surprised how this helped I WAS OVER TRAINING !!!!!! She also suspected that without me realising it I was eating too much as I was very hungry with all the exercise.

I did the 50 mins - 60 mins recommendation and ate 3 meals + 3 snacks and hit my 64KG target I had been set before i ws allowed an operation.. In the last 2 years i have put on 5 kg that why I have joined this website to enable me to get it off again as in total I had lost 130kg 0r 287pounds and no way want to put it on.

Good luck .

Thanks. I'm tracking my calories and foods, so I'm not overeating at all. It is quite possible that when I add in the swimming, I'm doing a bit too much, but it's so hard to resist! And I don't feel like I get my heart rate up enough or burn enough calories doing only swimming or swimming plus 1 other cardio on my cardio days. So far, the headache is gone today....
This discussion has been closed.